Most Unlikeable Fictional Character

poppy

A comment by CuriousGeorgette saying Scarlett O'Hara was one of the most unlikeable characters she'd ever read made me think of this question (so the credit goes to you CG :))

The first person that comes to my mind, someone I HATE with a passion, and hope dies the most excruciatingly slow, painful death imaginable, is Joffrey from The Game of Thrones. It's hard to imagine a more evil, cruel, sadistic, thoroughly nasty piece of work!

Who are the fictional characters you find the most unlikeable?

A comment by CuriousGeorgette saying Scarlett O'Hara was one of the most unlikeable characters she'd ever read made me think of this question (so the credit goes to you CG :))

The first person that comes to my mind, someone I HATE with a passion, and hope dies the most excruciatingly slow, painful death imaginable, is Joffrey from The Game of Thrones. It's hard to imagine a more evil, cruel, sadistic, thoroughly nasty piece of work!

Who are the fictional characters you find the most unlikeable?

LOL Scarlett gets right under my nose. I have an almost overwhelming urge to shake some sense into her stupid brain. Hmm I did say 'one of' so I must have others right? Let me think ..

Count Hasimir Fenring from Dune - his 'hmm' 'hmm' 'hmm' would drive me insane in about 2 seconds flat. Whilst in the Dune universe - Princess Irulan is also annoying, Chani is just too accepting of Paul's decision not to marry her, "come on girl fight for him!"  His sister Alia needed a hefty kick up the rear end. I know a lot of people don't much like Paul, but I like him. The burden of knowledge can be heavy at times and following a path only you can see, against all conventional wisdom is so astonishingly hard, and yet he has the inner strength to follow his vision, through all the hard horrible stuff right to the end, for the sake of all humanity over and above his own life. 

Thomas Covenant (Stephen R. Donaldson) is also super-annoying at times. It's like "OK fine you are sick - sympathy, but do you have to be so unremittingly stupid?" 

Princess Ce'Nedra from The Belgarion was a spoilt brat for most of the series, she only got a bit better towards the end. 

I'm sure there are more ...  I will have to think a bit.

ohhh I was reminded of another one the other day but ... let me think ... firing up the neurons, engaging memory banks ... *that smell is the brain working over time, ignore it* 

HEATHCLIFFE from Wuthering Heights. 

Arrrrrggggggg!  Double Ditto on that one.

Not only most unlikeable, but most hateable, IMHO. :D

:rolol:  Brilliant scene!

Angel Clare for me, I think.   :)  I know everyone is meant to dislike Alec (and let's face it, he's not likeable either!) but I despised Angel's

double-standards

.  Tess, fantastic book!  :wub:  Just ask frankie!  :giggle2: 

ETA: Although I did like Eddie Redmayne's version!  ;)

:rolol:  Brilliant scene!

Was it not indeed :lol:

Angel Clare for me, I think.   :)  I know everyone is meant to dislike Alec (and let's face it, he's not likeable either!) but I despised Angel's

double-standards

.  Tess, fantastic book!  :wub:  Just ask frankie!  :giggle2:

:lol: Coincidentally I was reading the Which Book to Burn the Last or some such thread earlier today, and I think Brian said he'd throw in Tess the minute he had the chance, and then there was your post saying you loved Tess. :giggle: And I thought, I still very much like Jänet even though she doesn't hate the book... :lol::friends3:

Angel Clare is a good one! As an answer to the thread, that is. Although I don't remember much about the novel... It's my brain trying to forget... :giggle:

:lol: Coincidentally I was reading the Which Book to Burn the Last or some such thread earlier today, and I think Brian said he'd throw in Tess the minute he had the chance, and then there was your post saying you loved Tess. :giggle: And I thought, I still very much like Jänet even though she doesn't hate the book... :lol::friends3:

:lol:  A good job too - I'd have to be very cross if you didn't like me! :giggle2:

Agree 100% on Heathcliff. I have never hated a fictional book character more! I hated him so much that I hated the book too. He was so dislikable in every part of his grown life. Some may say it's because he was treated so poorly as a kid, but that is no excuse for mistreating your child and the child of your love so miserably. I have never come across such a selfish jerk. 

Agree 100% on Heathcliff. I have never hated a fictional book character more! I hated him so much that I hated the book too. He was so dislikable in every part of his grown life. Some may say it's because he was treated so poorly as a kid, but that is no excuse for mistreating your child and the child of your love so miserably. I have never come across such a selfish jerk. 

Couldn't agree more!  Book and character.  I finally read it because I thought I should, and wanted to compare it to Jane Eyre.  Hah!