Hello!

dtrpath27

Hello!  I just stumbled across this site last night and am thrilled to find such an active online reading community.  After over a decade of having no time for anything but work, I am finally free to rediscover my love of books. 

I have a pretty broad range of tastes and tend to go through phases with my reading.  My favorite standby series is the Thursday Next series by Jasper Fforde.  I don't care for Nursery Crimes, though. The Chronicles of Narnia is my favorite series from childhood that I would still read as an adult.  For autobiographies, I love Life and Death in Shanghai by Nien Cheng.  I just finished reading The Humans by Matt Hoag (got a good chuckle over that one) and Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan (lagged a bit in the third quarter, but overall a good read).  I also like a good old-fashioned mystery from time to time; I rather like Charles Finch but oddly don't care for Christie.  I'm currently reading Last of the Mohicans and re-reading A Tale of Two Cities.  On my nightstand waiting to be read are Mr. Hartwell by Rebecca Hunt and Hikimori and the Rental Sister by Jeff Backhaus.

I look forward to getting to know all of you.  Happy reading!

Welcome here! The Chronicles of Narnia is on my wishlist as is Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore. I have A Tale of Two Cities but I haven't read it yet. I have two books of the Thursday Next series on my TBR (to-be-read) but I haven't read them yet either. It does sound like you have a broad taste! I do too, it's quite nice in my opinion. Happy reading to you too!

Thanks for the warm welcome.  A Tale of Two Cities was required reading way back in ninth grade, but I'm getting a lot more out of it this time around.  I'm usually a book person, but I like an e-reader for the classics; it makes it so quick and easy to look up archaic expressions and historical references.

Welcome to the forum! :) I've had A Tale of Two Cities on my TBR for years, but never seem to get around to it!

Thanks!  Like I said, required reading back in the day and 14 year old me thought it to be rather long-winded.  A more, ahem, mature me is finding it to be wonderfully descriptive with impressive characterization.

Hi there, and welcome to the forum. :smile:Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore is on my wishlist.

I really enjoyed it!  It was a clever premise and a quick read.  I borrowed it from the library, but I'm considering buying a hard copy to have on hand for a good rainy-day read.

Hi!  I read Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore last year, and I liked the first three quarters, but didn't like how the story developed in the last part, and thought it let down what might have been a really good book, but I know a few others have it on their wish list, so I'll be interested to see some other reviews here too! 

Welcome to BCF :welcome2:

Hi!  I read Mr. Penumbra's 24-hour Bookstore last year, and I liked the first three quarters, but didn't like how the story developed in the last part, and thought it let down what might have been a really good book, but I know a few others have it on their wish list, so I'll be interested to see some other reviews here too! 

Welcome to BCF :welcome2:

That's what I said about it in another thread!  I really enjoyed it, but for me the third quarter lagged a bit.  It was enjoyable overall, enough that I'd read it again, but it could have been truly wonderful.  

Thanks to you both for your warm welcome.  I look forward to reading with you!

Edited by dtrpath27

Hi dtrpath and welcome. I have seen your posts all over so I came to see if you had done an introduction post. Have you ever read any Jack Vance?  He was a great American writer he only died last year.

Hello!  I suppose I can make a bit of a pest of myself...I always have been one to jump right in, though!

I've had a bit of a drought on reading (ten years, blasted work!) which just lifted after the New Year, and I'm just wanting to immerse myself in all things bookish. It feels nice!  After so long of only having time to read a few books a year, I'm having to figure out who I am as a reader, and this site seems to be a good place to do that.

I hadn't heard of Jack Vance, so I googled him.  He appears to be quite a prolific and well-respected writer; I'll have to check out some of his work.  Do you have any recommendations on where to start?  As I said, I'm open to a lot right now. :)

Bless you! Don't worry you will fit right right on this forum. In my opinion the best stand alone Jack Vance is The Blue World. It has excitement, danger, romance, an intrepid hero, a mean villain and a giant sea monster. What else could you want?