Is Gravity Science Fiction?

Raven

I was walking home from work this evening contemplating a post someone had made on another forum (yes, they do exist!) and the question:

Is Gravity Science Fiction?

Entered my mind.

Yes, it is set in space, but there is very little in it that is speculative or futuristic.  To my mind it's just a disaster film in a space setting.  Change the space shuttle for a boat and to an extent you have the plot for the Poseidon Adventure!

I haven't seen it, but from what I know about it I would agree with you that it seems more disaster film than sci-fi. Sci-fi is usually more of a futuristic fantasy, Gravity (as far as I know) is just about a normal modern astronaut.

That's a very interesting question! 

I think I would have to agree that it's a disaster film rather than sci-fi -  which would have been my initial response without thinking about it - 'cos it's set in space.

Either way, it's a great film, and a testament to great writing, acting etc that a film can maintain your attention for the entire length of the film with only one person on screen for the majority of it.

I wouldn't say a 'disaster film,' but more like 'thriller.' It is a great film! I've seen it 7 times since I bought it! Granted that all but the first was with the volume off, and the radio cranked up. As for sci-fi, I'm not sure, but it's definitely a thriller!