Digging to America by Anne Tyler

Polka Dot Rock

Digging to America by Anne Tyler

Paperback: 336 pages

Publisher: Vintage; New Ed edition (19 April 2007)

Language English

ISBN-10: 0099499398

ISBN-13: 978-0099499398

The blurb from the back

Friday August 15th, 1997. Two tiny Korean babies are delivered to Baltimore to two families with nothing in common. First there are the Donaldsons, decent Brad and homespun Bitsy and a host of relatives, taking delivery with characteristic American razzmatazz. Then there are the Yazdans, pretty, nervous Ziba and carefully assimilated Sami, with his elegant Iranian-born widowed mother Maryam, receiving their little bundle with wondering discretion.

Every year, on the anniversary of

• 1 year later...

Here is my review of the book:

digging-to-america.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

Friday August 15th, 1997. Two tiny Korean babies are delivered to Baltimore to two families with nothing in common. First there are the Donaldsons, decent Brad and homespun Bitsy and a host of relatives, taking delivery with characteristic American razzmatazz. Then there are the Yazdans, pretty, nervous Ziba and carefully assimilated Sami, with his elegant Iranian-born widowed mother Maryam, receiving their little bundle with wondering discretion.

Every year, on the anniversary of

Good to know you enjoyed it Katie. Though I see what you mean about it being a bit slow/ not focused enough on a character. I was a bit frustrated by that myself, as Maryam seems to be the focus point (tenuous, I know) but I would rather have followed more closely the girls.

At the end of the day though, it is more driven by its themes than the plot. I am very interested in those themes and felt she handled them really well so I loved the book. But I guess the story itself can seem a bit dull.