Disappointing series endings

emelee

What TV-shows do you think had disappointing endings?

IMO, I will forgive shows for bad endings if they were cancelled when the writers were not ready for their show to end. But bad endings when a show was planned to end in good time - not so much.

Most recently, How I met your mother. That ending was an epic fail. I know some of you haven't seen the final season yet, so I won't say much more than that. 

Sopranos is another show.

Going straight to black in the middle of a scene? I would have prefered it if a rival family had entered and opened fire against them and having then the screen fade to black. If they were ever to continue the show, some might have been killed, and others survived. A little loop hole for fans. Some have stated that Tony was killed, others that the viewers were killed all because of a talk Tony had with someone about how it must feel like to get wacked. That you probably aren't even aware, and don't even hear to gun shot. But I didn't really get that connection while watching. They didn't make that clear enough if that is what they intended. It would have helped to see someone picking up a gun. 

Alf was obviously not intended to end when it did.

Alf was taken by the authorities to undergo tests. You just cannot end a show there! But that was the network's fault.

Desperate Housewives ended badly IMO. And they knew before it was to be the end. No excuses.

Everyone ended up happily reunited, super successful etc EXCEPT one family. Mike died and Susan was left devastated and alone. What the...?! I was never a huge Mike/Susan fan, so I was not disappointed for that reason. I was disappointed that they singled out one of the wives to end up like that. And not just any of the wives, but the most kind and innocent one. 

X-files. I don't really remember how it ended, other than that it was confusing.

At least Mulder returned is all I can say.

Friends. The second half of the last season felf like all air had gone out and everything felt ridiculous. 

Seinfeld... I don't really know what I think of that ending to be honest.

While I think it was fitting that they got arrested for being selfish jerks (like they were being portrayed for the most part of the show), and having lots of people testifying about how they had treated them (getting even!) - I still don't get why they had them wander around in some strange town. It would have been better if it had happened in New York and having had a judge who was bitter because of a chain of events that they stared themselves. 

Edited by Michelle
spoiler tags added

Can you please remember that not only do shows air at different times in different countries, but also that many people watch a show a lot later, due to box sets / netflix etc. Please do not give away spoilers for shows - especially the endings! 

Can you please remember that not only do shows air at different times in different countries, but also that many people watch a show a lot later, due to box sets / netflix etc. Please do not give away spoilers for shows - especially the endings! 

I keep forgetting that that is the rule on this forum. Doh!

Sorry Raven, this was discussed over 2 different threads, and your point was discussed on the other one. As you can see, that guideline was quite a few years ago, and as I pointed out above, more and more people watch things later, mainly because of netflix / sky box sets etc. I have therefore deleted that old guideline.

The whole point is really about consideration for others - not everyone watches the same shows at the same time, so please be careful about what you give away outside of spoiler tags. :)

Dexter, The end just didn't make sense.

Actually, I liked the ending and thought it made perfect sense!

It's many years ago, but whenever I see James van der Beek I think of Dawson's Creek, and I'm still bitter about that ending.

I'm rewatching all of Dawson's Creek at the moment, but I can only remember parts of the ending (mostly who Joey ended up with—I still can't decide whether I'm happy with her decision!).

I was pretty sure something happened to Jen but I couldn't remember when and I got sick of waiting so I looked it up yesterday. :)

I'd add the final episodes of Star Trek: Voyager and Smallville.

Voyager was never the strongest Trek series anyway, but the way the writers got themselves out of the corner they wrote themselves into was very poor.  Add to that you had been waiting to see the ending that happened for seven seasons and for it to all be over in a minute or so was more than a little disappointing.

Similarly, Smallville's final episode was also very flat for the same reason (but in this case we had been waiting ten seasons to see it!).

He abandoned his kid to someone, who had been trying to poison him, He stole his sister's dead body from a hospital and sailed into a storm and then reappeared on his own as a Lumberjack.

Edited by dex