Why is it sometimes cheaper to buy books online abroad/foreign country?

Johnny Bravo

In the Netherlands it's like that too. Ordering from Amazon.com wouldn't be cheaper, because shipping costs quite a bit and because of import taxes (except ebooks, they are cheaper on Amazon.com usually). But ordering from Amazon.co.uk with their free delivery over 25£ or from book depository (always free delivery) or other sites, is often cheaper than buying something in the Netherlands. Not always of course (book fair is still cheaper for example), but for many cases it is that way. It's especially noticible with Dutch translated books in book shops vs. buying the original English online. The price difference can be huge (ie. 5€ vs. 20€). But I do like to support book shops too so I buy books in book shops as well as online (and on the book fair and in the charity shop).

I think it has to do with country taxes, shops needing to pay the translators and their personnel etc., and other things. I'm glad there are multiple places I can buy books from, it gives me some choice and if one place doesn't have the book, another might.

Edited by Athena