Photo
- - - - -

Harry Potter - good or bad? (split from original HP thread)

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#21 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 02 April 2014 - 08:39 PM

I love the books because I love the books.

#22 Athena

Athena

Readaholic, BookWorm & BookEater

• Admin
  • 15,464 posts
  • LocationHelmond, the Netherlands

Posted 03 April 2014 - 09:53 AM

I also love the Harry Potter books. There is so much to the world in the books, in my opinion. We all have different opinions and we're entitled to them. People read different books, nothing wrong with that.

#23 Timstar

Timstar

The Scientist

• Advanced Member
  • 2,209 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 01:30 PM

and what you end up with is a bad book that was marketed incredibly well meaning that millions of 'fans' were deliberately created and taken for millions of dollars. 

I have no issue with making money but the implication that the masses are so easily manipulated into such hysteria over something so badly written is an indictment of our times.

If every one has finished jumping to conclusions and defending that which was not attacked ... may I make my next point?

I wasn't going to comment as CG is allowed her opinions, no matter how narrow minded and cynical, but I would like to put out the obvious discrepancy between the two posts above. Please don't try to take the high ground when you contradict yourself.

#24 CuriousGeorgette

CuriousGeorgette

Avid Reader

• PipPipPip
  • 162 posts

Posted 03 April 2014 - 03:09 PM

I wasn't going to comment as CG is allowed her opinions, no matter how narrow minded and cynical, but I would like to put out the obvious discrepancy between the two posts above. Please don't try to take the high ground when you contradict yourself.

I fail to see any discrepancy or contradiction but I am bowing out as it is clear that people are  unable to discuss a difference of opinion calmly and politely without it being viewed as 'personal' and the rebuttals failing to be anything but defensive responses which add nothing to a discussion. Why is it that people are unable to reply with a well thought out and reasoned response. There are as many, if not more articles defending why Harry Potter is a work of literary genius. How about sourcing some of those to defend your enjoyment of the book instead of reacting with emotion which achieves nothing but to kill the discussion dead? Should that have happened we could have had an interesting discussion. 

Edited by CuriousGeorgette, 03 April 2014 - 03:11 PM.

#25 poppyshake

poppyshake

Booklicker/Toastmuncher

• Advanced Member
  • 8,517 posts
  • Reading now?:The North Water by Ian McGuire
  • LocationCirencester, UK.

Posted 03 April 2014 - 08:29 PM

I fail to see any discrepancy or contradiction but I am bowing out as it is clear that people are  unable to discuss a difference of opinion calmly and politely without it being viewed as 'personal' and the rebuttals failing to be anything but defensive responses which add nothing to a discussion. Why is it that people are unable to reply with a well thought out and reasoned response. There are as many, if not more articles defending why Harry Potter is a work of literary genius. How about sourcing some of those to defend your enjoyment of the book instead of reacting with emotion which achieves nothing but to kill the discussion dead? Should that have happened we could have had an interesting discussion. 

You can't have an interesting discussion with someone who flatly refuses to believe that people are justified in liking these books. No one objects to anyone disliking the books .. what they object to is being told that they're being manipulated and/or that they wouldn't recognise a good book if they read one (to quote you 'maybe as you read more good writing you will come to see this'.) That's not even attacking the books, it's attacking the intelligence of the reader .. which is personal.

You've lived long enough in the world I'm sure to have already read the articles in Harry Potter's defence .. there seems little point in us trying to justify what you've obviously already dismissed. Plus what would be the point? In one of your previous posts you wrote 'Um no - the authors I mentioned I won't read anything by them, at all, ever. Don't even try persuade me'. If that's not killing a conversation stone dead then I don't know what is.

#26 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 April 2014 - 12:56 AM

Intelligent discourse is about exchanging ideas and views. Discourse is not about emotionalism. When emotionalism enters, arguments arise and reason does an Elvis. It leaves the building.

:giggle2: pearls of wisdom, Virginia :giggle2:

Edited by Virginia, 04 April 2014 - 12:56 AM.

#27 Angury

Angury

Bookworm

• PipPipPipPip
  • 272 posts
  • Reading now?:Writing at the Margin: Discourse between Anthropology and Medicine by Arthur Kleinman
  • LocationNorthern Ireland/Wales - UK

Posted 04 April 2014 - 08:37 AM

I fail to see any discrepancy or contradiction but I am bowing out as it is clear that people are unable to discuss a difference of opinion calmly and politely without it being viewed as 'personal' and the rebuttals failing to be anything but defensive responses which add nothing to a discussion. Why is it that people are unable to reply with a well thought out and reasoned response. There are as many, if not more articles defending why Harry Potter is a work of literary genius. How about sourcing some of those to defend your enjoyment of the book instead of reacting with emotion which achieves nothing but to kill the discussion dead? Should that have happened we could have had an interesting discussion.

I don't understand what you are trying to get across. Of course mass marketing was involved in Harry a Potter - and it certainly isn't the only novel involved. Books need publicity to sell - these days social media can have a huge impact on a books sales, but back when the first few books were released I don't think Facebook had such a role in people's everyday lives. Books, like movies or games need to tempt people with their product so they will get more sales - surely what you have been pointing out is a bit obvious? I don't think many people look at the number of sales of Harry Potter and say - seriously, a marketing was involved?!

That's just the way our world is - what's the alternative? Force everyone to read certain books which critics decide are the best books ever written? Can you imagine how dull our world would become?

Regarding your point about the books not being well written, I know very few people who believe the books are written well. But y'know what that's not the only reason people read books. They read them as a means of escape, as a way of realising that you're not alone.Harry Potter isn't just a simple book about magic - it's about school life and the struggles teenagers face during adolescence. Things like bullies, your first kiss, trying to get through tedious amounts of homework, that know-it-all who always gets everything right. It's about life.Even the dementors weren't simply made up - they stemmed from Rowlings own experiences of depression, something I'm sure many people can relate to.

Personally, reading Harry Potter was what opened the door into the world of books for me. It was a book that, as a kid, I could relate to. It want so densely written that I had to grab a dictionary every few minutes.And if people are reading rather than sitting washing TV isn't that a good thing? Imagine how many young kids Rowling inspired to read. Why does it matter what book the kids decided to pick up - what's important is that people are deciding to pick up books for themselves.

If you want to begin a conversation about mass marketing, I think there are far more important points you can talk about instead of what books people decide to read - such as Andrew Wakefields paper on the link between Autism and MMR which was published in a well known journal, the Lancet, despite having little evidence and Wakefield being paid £400,000 for his results, which then led to the measles epidemic in Wales in which one person died. If you're going to talk about mass marketing, I think there are more important issues on hand.

Regarding your point about numerous articles and websites criticising the Harry Potter phenomenon, that is nothing new. Books will always have their criticism especially best sellers.
What about the numerous websites that have been created by fans to discuss the storylines and characters in great detail? Isn't it a good thing that people have become united over a book series?

Here's a list of a couple of such websites:

http://harrypotter.w...er_fan_websites

Intelligent discourse is about exchanging ideas and views. Discourse is not about emotionalism. When emotionalism enters, arguments arise and reason does an Elvis. It leaves the building.
:giggle2: pearls of wisdom, Virginia :giggle2:

Unfortunately, I feel that emotionalism will always get in the way. We are after all human, and therefore flawed.

Edited by Angury, 05 April 2014 - 10:14 AM.

#28 Virginia

Virginia

Addicted!

• Advanced Member
  • 1,108 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 04 April 2014 - 06:20 PM

Ah yes, we are, after all, humans (in my Sheldon voice)!!  When we can respond like Dr. Spock things will be far more civilized but a lot less interesting. ;)

#29 pontalba

pontalba

Nabokovian

• Advanced Member
  • 6,324 posts
  • Reading now?:sooo far behind.....
  • LocationNorth of Lake Pontchartrain, Louisiana, USA

Posted 04 April 2014 - 07:53 PM

I hadn't read this thread, as I'm not a Potter fan.  Read the last one only and saw nothing to it.  Not fair, I know as the build-up is the thing. :)

However, reading that last one didn't move me to read the others (on my shelf, btw). 

I think, however, that the same sort of marketing strategy that was used for the Potter books was equally successful for the (dare I mention it :D ) Shades of Grey trilogy. And, yes, it's clever as heck, and very effective, and, I believe, highly manipulative.  But we all fall for it.   Nothing wrong with that, at all. 

I also believe that when we post something on any of these threads it is our opinion, and don't necessarily have to state IMO at every turn.  I'd assume that if someone posts something it is their opinion.  :doh:

#30 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,255 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 05 April 2014 - 09:36 AM

Pontalba, in your last paragraph, are you referring to all of the posters who has CG has upset? If so, the problem here is not CG's opinion of the HP books. No one has a problem with that (if I may be permitted to speak for everyone). The problem is that CG is belittling the intelligence of those of us who do like the HP books. I could point to several specific quotes, but others have already done that. It is OK to not like a book or an author. It is not OK to personally insult others when you state that opinion. This has always been a rule of this forum, and this is why the forum is (usually) so friendly—we are tolerant of contradicting opinions because they are expressed in a friendly manner. But occasionally one person comes along and spoils it.  :sarcastic:

#31 pontalba

pontalba

Nabokovian

• Advanced Member
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:06 PM

I hadn't read this thread, as I'm not a Potter fan.  Read the last one only and saw nothing to it.  Not fair, I know as the build-up is the thing. :)

However, reading that last one didn't move me to read the others (on my shelf, btw). 

I think, however, that the same sort of marketing strategy that was used for the Potter books was equally successful for the (dare I mention it :D ) Shades of Grey trilogy. And, yes, it's clever as heck, and very effective, and, I believe, highly manipulative.  But we all fall for it.   Nothing wrong with that, at all. 

I also believe that when we post something on any of these threads it is our opinion, and don't necessarily have to state IMO at every turn.  I'd assume that if someone posts something it is their opinion:doh:

Pontalba, in your last paragraph, are you referring to all of the posters who has CG has upset? If so, the problem here is not CG's opinion of the HP books. No one has a problem with that (if I may be permitted to speak for everyone). The problem is that CG is belittling the intelligence of those of us who do like the HP books. I could point to several specific quotes, but others have already done that. It is OK to not like a book or an author. It is not OK to personally insult others when you state that opinion. This has always been a rule of this forum, and this is why the forum is (usually) so friendly—we are tolerant of contradicting opinions because they are expressed in a friendly manner. But occasionally one person comes along and spoils it.  :sarcastic:

I meant "we", the generic "we" of any forum, any gathering.  That includes every poster on this forum, including CG and myself.. If I post something, it's pretty obvious it is what I think, and is my opinion.  I don't think typing IMO is absolutely necessary to say that what I write is my opinion. 

She stated her opinion, and it is at variance with the usual opinions expressed here.  Perhaps stated in not the most diplomatic terms, but I truly did not see anything that was insulting or mean to anyone.

I have no desire to rehash, I'm just stating my opinion. :)

#32 Janet

Janet

Rebel Without A Clue!

• Admin
  • 9,782 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

I have split this topic so that discussion of the actual story/book is in the original thread, and the arguments about whether it is great literature or not are in this thread as I don't want people who do enjoy it to be put off from posting about it.  

You can now talk about whether you believe it is good or not here.  I debated moving it to the Debate Forum (ha!) but I will leave it here for the time being.

#33 dtrpath27

dtrpath27

Addicted!

• 953 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 03:58 PM

Debated about debate. Lol.

#34 Kell

Kell

Star of the Show!

• Moderators
  • 10,143 posts
  • Reading now?:Not as much as I'd like!
  • LocationThe Frozen North

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:12 PM

It took me a long time to come to the Harry Potter books - it wasn't till after watching the third film that I thought I'd give them a shot as I thought there were a couple of things that could have been better explained in the movie and figured the book would fill in the gaps. Of course, to get to the third book, I would have to read the first two before it.

I fully acknowledge they aren't the most well-written books in the world, and that the plot and characters borrow heavily from other books, but I admit, I rather like them. And there's no denying they introduced a LOT of children who wouldn't ordinarily have chosen reading as a pastime to reading for pleasure, and that has to be a good thing. They also reminded many adults how much they'd loved reading as children, or gave them a love of it in adulthood - another good thing.

So, while I know there are countless better books out there, I kinda like these and am looking forward to reading them to/with my children. We're currently reading Charlie and the Chocolate Factory to Xander, but he has seen all the HP films and loved them, so I don't think it will be long before we start reading those to him, chapter by chapter, at bedtime too. He already loves books, and this kind of thing, with boy wizards, magical creatures, flying broomsticks, good versus evil battles etc, will be something that will engage him and help keep his interest in books alive, even when reading isn't seen as a "cool" thing for a boy to do with his time.

And when push comes to shove, they are FAR better written than the Twilight Saga nonsense, which I hate with a passion!

#35 pontalba

pontalba

Nabokovian

• Advanced Member
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:20 PM

You make a good point, Kell.  I think the atmosphere in which we have read a book, and therefore the memories attached make a big difference in this.  So, even if a book has certain flaws, it remains enjoyable because of the memories.

#36 Kylie

Kylie

Multifaceted Abnormal

• Moderators
  • 13,255 posts
  • Reading now?:Deciding...
  • LocationSydney, Australia

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:23 PM

but I truly did not see anything that was insulting or mean to anyone.

Really?! I just don't understand how you could not see that. (I could point out similarly insulting posts by the same person in other threads, but I'll just confine myself to this one.)

Anyway, I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall ( :banghead: ) trying to get people to understand etiquette here, so I'll leave this discussion...right after I say this: If half a dozen or more people have complained that one person has been insulting and patronising, then there IS a problem, whether or not you personally can see it, and said person needs to think more carefully about how they express their thoughts in the future.

ETA: And to be on topic, I think the HP books are written very well for what they are (children's literature).

#37 pontalba

pontalba

Nabokovian

• Advanced Member
  • 6,324 posts

Posted 05 April 2014 - 04:28 PM

Really?! I just don't understand how you could not see that. (I could point out similarly insulting posts by the same person in other threads, but I'll just confine myself to this one.)

Anyway, I feel like I'm banging my head against a brick wall ( :banghead: ) trying to get people to understand etiquette here, so I'll leave this discussion...right after I say this: If half a dozen or more people have complained that one person has been insulting and patronising, then there IS a problem, whether or not you personally can see it, and said person needs to think more carefully about how they express their thoughts in the future.

ETA: And to be on topic, I think the HP books are written very well for what they are (children's literature).

In my opinion. that's a two way street.  All sides should remain respectful and not throw mud.

Re your ETA, you and 10 million others, so that's great. :)  I do think it's good that it seems to have gotten more children to read, I only hope it sticks with them.

#38 Michelle

Michelle

The Boss!

• Admin
  • 9,376 posts
  • LocationKent, UK

Posted 05 April 2014 - 07:49 PM

I seriously think it's time to draw a line under this whole thing. It's quite obvious that this 'discussion' could go round in circles for eternity, and the longer it does, the more people will argue, take sides, and fall out. Unfortunately I've seen it happen before on here, and I don't really want to go there again.

I think in this case everyone needs to agree to disagree - maybe it's more appropriate to have a discussion in the debating section about marketing in general?

#39 poppy

poppy

Far Out

• Advanced Member
  • 4,457 posts
  • Reading now?:A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
  • LocationAotearoa

Posted 05 April 2014 - 08:04 PM

I'm quite sure marketing had no effect on me reading Harry Potter books, in fact quite the opposite. I'm one of those contrary people who tend to ignore books that have a lot of hype attached. I had heard some negative views from conservative Christians who thought the wizardry and witchcraft contained in the books was harmful for children. As one of my sons had been given one for a gift, I wanted to form my own opinion. Well I loved them! I thought the world she created was highly imaginative and I can't say the writing struck me as poor at all. I don't feel the books are suitable for young children though, they get quite dark further on in the series.

There is always going to be marketing of products, for good or bad, you can't really expect otherwise. Just how much you let it influence you, is up to the individual.

(sorry Michelle, was writing and posting this before I saw yours :blush2:)

Edited by poppy, 05 April 2014 - 08:08 PM.

#40 Eleonora

Eleonora

Bibliophile

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 575 posts
  • LocationItaly

Posted 11 April 2014 - 08:02 PM

Sorry if I add something, I'm not sure if I'm allowed to here or in another section of the forum. So I must say I'm sorry if I'm doing something wrong. I just wanted to add that I read Harry Potter and enjoyed the books. I take them with me every time I go to the hospital because I need something to cheer me up among all that pain. In Italy the marketing was absolutely meaningful. Only something for the movie but starting from the Order of The Phoenix, nothing for the other four movie. I found a copy of the first book in a library when I was babysitting a dislessic 8 years old treasure. He chose the book .. well no, the end of his "choosing a book"song happened when he had his finger on the back of The Philosopher Stone. We read it together and we both liked it. It was even difficult to find the other books. And usally I'm not a sheep: I don't even wear labels or use chimical products as I home-make everything I use. If HP is just a marketing product read by people hit by a massive advertise, why did I read it if no advertisment was made here for the books? Once again, I'm so sorry if this post is in the wrong place. I didn't find another discussion on the topic. And I'm sorry if I got the whole thing wrong: I'm not native english. Feel free to delete this post if necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users