A little help, pretty please?

Hello there kind strangers,

I was hoping you would be kind enough to help me with something here...

I never was much of a reader, something I intend to change as of now. I´ve been searching, this past few weeks, for books to read but there are so many books out there that i don´t even know where to start and i think i´m also a bit picky... I was lucky that i´ve found and red, these past couple of weeks, Shadow of the Wind, Mr. Penumbras 24hour bookstore and The Goldfinch, and i did enjoyed them but if they were a bit " heavier" then they would be even better.

So, what i ask of you is some recommendations on what to read next.

I would like books with a bit of a mystery, or bit of a thrill or a good drama, the main character a guy between 20-30 (yeah, i like to relate ;), but more importantly, that involves a lot into the human behaviour and psyche, the connections and feelings between us humans, and with a lot of really good and smart dialogues! Overall, a good story :)

Probably it´s alot to ask, still, i would be very very gratefull to you!!

So, many thanks in advance!

Best regards,

Me

Hello and welcome!  

In terms of mystery, you night want to try the Charles Lenox series by Charles Finch.  The first book is A Beautiful Blue Death.  Male protagonist in your target age range, historical, whodunit-style detective story.  Very enjoyable.  

A book that many of us have read recently and enjoyed is On the Beach by Nevil Shute.  Written in the 50s and set in the 60s, it is still relevant and thought-provoking today.  Again, male protagonist in the target age range, simple writing style but heavy subject matter, quite a bit of drama, and a great deal on human relationships.  Five stars, in my opinion.

A third book I recommend is Lexicon by Max Barry.  It's a psychological thriller set in the not-so-distant future where words have actual physical control over the minds of people.  One of the main characters is female, but she is not the sole focus of the book.  It is definitely not a chick-lit sort of book, if that's a concern.   :)  In fact, I would describe it as a bit gritty.  My husband also really enjoyed it.  Action, psychology, creative premise - definitely a don't put down, read again sort of book.

You'll be able to get some great recommendations from everyone here.  Feel free to stop by the Introductions thread so everyone can get to know you.  Happy reading!

Edited by dtrpath27

I love the Shadow of the Wind, and I'd absolutely recommend the next two books, The Angels Game and The Prisoner of Heaven. These do get a bit 'heavier' than the first book, The Angels Game in particular is quite dark. 

The Philosopher's Apprentice by James Morrow is a really interesting one for exploring human behaviour. It gets a little weird at times, but it really makes you think. (The main character in this a 27 year old guy by the way, I just checked :smile:)

I am the Messenger by Markus Zusak is also really good, although it's not at all a heavy going book to read it's a brilliant mystery and a really good exploration of human relationships (more so in the way we treat strangers than romantic relationships). The main character is nineteen, but that's only a year out :D

Good luck finding your next book anyway  :smile:

Hey!

dtrpath27 & Hayley thank you so much for your recommendations, i will definitely look into to those!

I know that wanting it to have a 20-30 years old male character, limits the possibilities, so i´m going to drop it.

Keep them coming so i can build a "to read" list. :)

Again, thank you for your kindness. :)

If you're looking for a bit more meat -

A Prayer for Owen Meany - John Irving.

The World According to Garp - John Irving.

Virtually anything by Neil Gaiman - mythical otherwordly but definitely meaty

Action / Mystery / Adventure and some historical factoids:

Assassin's Creed Series - Oliver Bowden 

Sci-fi / Fantasy

Boreal Moon Series - Julian May

Books of Stone and Water - Daniel Fox

Assassins Apprentice, Farseer Trilogy and Soldier Son - all by Robin Hobb

Historical Fiction

Conqueror and Emperor Series (unrelated) by Conn Iggulden

Hornblower - C.S Forester

Sharpe - Bernard Cornwall

Ramage - Dudley Pope

Other:

Life of Pi - Yann Martell

Hi Ayden & Welcome

The first book that came to mind was A Simple Plan by Scott Smith . It's not real "heavy, as you requested, but it does involved quite a dilemma and gets more involved towards the end . I think the 2 main characters would also be in the age range you are asking for .

It's a very good and exciting book !

• 2 weeks later...

Hello and welcome!  

In terms of mystery, you night want to try the Charles Lenox series by Charles Finch.  The first book is A Beautiful Blue Death.  Male protagonist in your target age range, historical, whodunit-style detective story.  Very enjoyable.  

A book that many of us have read recently and enjoyed is On the Beach by Nevil Shute.  Written in the 50s and set in the 60s, it is still relevant and thought-provoking today.  Again, male protagonist in the target age range, simple writing style but heavy subject matter, quite a bit of drama, and a great deal on human relationships.  Five stars, in my opinion.

A third book I recommend is Lexicon by Max Barry.  It's a psychological thriller set in the not-so-distant future where words have actual physical control over the minds of people.  One of the main characters is female, but she is not the sole focus of the book.  It is definitely not a chick-lit sort of book, if that's a concern.   :)  In fact, I would describe it as a bit gritty.  My husband also really enjoyed it.  Action, psychology, creative premise - definitely a don't put down, read again sort of book.

You'll be able to get some great recommendations from everyone here.  Feel free to stop by the Introductions thread so everyone can get to know you.  Happy reading!

Hello there! Just to say i just read Lexicon, and you were very much right, couldn´t stop reading it. I enjoyed it very much! If you have more recommendations on other books within this genre please share with me!

thank you! :)

Hello there! Just to say i just read Lexicon, and you were very much right, couldn´t stop reading it. I enjoyed it very much! If you have more recommendations on other books within this genre please share with me!

Hi there! :)

I recently read Lexicon too and enjoyed it. I've just read another book sent to me at the same time by the same publisher called Red Moon, which I've just reviewed in my reading log. Not sure if it's really your cup of tea but you could always have a look. :)

thank you! :)

Wonderful!  I'm so glad you enjoyed it.   :D I thought it might be along the lines of what you were wanting.  I'm reading Brilliance by Marcus Sakey.  I'm not very far into it, but it seems promising.  Let me think of what else might be similar...

Edited by dtrpath27

• 1 month later...