Best Author Competition

emelee

I was thinking we could do a little best author poll/competionion here. 

How?
1. Everyone is allowed to nominate up to 3 authors each that you feel is worthy of the title "best author ever" in this thread. 

2. Then I will collect all names nominated and do a little lottery of what author goes up against what author in a "X or Y" survey, where each BCF member is allowed to say his or her opinion. 50% of the nominated authors will then be eliminated.

Depending on how many authors get nominated in step 1, step 2 may get another round. 

3. When about 6 authors are left, I will create another poll. And the winner of them will win the competition and be titled the best author. 

Of course, it may turn into a popularity contest, but we'll see....

All authors in step 1 will qualify to step 2. So if you want to nominate an author already mentioned, save that vote for another great author you like. There is no reason for everyone to nominate the same author time and time again. In step 1, that really is not needed. 

All authors you submit for nomination has to be fiction authors

So, lets try this and see if it works.

Start nominating authors now!

Nomination process will end April 6, so you will have until then to nominate or change your nomination!

Edited by emelee

Oh, goody!  :D

Vladimir Nabokov (of course!)    ok, just reread instructions.....lemme think... :blush2:  :giggle:

John Banville (in either incarnation....meaning Benjamin Black)

Paul Auster

William Faulkner

Edited by pontalba

I added a final date for this first round. You all have until April 6th to nominate or change you nominations if you wish. Any nomination after that date will not be counted.

Assuming we're talking fiction, and as Ooshie has demonstrated yet again that our tastes do have a habit of frequently coinciding (I could have nominated any of those three!), I'm going for three of the female titans (if one can have such a person!) of English literature:

Jane Austen

Virginia Woolf

George Eliot

Edited by willoyd

George Orwell

Are we allowed non-fiction authors? If so;

Laurie Lee

Oh gosh, where were my head. I should have mentioned that!

No, fiction writers only in this competition. 

Oh gosh, where were my head. I should have mentioned that!

No, fiction writers only in this competition. 

Oh, okay.   Shame though - he's such a poetical writer.

Never mind.  I've been thinking today and I forgot to mention Daphne Du Maurier.  I haven't read all her stuff but what I have read has been fantastic.  :)

• 2 weeks later...

So the nomination process is now over and I will draw who will be up against who. 

New thread for that. This one will be locked, if I can do that as just a member...