The Paradise

vodkafan

The Paradise  

1. 1. Is The Paradise worth watching?

• It's great you won't be disappointed
    • It's terrible don't bother
    • Only necessary if you are a complete Victorian freak
    • Never heard of this series

So.....I have heard that there is this Victorian  drama/soap series that they sneakily put out there without telling me.....it's got Elaine Cassidy in it who was very good in Fingersmith.  She does emotions on her face really well and looks good in a Victorian dress so that will be me hooked already really.....but is the series any good? Has anybody seen it and can tell me anything before I splash out buying the DVD?

So.....I have heard that there is this Victorian  drama/soap series that they sneakily put out there without telling me.....it's got Elaine Cassidy in it who was very good in Fingersmith.  She does emotions on her face really well and looks good in a Victorian dress so that will be me hooked already really.....but is the series any good? Has anybody seen it and can tell me anything before I splash out buying the DVD?

I had to google who Elaine Cassidy is. Oh she was wonderful in that series! I very much admired her work :yes:

How much would the DVD cost? Not too much I suppose... I enjoyed the series :smile2: Great actors, I think Cassidy was marvelous and I loved David Hayman in it. And I very much liked it that it wasn't one of the more 'usual' costume dramas, from the period of Austen etc. It was a really nice change :)

I will buy the DVD series 1 and 2 box set second hand from amazon.....it's not as cheap as I would like! But I am starved of something Victorian to watch at home......you can only watch Victorian Farm so many times....I have seen those sheep being born over and over....

I don't know whether The Paradise is worth watching, as I haven't watched it before. But I can recommend other of the novels of Emile Zola (his The Ladies Paradise has been adapted for The Paradise) :smile: .

I didn't watch the whole series but I did watch a couple of episodes with my sister and it seemed pretty good, the era seemed well represented, there were a few obvious references to things that were becoming popular at the time for example. I couldn't say for definite, since I only watched it a couple of times, but it seemed to be more focused on romance than anything else, which did put me off a little bit.

On the topic of Victorian series', did anybody watch Ripper Street and is that any good?

(and Vodkafan, did you watch Victorian Pharmacy? Think it was done by the same people who did Victorian Farm, it was really interesting too)

I didn't watch the whole series but I did watch a couple of episodes with my sister and it seemed pretty good, the era seemed well represented, there were a few obvious references to things that were becoming popular at the time for example. I couldn't say for definite, since I only watched it a couple of times, but it seemed to be more focused on romance than anything else, which did put me off a little bit.

On the topic of Victorian series', did anybody watch Ripper Street and is that any good?

(and Vodkafan, did you watch Victorian Pharmacy? Think it was done by the same people who did Victorian Farm, it was really interesting too)

Hi Hayley, yes Victorian Pharmacy also featured Ruth Gordon who is a Social Historian. But no I haven't watched it, the DVD was too expensive on Amazon when I looked. It's on my list though.  As I hardly watch telly I on discovered Victorian Farm by complete accident as I picked up the box set in a charity shop.

Ripper Street was enjoyable, some of the episodes a little far fetched to me and viewed the era through a prism of our own current attitudes ...but then what series does not? Even remakes of Jane Austen classics change things the same way.  

Edited by vodkafan

• 1 month later...

I just discovered this series on Netflix and watched the first episode.  It was so charming!  I loved the period costumes and the actors were all quite interesting.  I'll definitely be watching the rest to see where it goes.  Unfortunately, they only have season one on Netflix.  If I like it, I'll have to spread it out so I don't have also long to wait between seasons.

I just discovered this series on Netflix and watched the first episode.  It was so charming!  I loved the period costumes and the actors were all quite interesting.  I'll definitely be watching the rest to see where it goes.  Unfortunately, they only have season one on Netflix.  If I like it, I'll have to spread it out so I don't have also long to wait between seasons.

Goody! Please let me know what you think of it dtrpath. I still haven't taken the plunge and bought it yet. I am not sure but think there might be only two seasons in total. Could be wrong.

Well, I'm on to episode seven and I just love it.  It is so charming.   Moreover, just at the fork in the road when it could become annoying if they turned the wrong way, they turned just the right way and it became even more delightful.  It's a really pleasant way to pass an hour.  

• 7 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

How did you wind up liking the series? I'm anxiously awaiting the next season, but I watch on Netflix, so I'm always one behind.

Sorry dtr I only just saw your last post! Actually I still haven't bought it yet. I forgot about it for a long while then went to the website and grabbed a load of photos from the galleries only last week...I think I will soon buy it. There is going to be a third series but I am not sure BBC are doing it , they might have sold it on.