Oh the places I'd go!

dtrpath27

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 8 months later...

My poor challenge has been much neglected! The experience with The Dubliners got things off on the wrong foot, and Anna Karenina, although something I honestly do want to read, was a bit heavy. I really think I needed to go with something lighter or more contemporary at the time. Not doing so made it all feel a bit like homework.

With the new year, however, comes new resolve. I am reigniting my literary challenge with a visit to Spain and a book that I am truly excited about: The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. I lucked across a copy in a used book shop for only $3.00 so I took it as a sign. I've only read the first five chapters so far, but I can't wait to read more! I love the beauty and richness of it all, and the mysterious undertones. So far it seems to be the perfect book to take me away to Spain. I'm sure this selection won't disappoint!

I've heard great things about The Shadow of the Wind! I hope you enjoy it :). I have it on my TBR, I believe I bought it last year at the charity shop.

Thank you! It's really going quite well. So many people on here have had positive things to say about it; I can't imagine it not going well.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow. Just wow. I just completed The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. What a beautiful way to visit Spain. Haunting, mysterious and intense - simply mesmerizing.

I'm so glad you liked it :)! I really must get around to reading it, some time..

I read The Shadow of the Wind with my book group, and considering how many people on the forum who've enjoyed it, it got a bit of a mixed response there.  I was certainly in the minority who raved about it, and others liked it but weren't as enthusiastic as me, and some others just couldn't get into it.  Glad to see you enjoyed it, and have travelled to Spain vicariously through it :)

Wow. Just wow. I just completed The Shadow of the Wind by Carlos Ruiz Zafón. What a beautiful way to visit Spain. Haunting, mysterious and intense - simply mesmerizing.

I'm so glad that you loved it!  :D

I read The Shadow of the Wind with my book group, and considering how many people on the forum who've enjoyed it, it got a bit of a mixed response there.  I was certainly in the minority who raved about it, and others liked it but weren't as enthusiastic as me, and some others just couldn't get into it.  Glad to see you enjoyed it, and have travelled to Spain vicariously through it :)

Yeah, I recommended TSotW at the reading group last year, but most of the people who had already read it thought it....meh. Mostly complaint was that the story was overblown.  Well, that recommended went down like a lead balloon  :negative:, but they were a cliquey bunch.  Do I sound bitter?  :blush2:  :giggle2: .

Yeah, I recommended TSotW at the reading group last year, but most of the people who had already read it thought it....meh. Mostly complaint was that the story was overblown.  Well, that recommended went down like a lead balloon  :negative:, but they were a cliquey bunch.  Do I sound bitter?  :blush2:  :giggle2: .

What's wrong with people?! :roll::giggle2:

Yeah,exactly - why is it that I'm the only one who is level headed and reasonable. *Teehee*

It's the same at my book group … you can almost guarantee if there's a book that everyone loves, I hate it, or if everyone else dismiss the book, I'll have loved it! :D  We've obviously just got better taste than them, eh Marie? :giggle2:

^  If you sound bitter, there's definitely good cause for it, Marie!  :D  :friends3:

?

I was a bit fed up with the reading group, as it was just an excuse for two of them to listen to the sounds of their voices. I felt pi**ed of each month after the group meeting. And they were in clique, which I don't like. I much enjoy "talking" to folks here!!

It's the same at my book group … you can almost guarantee if there's a book that everyone loves, I hate it, or if everyone else dismiss the book, I'll have loved it! :D  We've obviously just got better taste than them, eh Marie? :giggle2:

It got to the stage where I dreaded going, so I gave it a rest. I haven't missed it at all.

It got to the stage where I dreaded going, so I gave it a rest. I haven't missed it at all.

Mine isn't too bad … I've been going for nine years now, and I think I'm one still there from when I first started going apart from the librarian who runs it! We have had people who like to talk but not listen, and there was one person who always seemed to interrupt me whenever I was giving my opinion, but I don't think any of them have done it intentionally or with any sort of agenda, it's just the way they were. It's one of the few social evenings I have, to be honest, and I do enjoy the process of everyone discussing a book we've all read (or at least attempted to read! :lol:).

The only problem I have is that nearly everyone is older than me by at least 20 years, and nearly all are retired. There have been a few younger people who've come along, but they never last more than one or two meetings, so it doesn't encourage others to join. It's also all women, as again, men come along once and then decide they don't want to join a group of only women talking about books, but it's a vicious circle, as you can't get more men to come if there aren't men there already.

Mine isn't too bad … I've been going for nine years now, and I think I'm one still there from when I first started going apart from the librarian who runs it! We have had people who like to talk but not listen, and there was one person who always seemed to interrupt me whenever I was giving my opinion, but I don't think any of them have done it intentionally or with any sort of agenda, it's just the way they were. It's one of the few social evenings I have, to be honest, and I do enjoy the process of everyone discussing a book we've all read (or at least attempted to read! :lol:).

The only problem I have is that nearly everyone is older than me by at least 20 years, and nearly all are retired. There have been a few younger people who've come along, but they never last more than one or two meetings, so it doesn't encourage others to join. It's also all women, as again, men come along once and then decide they don't want to join a group of only women talking about books, but it's a vicious circle, as you can't get more men to come if there aren't men there already.

That is almost exactly as my group too - i's not young at all (nearly 50) but I'm still the youngest in the group. Anyone younger come to I session, and are seem ever again. Same with men, we only have one for at least 3 years, but he is quite funny - he's very like Lord Emsworth in the P G Wodehouse! :giggle2:

I was a bit fed up with the reading group, as it was just an excuse for two of them to listen to the sounds of their voices. I felt pi**ed of each month after the group meeting. And they were in clique, which I don't like. I much enjoy "talking" to folks here!!

Sounds like a ghastly bunch! :o I agree, a real life reading group with the BCF members would be much, much more enjoyable! And as that's hard to arrange, we'll settle for a virtual one :D

Chesil, 9 years with the same group? Wow, I admire your dedication :) 

Sounds like a ghastly bunch! :o I agree, a real life reading group with the BCF members would be much, much more enjoyable! And as that's hard to arrange, we'll settle for a virtual one :D

I managed to cope with them for three years, but I wasn't really enjoying going to the reading group.