• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

December 2014

An Old Captivity by Nevil Shute

©1940

333 pages

This is the story of a Scottish pilot, Donald Ross, who is hired by wealthy Englishman Cyril Lockwood to lead an archaeological air survey mission to Greenland. Out of concern for her father, Lockwood's daughter, Alix, insists upon accompanying them on the arduous journey.

I rather enjoyed the story overall, and found Shute's deliberate writing style to be well-suited to it. As usual, he writes relatable characters of great depth. This story, however, had a bit of a tangent about reincarnation which made it the least favorite of his books so far. I was a bit tired and unfocused when I read it on Friday (probably a harbinger of my illness today) so I didn't quite get it at first, then even after I rather didn't care for the plot twist. As I said, though, I enjoyed it overall and would be happy to continue exploring Shute's writings.

Eta: Reading this story was rather like watching an old Cary Grant movie.

Edited by dtrpath27

December 2014

The Paper Magician by Charlie M. Holmberg

214 pages

So this is the first book in a series about magicians who can manipulate various materials. In this case, it tells the story of paper magician Emery Thane and his apprentice Ceony Twill and their struggle to defeat blood magician Lira.

Upon beginning this story, it rather felt as if the author was trying to write a Harry Potter-esque story for a slightly older audience. It seemed to find more of its own voice, however, as the story progressed. The development of the main character, Ceony, seemed dubious to me. She seemed much, much younger at the beginning; I had pictured her to be 15 or so as opposed to the 19 she actually was. I suppose both are still quite young, though! ;) I rather liked Emery and enjoyed learning more about him throughout the story.

I did enjoy this overall, and would be interested to see what the author (who is, by the way, a female!) does with the sequel. I liked the idea of it all quite a bit. It was a fun, easy read -- not incredibly challenging but enjoyable nonetheless.

December 2014

The Glass Magician by Charlie N. Holmberg

222 pages

This sequel to The Paper Magician takes a step forward away from the Harry Potter-wannabe feel that plagued much of the first novel. The Glass Magician unfolds as a love story between Ceony and Emery. It's sweet and charming. Definitely young adult, but a fun read nonetheless.

• 3 weeks later...

December 2014

Title: The Ocean at the End of the Lane

Author: Neil Gaiman

Pages: 178

How to describe this? Well, simply put, it's the story of a man who travels home for a funeral. Stricken by grief, he finds himself driving away from the event and seeking solace beside the pond at the home of his childhood friend and protector, Lettie Hempstock. What transpires, though, is both terrible and heartwarming, fantastical yet somehow more honest than anything one can imagine, crafted with that dreamlike quality that only Gaiman can achieve. Suspend disbelief and let him take you on a journey through this dark fairytale; it will be time well-spent.

I really enjoyed The Ocean at the End of the Lane too.  I really need to read more of his stuff though.  I've only read this and The Graveyard Book, which I loved. 

The Magician books sound interesting.  Are they a trilogy or a series?

The Magician books are nice! I believe she's doing a whole series as there are several different kinds of magicians mentioned in the book, so I assume she'll have a book focusing on each one. Like I said, at the beginning of the first one it feels a bit like a Potter knock-off, but then she finds her own voice and it really becomes quite enjoyable in its own right. Emery Thane, the leading man, is my new literary crush. ;)

I do love Neil Gaiman's writing, but don't read it as often as I should. I quite liked Stardust; if you enjoyed The Ocean at the End of the Lane, that might be a good place to head next.

I loved The Ocean At The End Of The Lane, you captured the 'vibe' of it really well in your review.  :smile: The Magician books have gone straight onto my New Year wish list.  :D

Thanks! I thought describing the feel was more important than the events on this one, if that makes sense.

I can't believe the new year is almost here! I already have my wish list going as well. ;)