Jonathan Stroud

Michelle

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

i'm about half way through this now and I'm really impressed. It's not at all what I thought it would be (but I suppose that's what you get for judging books by their covers right? :D )

I find he writes very similar to Terry Pratchett but for a slightly younger audience. The same wit and humour injected into a simple but descriptive narrative.

I only started this book a day ago and i'm already half way through. Very easy to read and an enjoyable story to boot. Can't wait for the next ones.

Kat

:catlove:

• 2 months later...

I've read and enjoyed two of Stroud's Bartimaeus trilogy, The Amulet of Samarkand and The Golem's Eye. (I haven't yet read the last one.) Both are very good, though I enjoyed the first slightly more.

He does remind me of Pratchett in his use of hilarious footnotes (something which Terry doesn't use nearly as much as he used to - bring them back, Terry!) from the sarcastic Bartimaeus. I'm looking foward to reading Ptolemy's Gate.

I've also read a couple of Stroud's other books for young adults. The first one I read was called The Leap, and I wholeheartedly recommend this - it's excellent. On the strength of this, I then read another of his which involves teenagers camping out in a castle. I'm not sure of the title, it might have been something like The Keep, but I was very disappointed and sold it on eBay! But Stroud has certainly redeemed himself in my eyes with the Bartimaeus trilogy. :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I managed to finish the trilogy now and in a way I'm quite sad, it's like a good friend moving away :)

What a brilliant set of books though, I loved this story. Definately worth a read if you would like some low level fantasy and fun to be around characters.

• 4 years later...
  • 9 months later...

This is also my review of the graphic novel of The Amulet of Samarkand:

This was my first experience of a graphic novel, but as a huge Bartimaeus fan, I couldn’t resist. I read The Amulet of Samarkand some time ago, and listened to the audio version fairly recently – I love the characters, the ideas, and most of all the wit and humour.My first impression of the book was very positive – the art, provided by Lee Sullivan is extremely vivid and detailed. It bring the story to life, and compels you to keep reading. My main concern was whether something would have to give as the story was compacted, but I shouldn’t have worried. The story is all there, and whilst I’m sure details are missing, they were nothing noticeable. Some of Bartimaeus’s lines will be missing, but that general feel of his wit and cheek remains.

The joy of this format is that there’s something for everyone. For the reluctant reader, I would imagine graphic novels are more inviting, and the art work in this be enough to pull most people in. The characters and stories are all there, and it may even encourage them to go on and pick up the rest of the series – although they are sadly not in graphic form yet.

For those who are already fans, such as myself, it’s a welcome addition to my book shelf, and I certainly enjoyed revisiting the story in this format.

I really like these books! I read The Amulet of Samarkand at the recommendation of a friend, and didn't have high hopes - but couldn't put it down! I think a lot of bad children's fantasy got published that year and it sort of got lost among that. One thing that's really good about it is that it never seems to talk down to the reader (presumably child).

When I got to Ptolemy's Gate, I was really curious about The Other Place...and I didn't think it was going to go there. But I was so glad Stroud decided to take that leap. The ending stunned me a bit, but it certainly wasn't a *bad* ending...

• 1 year later...