Your Book Activity - March 2014

Kylie

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Borrowed my first book from the Kindle Owner's Lending Library: The Slap by Christos Tsiolkas. I've been meaning to read this for a while (but somehow forgot all about it), so I'm glad to get it for free.

I read The Slap last year, and enjoyed it.  It's hard to take in places, but the representation of different viewpoints is great. 

Just started NOS4A2 by Joe Hill and I think I'm going to take up 1492: The Year the World Began by Felipe Fernandez- Armesto.  It's about what was going on all over the world in 1492.  I'm only into the samples so far, but I'm liking them both.  I don't usually read two books at once.

Finished The Pursuit of Love today, and I've really enjoyed reading it, although the ending was rather abrupt! :D

Yes .. rather took me by surprise that did .. it still catches me out when I re-read it (how could you Nancy? :D) You need to read Love in a Cold Climate now and then watch the drama which is a genius mix of the two (I'll put the DVD on your book pile .. I can put LIACC on there too if you like.) 

Getting on well with The Groucho Letters and The Book Thief (though .. oh bother .. Alan wants to listen to it now so I've gone back to the beginning again) and have also just started The Golem and the Djinni .. excellent so far  :) 

I'm reading The Color Purple by Alice Walker - I'm about 20% through it but not much seems to be happening...!  :shrug:

How are you getting on with this, J? I think I rated it a 3/5 in the end. It gets better, but it started very slowly for me. 

I'm still winding my way through Dracula. I'm not getting much time to read at the moment, but I'm nearly halfway through and it hasn't yet had the "must stay up an extra hour to read more" effect. 

Edited by Alexi

I read The Slap last year, and enjoyed it.  It's hard to take in places, but the representation of different viewpoints is great. 

I'm only up to the third chapter. It's ok, but one I'm glad I have borrowed rather than bought. It has many mixed reviews and I can see how it has divided people because of the content. It's the sort of thing everyone has an opinion on.

I'm still winding my way through Dracula. I'm not getting much time to read at the moment, but I'm nearly halfway through and it hasn't yet had the "must stay up an extra hour to read more" effect. 

Sorry you are not enjoying Dracula as much as you'd hoped. Hopefully your next read will be better.

Finished Tokyo by Mo Hayder last night.  I'm still trying to decide what I thought of it.

Edit: I'm picking up Cockroaches by Jo Nesbo from the library today.  I've been waiting to get to the top of the reserve list for that since December.

Edited by bookmonkey

How are you getting on with this, J? I think I rated it a 3/5 in the end. It gets better, but it started very slowly for me. 

It is warming up now. I probably shouldn't have started it at the moment- my head's not really in the right place (in a manner of speaking... it's still on my shoulders!). :giggle2:

The Slap is getting on my nerves now. I'm finding it so offensive, in so many different way. I'm hoping it's for the author to make some kind of point, and that's the only reason I'm sticking with it. :censored:

The Slap is getting on my nerves now. I'm finding it so offensive, in so many different way. I'm hoping it's for the author to make some kind of point, and that's the only reason I'm sticking with it. :censored:

I thought the author was really trying to show how, culturally, people view something of that nature so very differently.  Personalities, culture, even generationally.......all mixed in different ways to show the why and reasoning of their individual feelings on something so very volatile.  Of course it's offensive, I wonder if that, in a way, wasn't the point.  Sometimes that is the only way to bring people together to an understanding.

Im halfway through Doctor Sleep and its just not as good as i thought it would be, i cant believe im actually saying that as im such a massive Stephen King fan, im definitely hoping the book picks up a bit.

Im halfway through Doctor Sleep and its just not as good as i thought it would be, i cant believe im actually saying that as im such a massive Stephen King fan, im definitely hoping the book picks up a bit.

Someone else just recently gave that one up too.  Kinda glad I didn't read The Shinning just to read it.

Almost done with NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.  Loving it.  Took awhile, but now I am totally into it.  I love when King and Hill have a female protagonist (Barker does a good job with that too).

1492 is slow going, just spent about 50 pages on what was going on in Spain (boring, no offence but I already know quite a lot from the period, just by reading world history), but now getting into what was up in Africa at the time.

Kinda funny but NOS4A2 is about 600 pgs while 1492 is about 350.

My best friend is a huge King fan too. She said Doctor Sleep was a bit disappointing at first, but then she really loved it!! I hope it will be just the same for you.

My copy of The Help is finally here!! :hyper:   And so is Neal Shusterman Unwind .. so now I'm all excited and I can't wait to start them both! :e010:

Someone else just recently gave that one up too.  Kinda glad I didn't read The Shinning just to read it.

Almost done with NOS4A2 by Joe Hill.  Loving it.  Took awhile, but now I am totally into it.  I love when King and Hill have a female protagonist (Barker does a good job with that too).

1492 is slow going, just spent about 50 pages on what was going on in Spain (boring, no offence but I already know quite a lot from the period, just by reading world history), but now getting into what was up in Africa at the time.

King mentions Charlie Manx & Christmasland in Doctor Sleep. Theres only one King book i dont really like and ive read it a couple of times and thats The Shining. I dont really know why, but maybe my disliking for that has crept into Doctor Sleep somehow, i suppose ill find out over the next few days. And yes, one of my favourite King books Rose Madder has a female protagonist, also Liseys Story.

My best friend is a huge King fan too. She said Doctor Sleep was a bit disappointing at first, but then she really loved it!! I hope it will be just the same for you.

My copy of The Help is finally here!! :hyper:   And so is Neal Shusterman Unwind .. so now I'm all excited and I can't wait to start them both! :e010:

I hope so thanks !!

x

I hope it picks up later on.

x

x

I'm glad you're enjoying NOS4A2, the book is on my wishlist. I hope 1492 gets more interesting later on.

x

I hope you enjoy both books :)

I gave up on The Slap after a few pages for that very reason. Sometimes I can just tell when I'm not going to like a book. :(

I'm about halfway through and it's a bit better now. I think it was one character in particular who I couldn't stand.

I thought the author was really trying to show how, culturally, people view something of that nature so very differently.  Personalities, culture, even generationally.......all mixed in different ways to show the why and reasoning of their individual feelings on something so very volatile.  Of course it's offensive, I wonder if that, in a way, wasn't the point.  Sometimes that is the only way to bring people together to an understanding.

I know they are showing various viewpoints, and I'm only through the 4th person's chapter, but it doesn't seem to be balanced viewpoints with the beliefs behind those views being expressed in a reasoning manner. From what I have read so far

everyone believes Harry (who slapped the child) is in the wrong. Their only reasoning is that he was the adult, so he should have controlled himself. Then Harry's viewpoint is told, and instead of him trying to explain why he did what he did,  his character is presented in such a vile manner as to barely seem human! I mean he fantasised about bashing a 3 year old's child head in with a cricket bat!

It just seems to me that the author is saying that anyone who isn't against someone smacking a child must be deranged like Harry is.

Then again, I'm only half way through, and I have another 4 viewpoints to read, so maybe there will be a bit more depth later on. :huh: At the moment, it seems like it's all shock-value material, rather than an informed debate about a controversial topic.