Children's Books.. for adults too?

Michelle

• 5 months later...

This is what my MA and PhD are in!

There's a book just come out, I read a proof copy and loved it, called The Sky is Everywhere, by Jandy Nelson. It's funny and charming and really entrancing, but have some tissues handy, too. I had to come inside because I was sat in the garden, reading and sobbing.

I know it's been briefly mentioned, but Philip Reeve's Mortal Engines is a superb book. It's incredibly visual, and for a short book packs a lot of punch. It's just been optioned as a film, and done well I think it could be spectacular. One of my promises to myself when I decided to do a PhD was that I'd put time aside to read further along the series.

Geraldine McCaughrean's authorised sequel to Peter Pan, Peter Pan in Scarlet, is wonderful. The writing is so beautiful I actually text my friend an excerpt from the train, and it's got a wonderful magic to it. There's a sense of melancholy to the book that really rings true, the children all falling silent when Peter asks them to play war has stuck with me.

I agree with lots of the books already mentioned, some children's books i've enjoyed as an adult are:

The Dark is Rising Sequence Susan Cooper

Lola Rose Jacqueline Wilson, a children's book with the very adult theme of domestic violence.

Of course HArry Potter. I also still love Phillip Pullman's His Dark MAterials (which I first read as a teenager). The Boy in the Striped Pjamas is a good one too. I'm sure there are more but that's what I thought of off the top of my head.

Funny how the same one's keep cropping up. Some truly great authors here. My favourites are definitely His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman and The Dark is Rising Sequence by Susan Cooper. Ooh, and the Earthsea novels by Ursula le Guin.

And, of course The Hobbit and LOTR by some chap whose name I can't remember. :lol:

Oh I've never heard of The Hobbit or LOTR Mac, you must give us a synopsis!

:D

They're both about a single twenty-something woman who has recently moved to the city after a nasty break-up with her High School sweetheart, a Jock called Chet. Devastated, yet resolute to succeed in the high-flying world of Fashion magazine 'Flaps', Joely encounters more than her fair share of mishaps, missed opportunities and mis-loves! You'll laugh! You'll cry! You'll stab yourself in the eyes just in case you read any of this rubbish by accident in the future. :lol:

All of my favourite books enjoy the non-stop world of fashionistas, of down-trodden twenty-something girls who are *plucky/kooky/scatty and looking for Mr. Wright (if only they'd give me a call, I'd send them to my best friend Tom Wright's house - he's always looking for the 'Right-One'), of twenty-something girls who are bullied by their insensitive bosses but manage to rise above it and become their misunderstood bosses best and indispensable friend. You should see my bookshelves. It's a sea of pinks, creams, lime greens and saccharine coated vomit.

Mmm hmm? What's that? Time for my medicine? Yes, nurse.

:lol:

*delete where applicable

Michael Ende's Neverending Story, Garth Nix's Old Kingdom trilogie (think these are YA books), some Thea Beckman books are great even when reading them now. Harry Potter obviously. "Torenhoog en Mijlen Breed" by Tonke Dragt, a Dutch writer, havent read it in a while but it's just a lovely book, taking place on Venus, but a Venus different than what is, a Venus covered in high, lush forests that break down anything sythetic, and believed to be inhospitable to men too, with a native intelligent species living in these woods. I don't know IF it's been translated, it probably has cause it's not a new book (read it when I was little, that's 20 years ago or sth) and it's quite famous.

But there are some more, can't think of em now. :lol:

• 7 months later...

Anything by Roald Dahl, espcially Matilda! Anything by Enid Blyton too!

Narnia has always been a favourite of mine, and I really enjoyed the first two recent films (don't get me started on the third one though!!!)

Harry Potter is an obvious one and I have recently read Northern Lights, the others are on my shelf for when I get round to them!

One of my other favourite series is Redwall by Bryan Jacques! Never ever tire of them, and still have a few to get through!

I loved His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman and have just finished reading it again.

Malorie Blackmans Noughts & Crosses series is also another favourite of mine and I find myself recommending it to people whenever possible.

I think it shows just how good a book is if it is accessible to all ages and isn't confined to a niche market.

A book that I read as a child and still hold dear to me is Elizabeth Goudge's The Little White Horse. I just have to look at the cover and it transports me back to my childhood days it's a sweet story and definitely one that needs to be oassed onto the future generations.

Every couple of years I find myself drawn back for another re-read of The wind in the willows. I never get tired of reading it! Harry Potter and LOTR, of course. Ashamed to say I've never read any of the Narnia books (a situation I fully intend to correct before too long). One of the joys of having small children is that I have an excuse (like I need one) to read all this stuff again. Even some of the books for very small children has been a revelation to me - The Gruffalo, Peace at last & A squash and a squeeze are all firm favourites at our house.

Ian

Oh please please please advice me some juveline/young adult series that are for adults too... I've been browsing Goodreads and it seems a lot of the series I find fascinating are for YA too. Bummer. So please, whenever those seem readable for adults too, advice me. :)

I don't know if you've heard of The Hunger Games triology, but they are definitely enjoyed by adults too. It is the best YA series/trilogy I've read. It has everything from violence to romance. I know they are recommended by a lot of other Goodreads members.

My favourite book of 2010 was The Giver by Lois Lowry which is a young adult title and won an award ?The New berry Award maybe?

Anyway, it is basically set in a futuristic world where the main character is chosen to be the Memory Keeper for his community. As his mentor shares more and more memories we learn about the history of his community. I don't want to give away the story but the themes are around whether it is better to be able to make individual decisions and mistakes which lead to pain or is it better to conform, stay safe and yet never know true joy.