Avid Reader Saying Hello

StormyAlanna

Hi all,

I've been sitting here staring at a blank screen for what seems like ages trying to think of something witty to say as my introduction and have come up with zilch.  I have trouble introducing myself to new people in real life and thought doing so on a relatively safe place like a forum would be easy-peasy in comparison but apparently not.

So, here are the boring facts:

• I am a thirty-something female from the UK.
  • I work full-time and spend all day sitting in front of a computer so I'm trying to cut back on the time I spend online during the working week.  This means that I will be making most of my contribution to the forum at weekends and non-work days.
  • I have been an avid reader since I was a child and am wanting to revisit some of my old childhood favourites, as well as broaden my horizons and participate in some interesting discussions along the way.
  • I'm particularly fond of chick-lit, contemporary romance, young adult fiction and crime/medical thrillers, although I will give anything a try at least once and I'm always up for suggestions and recommendations.
  • I am slightly addicted to tea and drink copious amounts of the stuff.  I may also have a bit of a sweet tooth; if it's got chocolate on it, in it or over it, I will eat it.
  • I don't watch that much television but do have a really bad habit of having DVD boxset marathons and have become obsessed with various television shows because of it.  The latest to arrive is Seasons 1-5 of Castle which I will be starting shortly, so no doubt this will be my next new obsession.

So, that's basically me in a nut-shell.  I'm pleased to meet you and look forward to chatting to you all.

Hi Alanna, nice to meet you! It's easy to get addicted to those boxsets, isn't it? I find that Netflix has had a terrible influence on my TV-watching time. I've never heard of Castle, but my latest obsession is 24. :giggle:

Anyway, welcome to the forum! Hope you have fun here. :D

Hi Alanna,

welcome to the forum!

I watched the first 2 or 3 seasons of Castle on TV, until it became apparent that it would only be about the chase for the murderer of the detectives parents later on.

That's not my cup of tea.

Sorry! :o

And that's not a real spoiler, anyway  :giggle2:

As you don't know the series, its like most crime series, where a crime ist solved in every film of the series, mostly unrelated to the next one.

Sorry! :o

And that's not a real spoiler, anyway  :giggle2:

As you don't know the series, its like most crime series, where a crime ist solved in every film of the series, mostly unrelated to the next one.

Ah, fair enough! :giggle2: Thanks for enlightening me. :D

Welcome to the group Alanna!

I am often remiss in saying my "hellos" so please forgive me. This is a great place. Hope you enjoy it. I know what you mean about the obsession thing. I'm currently on a Monarch of the Glen, The Librarian and Father Ted bender. All episodes, back to back. Hubby also has me watching Once a Upon. We are addicted!

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I had a really good look around last night and, so far, I like what I see.  It's great to find some like-minded people to chat with about one of my favourite things - books!

I'm particularly interested in the Reading Lists / Blogs section of the board.  I love the idea of having a personal thread to post my book reviews and thoughts on, and it seems like a great way of keeping track of the books I read too.  Is that something newbies are encouraged to participate in or is it more for the established members?

Oh, and one more thing.  What is the general feeling about new members resurrecting old threads?  Is that frowned upon?  I don't want to step on anyone's toes so thought it best to ask first.  Thanks.

Thanks again for the welcome everyone.

Michelle - Thanks for replying.  It's good to know that no-one will be offended if I resurrect old threads.  I figured it would probably be okay to do so, rather than starting new threads which are duplicates to older more established discussions, but just wanted to double check.

Athena - It's nice to meet another chick-lit fan.  I personally like all the usual chick-lit authors like Sophie Kinsella, Jill Mansell, Melissa Nathan etc. but I've also just recently branched out into the contemporary romance genre, which to be honest is really just an extension of chick-lit.  I'm currently working my way through the back catalogues of Kristan Higgins, Julie James and Jill Shalvis all of which are very chick-litty in nature.

Athena - It's nice to meet another chick-lit fan.  I personally like all the usual chick-lit authors like Sophie Kinsella, Jill Mansell, Melissa Nathan etc. but I've also just recently branched out into the contemporary romance genre, which to be honest is really just an extension of chick-lit.  I'm currently working my way through the back catalogues of Kristan Higgins, Julie James and Jill Shalvis all of which are very chick-litty in nature.

x

I love Sophie Kinsella and Melissa Nathan too! I have yet to read anything by Jill Mansell but own a couple of her books. I'll have to check out the other authors you mentioned, thanks :).