The Memory Keeper's Daughter- Kim Edwards

Michelle

This stunning novel begins on a winter night in 1964, when a blizzard forces Dr. David Henry to deliver his own twins. His son, born first, is perfectly healthy, but the doctor immediately recognizes that his daughter has Down syndrome. For motives he tells himself are good, he makes a split-second decision that will haunt all their lives forever. He asks his nurse, Caroline, to take the baby away to an institution. Instead, she disappears into another city to raise the child as her own.

http://www.memorykeepersdaughter.com/

This is one of those books that I picked up on a whim.. and I'm glad I did. The initial story is handled well, and the events are believeable. These early actions then go on to affect so many people as they go through their lives. The book takes you on the various journey's, as they all intertwine.

I enjoyed reading it, and it has stayed with me. There aren't many books I would consider reading again, but this one has just been added to that pile.

• 1 month later...

Is it me, or is the print rather small? I bought a 'normal' copy (so I thought) in Smiths, but I don't know whether I'll read it - it's not that I need large print or anything like that, but when it's in a smaller than normal font I find it difficult to read!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

Here is my offering:

It should have been an ordinary birth, the start of an ordinary happy family. But the night Dr David Henry delivers his wife's twins is a night that will haunt five lives forever.

For though David's son is a healthy boy, his daughter has Downs Syndrome. And, in a shocking act of betrayal whose consequences only time will reveal, he tells his wife their daughter died while secretly entrusting her care to a nurse.

As grief quietly tears apart Davd's family, so a little girl must make her own way in the world the best she can.

My thoughts:

I have had to give this review a lot of thought as this book deserves the very best. This is a very moving story which is I think tragic yet not depressing. Phoebe, the daughter is such a beautiful character who I found inspiring and was written in such a way that the innocence of Downs Syndrome was made very believable in this book.

Each of the characters had their own traits both good and bad and you couldn't help but feel sorrow for the unfairness of their lives. I was pulled in from page one and would highly recommend this book and give it a 10/10.

I enjoyed 'The Memory's Keeper Daughter', it was so sad but there was positives there too which was nice to read.

• 4 months later...

Oh my, I feel so bad now. I just can't go on with this book any more. I'm bored.

Initially, I was intrigued by the story and was pulled in by lovely reviews from people here and in the literary world but I just can't carry on. It's very rare that I don't finish a book, most of the time I can push myself on to the end but I've read about 150 pages and that's it. I feel I have to apologise, but I'm not sure why :blush:

Oh my, I feel so bad now. I just can't go on with this book any more. I'm bored.

Initially, I was intrigued by the story and was pulled in by lovely reviews from people here and in the literary world but I just can't carry on. It's very rare that I don't finish a book, most of the time I can push myself on to the end but I've read about 150 pages and that's it. I feel I have to apologise, but I'm not sure why :)

What was it that has made you decide to stop reading the book?

Initially, I was intrigued by the story and was pulled in by lovely reviews from people here and in the literary world but I just can't carry on. It's very rare that I don't finish a book, most of the time I can push myself on to the end but I've read about 150 pages and that's it. I feel I have to apologise, but I'm not sure why :)

I too struggled with this book. I did finish it in the end but I guess i didn't really get into any of the characters. I think it got better in the second half but at the end i still found it disappointing.

What was it that has made you decide to stop reading the book?

There was nothing specific, I just found that I wasn't interested anymore. It wasn't enjoyable to carry on and I was bored. It's a shame because it's very rare for me to not finish a book. The worst thing is, I feel relieved that I don't have to carry on any more.