Your Book Activity - March 2014

Kylie

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I started Foundation by Isaac Asimov today, it's quite a quick read compared to A Clockwork Orange.

Still reading The Shadow of the Wind, and it's still great  :smile:

Bought an ebook yesterday - Barbara Trapido's Sisters by a River: A Virago Modern Classic.

King mentions Charlie Manx & Christmasland in Doctor Sleep. Theres only one King book i dont really like and ive read it a couple of times and thats The Shining. I dont really know why, but maybe my disliking for that has crept into Doctor Sleep somehow, i suppose ill find out over the next few days. And yes, one of my favourite King books Rose Madder has a female protagonist, also Liseys Story.

Ya, I'm lovin' Vic.  I think it was you that recommended NOS4A2.

Ya, I'm lovin' Vic.  I think it was you that recommended NOS4A2.

She is good isnt she, very likeable character

Edited by geordie9

I'm about halfway through and it's a bit better now. I think it was one character in particular who I couldn't stand.

I know they are showing various viewpoints, and I'm only through the 4th person's chapter, but it doesn't seem to be balanced viewpoints with the beliefs behind those views being expressed in a reasoning manner. From what I have read so far

everyone believes Harry (who slapped the child) is in the wrong. Their only reasoning is that he was the adult, so he should have controlled himself. Then Harry's viewpoint is told, and instead of him trying to explain why he did what he did,  his character is presented in such a vile manner as to barely seem human! I mean he fantasised about bashing a 3 year old's child head in with a cricket bat!

It just seems to me that the author is saying that anyone who isn't against someone smacking a child must be deranged like Harry is.

Then again, I'm only half way through, and I have another 4 viewpoints to read, so maybe there will be a bit more depth later on. :huh: At the moment, it seems like it's all shock-value material, rather than an informed debate about a controversial topic.

Well, It's been a while since I read it, and the details have faded, but I believe there is a shift ahead. 

I have to admit that sometimes pure stubbornness is the only thing that kept me reading.  :readingtwo:

I've finished Rivers by Michael Farris Smith and The Black-Eyed Blonde by Benjamin Black.  Finally.  We've been glomming on Mad Men, and have finished all 6 seasons.  :giggle2:

I've finished Rivers by Michael Farris Smith and The Black-Eyed Blonde by Benjamin Black.  Finally.  We've been glomming on Mad Men, and have finished all 6 seasons.  :giggle2:

I do that too!  Once I get hooked on a show, I have to finish the whole thing and can hardly get anything else done until I do.  Netflix is the nemesis of my productivity!

x

I wish I could do a thing like that, I've always wondered what that's like, marathoning a series. I can only watch usually one, maybe two episodes at a time. Our internet is too slow for Netflix, but instead we have DVDs. On the other hand it might mean there's more 'time' for reading :).

Bought eBook of The Shock of the Fall by Nathan Filer for £3.49  :smile: .

x

I ordered a paper version of this book, it should arrive in a while. I hope you enjoy it :)!

I'm reading J. K. Rowling - Harry Potter 6: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince and Doris Wild Helmering and Dianne Hales - Slank Denken Slank Leven, the former of which is very good so far, the latter is good but not brilliant.

I am busy reading the seventh book, Sharpe's Havoc, in the Sharpe series by Cornwell and am in enjoying it.

x

I wish I could do a thing like that, I've always wondered what that's like, marathoning a series. I can only watch usually one, maybe two episodes at a time. Our internet is too slow for Netflix, but instead we have DVDs. On the other hand it might mean there's more 'time' for reading :).

x

:D  We get DVDs and sometimes stream through Amazon. We have Prime, so there are many that are free, and also sometimes the first season of something will be free.  It works out well. :)

:D  We get DVDs and sometimes stream through Amazon. We have Prime, so there are many that are free, and also sometimes the first season of something will be free.  It works out well. :)

x

Sounds good :)!

I finished reading Shiverton Hall at the weekend, which is one of the shortlisted books on the Waterstone's Children's Book Prize for this year.  Very good, and nice and creepy! :D  :hide: 

Started my reading group book for March today - The Help.  Not keen on the prose as well as the dialect being in prose in one of the characters sections, but I'm fifty pages in so far, and it's keeping my attention, but I do worry that I know so many people who've loved it, that I'll end up being disappointed.

I finished reading Shiverton Hall at the weekend, which is one of the shortlisted books on the Waterstone's Children's Book Prize for this year.  Very good, and nice and creepy! :D  :hide: 

Started my reading group book for March today - The Help.  Not keen on the prose as well as the dialect being in prose in one of the characters sections, but I'm fifty pages in so far, and it's keeping my attention, but I do worry that I know so many people who've loved it, that I'll end up being disappointed.

I found it difficult to get into 'The Help' at first. However, I would say keep going with it, as I thought it was a good book. Saying that however, you don't have to agree. I think this would make great conversation at a book group.

Finished NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.  Quite a read.  I did my first ever review on it in my thread :exc:

I'm still trying to stick it out with 1492 but think I will always need to read a book along with it.  I'm about 35% done, so I might as well stuggle along a little more. 

Now, the delicious decision of what to read next!! :P

I've began The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonassan.  It takes place in Sweden.  Great so far and I'm 28% in.

I've began The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared by Jonas Jonassan.  It takes place in Sweden.  Great so far and I'm 28% in.

I read it in January and really enjoyed it!  It's on my "to be reviewed" list.  It's a strange little tale, isn't it?