• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
Sign in to follow this  
Virginia

Elizabeth George

I'm addicted to Elizabeth George. I can't put the books down once I've started and I've watched just about every Inspector Lynley Mystery movie on netflix and dvd. I don't know what it is but I love settling down and getting lost all over England!

Anyone else a fan?

I love these too.  Unfortunately the movies don't seem to be shown here much.  I think I've seen two, but I'd love to see more.  Some of the books I've read more than once.

I could only find a few on netflix streaming and a few through their dvd's but was able to get the others from the local libraries.

I've only read the one book by her, which I enjoyed (which begs the question why I didn't go out for more?). I thought it was a testament to her good writing and research that I didn't realise till I googled her afterwards that she isn't English.

I'm a great fan of her!

Not only that her books are well researched, she's got a writing style that makes her books breathing England to me.

Absolutely love her writing style. She is an American,very surprising to find that out as she describes English life so well. Her way of describing Barbara Havers and her ways, Elizabeth's use of colloquialisms etc, are really good. Isn't Hadiyyah sweet? And I only picture Havers as she is in the DVDs, not dumpy as she is in book. Lynley,to me,has dark hair,as in film, but in book he is blond.

It really floored me when I found that she was an American. Who'd-a-thunk-it?! I always feel as though I'm right there with Lynley and Havers because her writing really draws me in and I find that I have to shake myself back to reality when I come to the last page. Hydiyyah is adorable. I was hoping that she would get together with Hadiyyah's dad, but they are both unbending and total opposites in so many ways.

I feel Babs Havers secretly carries an ill concealed,not fully consciously aware of the existence of, candle for her posh guv, don't you Virginia?

Edited by itsmeagain

I DID, at first, but I think she's all too aware that they are strictly oil and water. They will be the best of coworkers and friends but lovers? Ugh, I can't fathom it, lol! He's too stiff, she's too...Havers. Sadly, I think she'll end up with a cat and her memories as a DS. I don't know that George could actually develop a character to suit her particular charms!

I feel it is possible and all Havers needs is a kind and intelligent companion to ride life's waves with her. Shes very interesting as a character anyway.

Edited by itsmeagain

I really hope she finds love. She's loyal and kind and had a big heart. So what if she's a chimney with a cast iron stomach! Lol!!! She deserves a companion.

I have two books by Elizabeth George on my TBR, they are Inspector Lynley 5: For The Sake Of Elena and Inspector Lynley 9: Deception On His Mind. I bought them in a charity shop, not knowing they were part of a series. Hopefully I should be able to still read them though.

Deception on his mind is excellent Athena. It concerns a murder on a clifftop and is centred largely in the local Pakistani community. Thrilling crime drama.

Little W, I love that! ! "Breathing England" songs it up!

Well, I'd have a hard time to describe it in German, let alone in English.

Absolutely love her writing style. She is an American,very surprising to find that out as she describes English life so well. Her way of describing Barbara Havers and her ways, Elizabeth's use of colloquialisms etc, are really good. Isn't Hadiyyah sweet? And I only picture Havers as she is in the DVDs, not dumpy as she is in book. Lynley,to me,has dark hair,as in film, but in book he is blond.

I also can't picture them as they are in the books. Their movie characters are far too fitting for that.

But why on earth couldn't they find actors who look like in the books?

There should be a law that requires all film makers who are doing a book to film MUST make the film characters "look" like the book description!!!

Anyone ready to get a petition ready?

ME!

Worst thing was: that film in which Helen Clyde was shot was completely different from the book!

LOL

I love the way in her novels that most of the victims don't evoke the question of who had a motive but of whom of them was the first to strike!

Little W, you start one on your end and I'll start one on mine ;) and we'll get this thing going!

It is really amazing how the victims are often characters that seem to have generated so much hate. I mean, who has the ENERGY to have 3/4 of the people you know ready to do you in?

I dunno but it is good, she introduces characters then flits them out,eg the young lad whose dad hit him when the Old Bill turned up, in This body of death....the tree sculptor etc...