Elizabeth George

I think it shows great talent to be able to write in such a way as to make one believe the author is from that country when in fact, she is not.

So true! I couldn't believe it at first when I learned that she isn't English!

• 6 months later...

I read two of hers maybe 15 years ago. I love the first one. The second one, I vaguely remember was about a crazy violinist or pianist. It was still well written, but the particular kind of insanity put me off. But this is all a bit foggy now. Should I try again?

The one about the disturbed violinist was a laboured read, due entirely to the long italicizes ravings in letters to his psychiatrist. Other books are better, that was good otherwise too.

Thanks for reminding me. It's been a while. I just remembered the unpleasant aftertaste. I'll give her another go. Even though I'm in the mood for more exciting locations ...

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I was given her new one (A Banquet of Consequences) for Christmas and will start it as soon as I've finished what I'm reading. I read and enjoyed all her books over many years up until about one in 2006 (What Happened Before he Shot Her) when I thought she'd gone off quite a bit. A lot of it written in Jamaican dialect. However, I did try again and they picked up after that.

• 2 weeks later...

I loved most of the Inspector Lynley series, but I thought it kinda got downhill a bit for me after the big twist.

I just can't like Isabelle (though I don't assume that she's supposed to be likeable), and I wasn't into the more personal bits about Havers, so I can't really say why, since I like her a lot otherwise.

I did like Just one evil Act a little better, mostly since there was not a lot of Isabelle, but damn, Havers is acting so immeasurable stupid in that one and Lynley is just a little better. And she gets off mostly scot-free, too. Why? That makes no sense to me. :banghead:

I hope Banquet of Consequenses will have a little enlightening on that subject, because I don't think I can accept it if her whole behavior last book will just be water under the bridge.

No, sakura, it's not water under the bridge in this one. She's been told to smarten up her act...or else. I've read about 100 pages and am enjoying it. I agree totally that George went off at one stage but this seems more like her old form.

• 2 years later...
On 05/03/2014 at 8:13 PM, Virginia said:

I'm addicted to Elizabeth George. I can't put the books down once I've started and I've watched just about every Inspector Lynley Mystery movie on netflix and dvd. I don't know what it is but I love settling down and getting lost all over England!

Anyone else a fan?

I like them Virginia.

I love the rolling narrative, plus Havers' personality.

I think a few are too long drawn out but I never know the killer before the end.

• 3 years later...
13 hours ago, Virginia said:

I have it but I'm waiting on the right time to start reading it. 

It's really good. I know that Monica Ali received scornful rebuke from sections of the Muslim community, for her epic Brick Lane. 

I am wondering if any condemnation will come Elizabeth's way for  depictions of life in certain other (often disparaged) communities, in this one? Brave woman anyway she is. 

• 8 months later...
On 6/13/2023 at 1:58 PM, itsmeagain said:

Anyone read a Banquet of consequences? Definitely one of Elizabeth's best books. Good action, keeping me guessing, great descriptive skills by our author, who knows such a great deal about English life in modern times. 

Hello, @itsmeagain, good to 'see' you. :)

I've not read ANY Elizabeth George, although I had heard of Inspector Lynley. I will have to catch up.....*gulp* 21 books and counting!

• Like 1