How I met your... wait for it... mother

emelee

You actually get to see her? I lost interest in this series ages ago I just got bored waiting to see who the mother was. Also I just don't find the episodes that funny.

Edited by vodkafan

You actually get to see her? I lost interest in this series ages ago I just got bored waiting to see who the mother was. Also I just don't find the episodes that funny.

She first appeared in the season finale of season 8. As Barney & Robin's wedding weekend kicks off. The whole season 9 is about that weekend. Like the series 24

Don't worry, How I Met Your Father has already been commissioned!

I know, but I'm not sure that show will work. You can do a similar show, but the audience is more about characters and relationships between them. So it's absolutely no guarantee of success. I will guess that the new show will only last one season.

Edited by Kylie
Added spoiler tags

• 2 weeks later...

So I finally caught up to present episode. Tomorrow the final 2 episodes will air. 

The wedding has happened, and we've seen Ted with the mother in stories from the future, but not yet how they first met. Of course they are going to save that one for the last episode. 

And we've found out what the kids' names are. 

But of course there is that lingering question: is the mother going to die? 

Edited by Kylie
Added spoiler tags

Yep, I believe Finland is way behind, too, so already there have been quite a few spoilers in this thread for me :( For instance:

Barney and Robin getting married, and now I know in which episode I will first see the 'mother'  :rolleyes:

Edited by frankie

We're quite a few episodes behind you here in the UK, so please don't say too much Emelee!  We're upto episode 10 coming up this week, so it'll be quite a while before we get to the end.

It's so hard to know where everyone are in the seasons depending on what country you are from. When is it safe to mention things? Is it after the UK has aired the episodes? 

Knowing what I've said so far, there aren't many big spoilers. For instance,

the mother showed up

at the end of season 8. So you have obviously seen

her

already if you've seen all episodes so far. You must also know about the

Barney & Robin wedding

, as it has been previewed in season 8 as well. 

From what Frankie has said, I think some countries haven't finished airing all of season 8. I'd recommend using spoiler tags for the last two seasons just to be on the safe side. If in doubt, I always use spoiler tags. I think it's better to be extra safe than to risk ruining things for others.

From what Frankie has said, I think some countries haven't finished airing all of season 8. I'd recommend using spoiler tags for the last two seasons just to be on the safe side. If in doubt, I always use spoiler tags. I think it's better to be extra safe than to risk ruining things for others.

OK. 

But then there are missing a lot of spoiler tags in other threads. 

The thing is, some people don't even watch the series according to their home country's schedule. For all we know, in six months we'll have a new person joining the forum, whose friend will recommend her this series and she will start from season 1, of course. Which basically means that everything ought to be in spoiler tags, in every TV series thread.

I'm sure there are other threads of TV series where some stuff are said out loud and things needed spoiler tags. I'm not saying this is the only thread. :)

Like Kylie said, if in doubt, it's best to use spoiler tags.

I like the show, and think the actress playing the mother is perfect for the part.  I preferred the earlier seasons, and felt it dipped a bit in the middle (I just got a bit tired of all the back and forth between Ted/Robin/Barney), but I am really enjoying the last season.

The thing is, some people don't even watch the series according to their home country's schedule. For all we know, in six months we'll have a new person joining the forum, whose friend will recommend her this series and she will start from season 1, of course. Which basically means that everything ought to be in spoiler tags, in every TV series thread.

I'm sure there are other threads of TV series where some stuff are said out loud and things needed spoiler tags. I'm not saying this is the only thread. :)

Like Kylie said, if in doubt, it's best to use spoiler tags.

Then what do we do with films and books? Spoiler tag everything? I really do want to know so that there is a rule or a guideline to follow. It's good to know.

There are some guidelines for discussing television shows on the forum here -> http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/2141-tv-shows-spoilers-etc/

Thanks. 

So the guidelines say that

With regards to tv shows such as Dr Who, Lost etc, once the show is aired in the UK, spoiler tags are not needed. 

But that raises one question: How are we non-UK residents supposed to know when certain episodes air in the UK? 

Oh well, easier to put everything in spoiler tags.  :smile:

My opinions on how the series ended:

It was HORRIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!! And I understand why a majority of viewers are disappointed now.

The mother (Tracy) died after 11 years with Ted.
Robin & Barney's marriage only lasted 3 years because Robin put her career first.
Barney ended up reverting back to his former self, and ended up having a daughter with some random woman.
So when Ted tells his now grown kids about how he met their mother (or as I would claim: everything that happened before he met their mother!) they tell Ted to go after Robin.

WTF?!

The writers said last year that they regret not making Robin the mother. But that ship sailed away a long time ago. Why on earth go back? And do this crappy ending!

Seriously disappointed in how they ended it. Why even bother with the "How I met your mother" story, when all Ted ended up doing was tell them about his friends and Robin, and just a tiny tiny bit about their dead mother?

I will forget that the last episode ever happened. In my mind, HIMYM ended with Robin & Barney getting married and lived happily ever after. And Ted finally meeting the mother there in the rain and lived happily ever after with her.

One of many articles about fans being enraged by the ending:

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/how-i-met-your-mother-series-finale-twitter-angry-fans-201414

Edited by emelee

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks. 

So the guidelines say that

But that raises one question: How are we non-UK residents supposed to know when certain episodes air in the UK? 

Oh well, easier to put everything in spoiler tags.  :smile:

You'll notice that these guidelines were written a little while ago. As I've just said in another thread, lots of people are now picking up older shows, thanks to box sets, netflix etc.

I know spoiler tags can upset the flow of a post a little, but if they're not used, people are going to avoid the threads until they've watched it all, so there won't be much discussion going on. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Should write it in this thread too... The HIMYM spin-off "How I met your dad" has been cancelled by CBS. They did not like the pilot episode and declined on the show. It can still pop up on another channel though.

IMO, good decision. HIMYM wasn't that excellent in the first place. Do not need a spin-off.