20. "Wolverine: Origin" - Paul Jenkins, 4/5

21. "Run or Die" - Kilian Jornet, 5/5

August

22. "Born to Run" - Christopher McDougall, 5/5

23. "Sunset Song" - Lewis Grassic Gibbon, 4/5

24. "What I Talk About When I Talk About Running" - Haruki Murakami, 4/5

Edited by anisia

• 5 weeks later...

Are we allowed to comment already?  :hide:  Let me know if not, and I can ask a mod to delete this post! :) 

Happy to see your new reading log! And happy to see you gave Girl, Interrupted such a high mark. It's been on my wishlist for ages. I've seen the movie, but I wasn't a big fan... But I'm sure the book will be so much better. Was it all dark and serious or was there a ray of light and some humour in it? 

• 2 months later...

Are we allowed to comment already?  :hide:  Let me know if not, and I can ask a mod to delete this post! :) 

Happy to see your new reading log! And happy to see you gave Girl, Interrupted such a high mark. It's been on my wishlist for ages. I've seen the movie, but I wasn't a big fan... But I'm sure the book will be so much better. Was it all dark and serious or was there a ray of light and some humour in it? 

Because you know...an answer 3 months later, is better than no answer ;) I definitely didn't find it all doom and gloom, and actually thought it was better than the movie? Which I did like! Just, the book seemed somewhat more realistic. 

I'm obviously not going to post notes all of a sudden for all the books I read this year, so I'll start with August  :P

22. Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

Goodreads description: An epic adventure that began with one simple question: Why does my foot hurt?

Isolated by Mexico's deadly Copper Canyons, the blissful Tarahumara Indians have honed the ability to run hundreds of miles without rest or injury. In a riveting narrative, award-winning journalist and often-injured runner Christopher McDougall sets out to discover their secrets. In the process, he takes his readers from science labs at Harvard to the sun-baked valleys and freezing peaks across North America, where ever-growing numbers of ultra-runners are pushing their bodies to the limit, and, finally, to a climactic race in the Copper Canyons that pits America’s best ultra-runners against the tribe. McDougall’s incredible story will not only engage your mind but inspire your body when you realize that you, indeed all of us, were born to run.

Personal Note

I started reading this after doing a bit of research on the best books about trail running and ultra-running. I had read a few books before that left me very inspired, and since I've started running a lot more, I'm always looking for inspiration! This book in particular seems to be one of the best, comes recommended on every site and by every runner.

It was very good. I hadn't heard about the Tarahumara people, their view of life and community is fascinating. The book is filled with information about running, not in a "lesson" type of way (which is exactly what I don't want), but through the various anecdotes, you pick things up. Very well written, although I felt at times some of the descriptions were a bit long - I think that's more particular to me than anything. 

Highly recommend the book! 

Rating: 5/5

Edited by anisia

23. Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon

Goodreads descriptionFaced with a choice between her harsh farming life and the seductive but distant world of books and learning, Chris Guthrie eventually decides to remain in her rural community, bound by her intense love of the land. However, the intervention of the First World War leaves her choice in tatters. Chris is now a widowed single mother: her farm, and the land it occupies, is altered beyond recognition—trees torn down, people displaced. But although the novel describes a way of life which is in decline, it also presents a strong image of hope. Chris adapts to her new world, displaying an intuitive strength which, like the land which she loves, endures despite everything. Sunset Song is a testament to Scotland’s agricultural past, to the world of crofters and tradition which was destroyed in the First World War. It is a powerful description of life in the first few decades of the century through the evocation of change and the lyrical intensity of its prose.

Personal note: I finished Sunset Song by Lewis Grassic Gibbon, which I started last week. It’s a great read, though I have to say getting used to the language took a while. I do love strong female characters, and this book is exactly right for that. On a personal note, I enjoyed reading about a different Scotland, seeing it from a different perspective.

Rating: 4/5

Edited by anisia

Because you know...an answer 3 months later, is better than no answer ;) I definitely didn't find it all doom and gloom, and actually thought it was better than the movie? Which I did like! Just, the book seemed somewhat more realistic. 

Glad to hear you thought it was better than the movie :) Coincidentally I just checked the availability of the title at my future hometown's library and they have copies, so I will soon get a chance to read the book. I'm looking forward to it! 

I'm obviously not going to post notes all of a sudden for all the books I read this year, so I'll start with August  :P

22. Born to Run by Christopher McDougall

Goodreads description: An epic adventure that began with one simple question: Why does my foot hurt?

Isolated by Mexico's deadly Copper Canyons, the blissful Tarahumara Indians have honed the ability to run hundreds of miles without rest or injury. In a riveting narrative, award-winning journalist and often-injured runner Christopher McDougall sets out to discover their secrets. In the process, he takes his readers from science labs at Harvard to the sun-baked valleys and freezing peaks across North America, where ever-growing numbers of ultra-runners are pushing their bodies to the limit, and, finally, to a climactic race in the Copper Canyons that pits America’s best ultra-runners against the tribe. McDougall’s incredible story will not only engage your mind but inspire your body when you realize that you, indeed all of us, were born to run.

Personal Note

I started reading this after doing a bit of research on the best books about trail running and ultra-running. I had read a few books before that left me very inspired, and since I've started running a lot more, I'm always looking for inspiration! This book in particular seems to be one of the best, comes recommended on every site and by every runner.

It was very good. I hadn't heard about the Tarahumara people, their view of life and community is fascinating. The book is filled with information about running, not in a "lesson" type of way (which is exactly what I don't want), but through the various anecdotes, you pick things up. Very well written, although I felt at times some of the descriptions were a bit long - I think that's more particular to me than anything. 

Highly recommend the book! 

Rating: 5/5

Great review! I've heard of Christopher McDougall and I have one of his books on my wishlist. It may have been this exact one, I can't remember for sure. I really need this sort of inspiration at the moment :) I was going to ask if you've read What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, but then had the good sense to check out your first post in this log. Can't wait to read your review on that one! :)