Elizabeth George

Me too, especially in a good mystery. What I've found most intriguing is how George has written her novel without the undue gratuitous sex and violently bloody scenes. She has such a way with conveying imagery that we can visualize what is being described without her really describing it. I mean, sex and violence arent' thrown in simply because she needs to make a word count. She doesn't drop the "f" bomb left, right and center. You "get" it without her having to say it. Excellent writing!

Elizabeth seems fixated on musicians , ie the story This body of death features a top violinist, and another tale where the woman dies on a London street in her car, features heavily, a disturbed opera singer I think.

Only dull part of her novels is interludes with St James and his wife, not dull just less good.

No problem.

The Edge of Nowhere

Overview

The first young adult book by a #1 New York Times bestselling author!

Whidbey Island may be only a ferry ride from Seattle, but it's a world apart. When Becca King arrives there, she doesn't suspect the island will become her home for the next four years. Put at risk by her ability to hear "whispers"—the thoughts of others—Becca is on the run from her stepfather, whose criminal activities she has discovered. Stranded and alone, Becca is soon befriended by Derric, a Ugandon orphan adopted by a local family; Seth, a kindhearted musician and high school dropout; Debbie, a recovering alcoholic who takes her in; and Diana, with whom Becca shares a mysterious psychic connection.

This compelling coming-of-age story, the first of an ongoing sequence of books set on Whidbey Island, has elements of mystery, the paranormal, and romance. Elizabeth George, bestselling author of the Inspector Lynley crime novels, brings her elegant style, intricate plotting, incisive characterization, and top-notch storytelling to her first book for teens.

One is called The Edge of the Water

Overview

A mysterious girl who won’t speak; a coal black seal named Nera that returns to the same place very year; a bitter feud of unknown origin—strange things are happening on Whidbey Island, and Becca King, is drawn into the maelstrom of events.

But Becca, first met in The Edge of Nowhere, has her own secrets to hide. Still on the run from her criminal stepfather,  Becca is living in a secret location. Even Derric, the Ugandan orphan with whom Becca shares a close, romantic relationship, can’t be allowed to know her whereabouts.

As secrets of past and present are revealed,  Becca becomes aware of her growing paranormal powers,  and events build to a shocking climax anticipated by no one.

• 2 weeks later...

I've never thought about it that way. And I must add, that I read the books with long spaces in between, so that I don't remember every detail. 

Do you remember the deaf girl Elena? She wasn't ugly at all.

Or the female politican, who rather had her daughter killed than admit adultery? (I know, that isn't a correct English sentence  :blush2:) I could have killed her, but she was a victim after all.

• 3 weeks later...

Is anyone currently reading her latest book in the Inspector Lynley series Just One Act of Evil?  It is a lovely hefty book and I am halfway through it.  It is easily (if not better) than some of the earlier books in the series as the characters are now well developed and this one centres around Azhar and Hadiyyah.  Perfect Bank Holiday reading :readingtwo:

• 3 weeks later...

I am a fan of Ms. George. and am heartened by by number of others who like her books. Many years ago, I used read another forum in which some (NOT all) UK posters were very dismissive of her, some rudely so. I was very surpised to find out she was not English. That only made her books so much more interesting to me. I read many UK authors, and from time to time would have to ask members of the former forum to explain an UK colloquialism when there wasn't enough context for me to figure it out. There was always someone to help out their American cousin.

Dismissive of Ms George? Wonder what was the problem there then.

Probably the fact that she's American? And writing stories about the UK?

Edited by LittleW