Dune by Frank Herbert - March 2014

12 members have voted

1. 1. What did you think of the book?

• 5/5 - I Loved it
    • 4/5 - I Really Liked it
    • 3/5 - I Enjoyed it
    • 2/5 - It was OK
    • 1/5 - I Hated it

1. Did you like the book?   What was it that you enjoyed?  If you didn't like the book, what were your reasons for disliking it?

I enjoyed it a lot.  I liked the way the main characters were presented, and the world of Dune itself was fascinating.  I enjoyed the threads of religion, mythology and mysticism too, although they did make me wish I knew more about those in our own world as I found myself recognising parts but realising there was much more I could have identified with if I only had the requisite knowledge!

2. Did you have any expectations about the book before you started reading it, and if so, were they correct?

For some reason I expected this to be a bit of a dry, unenjoyable read - maybe I had read a bad review when I was young, or did the film with Sting maybe get poor reviews?  But I thoroughly enjoyed it and got through it in a few days.

3. Who was your favourite character...?

I liked Jessica a lot, and Chani and Alia too.  I felt quite sorry for the Princess Royal, although she did volunteer for the marriage-to-be.

4. ...and your least favourite?

I didn't really have a least favourite character, the "baddies" all served a purpose.

5. Was there a particular part you enjoyed more than the rest?

I really enjoyed the whole book, so it is hard to pick one part out.  I enjoyed the slow reveals of the powers of the Bene Gesserit, certainly.

6. Was this the first book you've read in this genre / by this author, has it encouraged you to read more?

I used to read quite a lot of Science Fiction, but don't read so much now.  I haven't read anything else by Frank Herbert.

7. Were there any parts/ideas you struggled with?

Not really.  I started skipping over the songs and poems as they didn't add anything to the book for me, and I could have lived without the quotations too.

8. Overall, was reading the book an enjoyable experience?

Yes, it definitely was.

9. Would you recommend the book and if so to whom?

I would recommend the book, to anyone who already enjoys Science Fiction or who would like to try the genre.

10. Will you read the sequels/prequels?

While I was reading the book I thought I would be happy just to read it as a stand-alone novel, but now I have finished it I do want to know more the worlds and mythologies that were created.  I can feel an Amazon search coming on!

Does anyone have a recommendation of what order to read the books in?  Are they best read in the order they were published?

yes that would work for Frank Herberts original 6 books.

When you start with the Brian Herbert & Kevin Anderson series you should read in sequence from the beginning. That said the House of ..... trilogy is worth your time and the current School of ...... trilogy is quite good [even if the third novel has yet to be published].

Whatever you do DO NOT READ: worms & hunters of Dune as they are really shhhhhhh!