Need Some Help Please.

What kind of books are you interested it? Do you like mysteries, classics, horror, fantasy, etc.? It's hard to just throw out titles, but I can tell you some of my favorite authors.

Charles Dickens (classic)

Jane Austen (classic)

Charlotte Bronte (classic)

J.R.R. Tolkien (fantasy)

John Sandford (mystery)

Douglas Preston and Lincoln Child (thriller)

Anne Rice (horror)

Stephen King (horror)

John Saul (horror)

Maybe with some more information, we can help you out! :lol:

I haven't really read much so I don't know but. I'm not really into like heavy magical type things or things all about monsters and such. Like I can't stand reading or watching Harry Potter. Umm...I like animals but I want to kinda go away from them. I'm 15 so I'm into like mysters/murders/love stories/etc

Hello littlefadingstar,

I just finished a book about a 15 year old girl who is in high school.

I really enjoyed this book, it's called: Dairy Queen by Catherine Gilbert Murdock

The kids tease her because she lives on a milk farm and has to milk the cows every morning. She does make friends ... it's not a sad book. It's got some surprises and is not a "kids book". I liked it a lot.

Hello and welcome to the forum, LFS! You've come to the right place for fiinding new books to try - we're all book-crazy here! If you have a look in the reviews section and the book blog section, you'll find LOADS of recommendations to choose from, and from many different genres and authors. I'm sure you'll find something that appeals to you.

To go from not reading, to 100 this year, is quite a jump! Why not aim for 1or 2 a month, or something similar.. read for the enjoyment! :lol:

Try looking up Jennifer Laurens.. it's the YA pseudonym for one of our members, KW. Magic Hands was good fun. Also, An Open Vein is one of hers, which a few members on here have enjoyed.

You will also find some good authors in our Young Person's section.

Good luck completing your goal of 100 books! I suggest going to your local public library and just browsing for a few hours. I often go and walk around snatching books off of the shelf that catch my eye or have an interesting summary--this is a great way to find new favorites!

I don't know if you're into medieval type stories, but I would recommend Crown Duel and Court Duel by Sherwood Smith. There's romance, action, and intrigue and I found them to be quite nice reads. If you like more modern stories I would suggest Martyn Pig by Kevin Brooks and Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson. Martyn Pig is a suspense book about an accidental murder with some nice plot twists that will keep you wondering "What next?" Speak was a dark, stunning story about a girl who suddenly stops speaking, apparently without reason, her freshman year of high school; as the story unfolds more and more surprising things are revealed about this girl's life to help give you clues as to the real reason she doesn't talk...but even then I was unprepared for the end which took me completely by surprise. Both of these books are definitely worth picking up as they are not very long (both around 200 pages) and hard to put down once you start reading. Again, good luck and I hope you come to enjoy reading as much as the rest of us do! :lol:

I've never really been into reading but I decided today that I'm really going to try to read a lot from now on. So I set a goal for this year. I want to read 100 books. Could anyone give me titles and a little bit about the book? Thanks

Hi LFS and welcome to the site. Wow 100 books is quite a challenge!! I am not the worlds fastest reader so I set myself a very loose goal of reading 25 books this year. If you want to aim high I suggest you pick some short ones LOL.

Hmm I'll have a think and see if I can recommend anything.

Don't forget to let us know how you get on with the books you do decide to try!

You're certainly in the right place for recommendations and we span quite an age range and genre range - something for everyone here. 100 books does sound a lot as someone who can only manage about 4-5 books a month.

When I lost track with reading - when my girls were very young - I read a couple of anthologies of short stories/extracts it was a good way of finding writers whose style I liked and then from there I went on to read their novels. Once you find writers you know you like, a good site like www.fantasticfiction.co.uk will recommend similiar writers.

Oh and forgot to mention - libraries are great for 'experimenting' with new writers as it's free and therefore makes you more likely to try something new.