14 by Peter Clines

Michelle

This is another of those books which is difficult to describe without giving too much away, whilst being a book you want to tell everyone to read! 

Nate is on minimum wage, and needing somewhere cheap to live, so when he's told about an apartment building which fits the bill he jumps at it. Once moved in, he starts to spot some strange things, such as a padlocked door, a false door, a lift which has never worked, and glowing cockroaches. He starts to get to know some of the other residents, and they decide to investigate.

I was expecting a haunted house genre, but this is much more about SF and fantasy - but just as importantly, I just loved the characters that the author develops. The actual story is quite slow to get started, but by the time it does, you're so invested in these characters that it makes it come alive. 

Cline also drops in lots of references to horror writers and pop cultures, some of which I probably missed - if you like Lost, Fringe, Doctor Who etc, you'll find yourself grinning when you hear them.

Highly recommended, and I've moved straight on to Ex Heroes by the same author. 

(From what I can see, this is out for the kindle and as an audiobook, with the paperback coming soon.)