Using Tablets and Notebooks

Virginia

I bought a Samsung Galaxy Note 2014 a few months ago and while I do love it, its tricky to get certain things done. For instance I find that I don't do much by way of typing and making long responses because its so time consuming pecking away. (I ordered the detachable keyboard and its coming tomorrow) but with those, I still have to deal with the tiny keyboard. I've always dreamed about sitting at the park and typing up my novel or responding to comments but its just not happening. I was on another forum (this board) and there was a question about a writing program. I'd love to get one but I'd have to use my laptop because I have not found an effective way to type on my note.

How do you make the most of your note/tablet? Do you find you are limited to what you can type? If not, what do you suggest I do to make it more efficient and enjoyable experience?

I like touch-screens in general, but I think its only because they're something new. But I don't like writing on them. Yes, the answers take longer, become shorter at the same time and the typos get more. And a lot more, that is!!!

Hah, I have a mini ipad now, and am very short in posting when on it.  I haven't figured out how to highlight a sentence to copy and paste yet.  Oh well, that's what grandma, here, the desktop is for. :D

Not grandma, pontalba, that's quite commonplace as you see.

LOL, thanks LW, but I actually meant the laptop was grandma. 

Bad sentence construction on my part. :D

Hah, I have a mini ipad now, and am very short in posting when on it.  I haven't figured out how to highlight a sentence to copy and paste yet.  Oh well, that's what grandma, here, the desktop is for. :D

Pont, I have an Asus Nexus, so not sure if it's the same, but if I leave my finger on a word I want to highlight, two little blue arrow thingies come up. You can move them to highlight how much you want. At the top of the page it comes up with Copy etc, you click the copy. Then when you get to where you want to paste it, you tap and hold again (there MUST be a proper word for that I'm sure! :roll: ) and 'Paste' will appear. Tap on that and  .....voila!! Hope that works for you :D It can be a bit fiddly sometimes.

Pont, I have an Asus Nexus, so not sure if it's the same, but if I leave my finger on a word I want to highlight, two little blue arrow thingies come up. You can move them to highlight how much you want. At the top of the page it comes up with Copy etc, you click the copy. Then when you get to where you want to paste it, you tap and hold again (there MUST be a proper word for that I'm sure! :roll: ) and 'Paste' will appear. Tap on that and  .....voila!! Hope that works for you :D It can be a bit fiddly sometimes.

Yep, that sounds similar to the way it's done on the iPad. I don't use mine much for typing because it takes too long. I prefer my laptop for that. I mostly use my iPad for games/music etc.

I am now sitting here typing on my new detachable bluetooth keyboard. I definitely like it better than the one I had with my Samsung tab 10.1. I didn't have to do anything to pair it and the keys are not as small as I thought they would be. I'm glad I splurged and got this as I am now realizing that my keyboarding skills have deteriorated!

Whats also cool is that I can remove the keyboard from the case and still type. NICE!

I have an iPad and I prefer using a detachable keyboard when I need to write long posts/emails etc. I mainly bought the iPad because I travel a lot so it's easier to lug along rather than my hefty laptop.

There are some downsides to using the tablet - I tend to have a lot of tabs open at once which my iPad can't handle, and ultimately it is bigger version of the iPhone rather than a laptop. But I find it useful for what it's supposed to do - get me onto the internet in a timely fashion and browse websites swiftly. I also find it helpful that the apps on my iPhone are transferred straight to my tablet, along with any work I have saved.

I know a few people who read ebooks on their tablets. I have tried, but the glare is too much for me. It's like staring at a computer screen for too long, I prefer to relax when reading rather than squinting against the bright light.

Glad you're enjoying your tablet so far. I was recommended to buy one for my studies, but I don't think it gives me a distinct advantage in any form. It's more of a luxury really.

Edited by Angury

Thanks! It works a treat!!

Thanks! It works a treat!!

Glad it works for you. What I find I do, which is so funny, is use another finger to type after I've copied. It's like I sub-consciously think the information is in that finger and if I use it for anything else, I'll lose it (the information that is, not my finger!) :giggle2:

Does anyone else do this, or am I just particularly strange?? :crazy:

Glad it works for you. What I find I do, which is so funny, is use another finger to type after I've copied. It's like I sub-consciously think the information is in that finger and if I use it for anything else, I'll lose it (the information that is, not my finger!) :giggle2:

Does anyone else do this, or am I just particularly strange?? :crazy:

No, poppy, we're not strange, it's everyone else in the world.  We are the only sane ones................. :lurker:  :cat:  :cool:

I find tablets a lot easier to swallow than notebooks  ... :giggle2:

Oh, Har! :rolol:

No, poppy, we're not strange, it's everyone else in the world.  We are the only sane ones.................  :lurker:   :cat:   :cool:

Oh, yes!!!! That's for sure! We are definitely the only ones in the world who aren't lunatics!

:I-Agree:

• 3 months later...

I am frustrated and have a problem.

Problem #1- We have a Samsung Tab... (lol ya, but not really) 

The real problem: Everytime my daughter watches you tube video or Netflix movie for over 20 minutes, the screen goes back to the (blue) home screen.  I tried adjusting the screen mode, but no avail.  I also had her move her finger around once in awhile.  Still goes back to home screen after a certain amount of time (about 20 mins).  Does anyone have any suggestions?  Customer service was a joke and I just got done telling them so.  If you don't have a Samsung Tab, don't get one!

Edited by Anna Begins

I've tried everything I can think of and now I have to go in store for a "complete reboot and cache".  I have to bring my laptop and her USB cord so they can download all her apps and games, then their reboot thing, then transfer all of it back.  Is this going to screw up my computer too?

I wish you luck with having your issues sorted out, Anna Begins. I own a Samsung tab, however, it has barely been out of the packaging. I'm sorry, I can't offer any suggestions.

I have found that I don't really like tablets...I can't even give a decent reason as to why I dislike them, I just don't. My laptop and smart phone are my internet/app appendages.

I wish you luck with having your issues sorted out, Anna Begins. I own a Samsung tab, however, it has barely been out of the packaging. I'm sorry, I can't offer any suggestions.

I have found that I don't really like tablets...I can't even give a decent reason as to why I dislike them, I just don't. My laptop and smart phone are my internet/app appendages.

I don't really like them either.  I have a Microsoft Surface with a keyboard and it acts as a laptop for me.  I got the Tab for my daughter to play games and watch you tube and Netflix.  I love my Kindle Fire, but I don't use it for posting or any writing.  Oh- and you can just call me Anna :smile:

Edited by Anna Begins

I hope you can get things sorted, Anna! I have a tablet (leftover gift from my grandma) but I don't use it a lot. I mainly use it for playing some Android games. I use my phone more often to watch YouTube videos than my tablet. Good luck Anna :).

I hope you can get things sorted, Anna! I have a tablet (leftover gift from my grandma) but I don't use it a lot. I mainly use it for playing some Android games. I use my phone more often to watch YouTube videos than my tablet. Good luck Anna :).

I did, actually.  After 20+ minutes and all that transferring business with Customer Serivice, I just went into the store and they had it fixed and explained to me how to fix it in about 2 minutes. :banghead:

I ordered an email of the conversation I had with the tech support guy.  The first two lines went:

Me: When my daughter watches any videos on you tube or movies on Netflix, after 20 minutes, it stops and goes back to the home screen.

Tech: That's disappointing.

I mean, seriously??? :o

Edited: BTW it was the RAM that was almost used up.  If anyone with a Galaxy Tab has this problem, I can help!

Edited by Anna Begins