Books you should like...but don't

RE : The Hobbit :  A friend of mine back in my twenties insisted that I must read this book, then the whole of LOTR. I read as far as the sentence which stated it was Bilbo's "Eleventy-oneth" birthday and then I threw it down in disgust as a children's book. What else could it be? I never got to read LOTR and never got further than the first film either. Just not interested in that sort of fantasy.   

RE : The Hobbit :  A friend of mine back in my twenties insisted that I must read this book, then the whole of LOTR. I read as far as the sentence which stated it was Bilbo's "Eleventy-oneth" birthday and then I threw it down in disgust as a children's book. What else could it be? I never got to read LOTR and never got further than the first film either. Just not interested in that sort of fantasy.

I forced myself through the whole of LOTR and hated it. I refuse to read the Hobbit. I was forced to sit through all three LOTR films (we watch a film every Xmas Eve as a family and they were released every year. URGH.

The great Gatsby & Wuthering heights. There is no reason, compared to what I have liked in the past, for me not to like these two. But I just didn't like them. Especially Wuthering heights. I hated it so much. The characters especially. 

The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.  I know it's hugely popular, but it did nothing for me.  

Dracula - the book bored me, although I loved the recent TV adaptation.

Brideshead Revisited - in fairness, I think this was the right book at the wrong time.  I've kept it, because I suspect I might enjoy it if I read it again.

I tried reading The Hobbit in my 30's.  Hated it, couldn't finish.  bleech.  LOTR doesn't do a thing for me either.  Nor does Dune (ducking and running!). :)  Although I must admit to downloading Dune to my kindle recently.  Cheap, practically free.  Thought, what the heck.  I'll try.  One of these days.............

I did finish The Book Thief, and thought it made entirely too light of that atrocity. So, thumbs way down from me.

Read and finished Wuthering Heights by the hardest. 

• 2 weeks later...

Moby Dick. I was really disappointed because I expected to like it, but after just a couple of chapters I started to get bored.  And I just couldn't understand the point behind having whole chapters of facts about whaling (a subject I found disturbing enough to start with!).

I felt exactly the same about this book. The story started off ok, but it turned into a whaling encyclopaedia and this spoilt it entirely for me. I find whaling to be an interesting subject but I'd sooner read it in a reference book and not in the middle of a novel.

I'll also give Lord of the Rings a mention. It's a brilliant concept and I love the films, but I have tried to read the books several times and they don't hold my interest.

The Catcher in the Rye is the only book I have ever thrown across a room.

The game of thrones, I should like it, it has all the elements of a book that I would love but I can't seen to read them and I have tried on more than one occasion. I think I had managed to struggle my way to book three but Aye! I want to strangle all the characters and the only nice one dies! LOL

The game of thrones, I should like it, it has all the elements of a book that I would love but I can't seen to read them and I have tried on more than one occasion. I think I had managed to struggle my way to book three but Aye! I want to strangle all the characters and the only nice one dies! LOL

Oh good I thought I was the only one who had a problem trying to read these books.  I didn't get past the first book.