Who Is Your Favourite?

Who is your favourite character from the genre of Crime and Thriller fiction?

It doesn't have to be from your favourite book or series, but what character (good or bad) have you encountered in your reading travels that has stuck with you? Who do you love? And why? :smile: Do you have a favourite good guy/girl and a favourite baddy?

I have plenty of worthy contenders for this one, but I think on balance it has to be the character of Charles Butler, the multi-layered and completely wonderful genius from the Mallory series by Carol O'Connell. He is loving and compassionate with a sometimes naïve view of the world. He has with an achingly lonely backstory of being a boy genius, but he often has a profound and searing empathy for those he encounters. If I could 'meet' a character it would be Charles. I adore him.   :D

So, while I ponder a baddy I may think highly of, who is yours?

Edited by Chrissy

For Crime my favourite character would have to be De Cock from the books of A.C. Baantjer. He's a very smart detective but from time to time shows some anger. He knows the (under)world of Amsterdam (in the books) and its shady characters yet he has a good sense of right and wrong. He knows a lot of things and uses sometimes some old-fashioned words.

I'm not sure about a bad guy, I don't normally like bad guys all that much.

I always find it so hard to pick just one or two of anything but among my favourite characters are Jenny Cooper from the M.R.Hall books, she's a fierce champion for justice but her personal life is a real mess and I find myself cheering her on.  A long lasting favourite is Dave Robicheaux from James Lee Burke, flawed and very humane as is Jackson Brodie, Kate Atkinson's protagonist but Brodie is also very funny at times which is a welcome counterpoint to the suspense of the stories. I could go on but I'll stop there...

In The Book of Evidence, John Banville created a character called Freddie Montgomery.  Freddie is on trial for murder.  While certainly not likable, Freddie is difficult to forget.  Banville featured him in two other books, Athena and Ghosts.   

These were pre his Benjamin Black days, so maybe he was gearing up? :D

His Quirke coroner/detective is very memorable as well.

But I've just discovered Harry Bosch, Michael Connelly's detective, and like that one a lot as well.  Too many more to even list. heh

I really liked Lily Bard from Charlaine Harris's Shakespeare's Landlord. She was quiet and solitary, into keeping fit and liked cleaning, so I found I could relate in a lot of ways :D (not that I am as extreme as her in any of those areas)

I have a major crush on Jack Reacher from the Lee Child books- I don't even try and hide it lol  Without Fail is my favorite so far.

But absolute adore Sherlock Holmes too, I just love his personality.  I loved A Scandal in Bohemia from the The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes.

I also liked Karen Fossom's Inspector Sejer, he is a real "Inspector" type, solving modern crimes the ol' fashioned way.  The Indian Bride is my favorite of the series that I have read so far.

I really love Evert Bäckström from Leif G.W. Persson's crime novels. He's loathesome to many. He hates most people and is selfish and lazy. Quite offensive. But he is a fun character to read about. 

I guess I am not the only one loving this guy, since FOX has ordered a 13 episode series featuring this character. "Backstrom" to be played by Rainn Wilson from "The office". 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backstrom_(TV_series)

I also love Gunvald Larsson from the Martin Beck series by Sjöwall & Wahlöö. A lot like Bäckström in some aspects. A no BS person who is tired of tip-toeing and wants to go straight forward. Often gets into trouble with the superiors because of his actions. Not that he cares. To him, they are just useless idiots. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sj%C3%B6wall_and_Wahl%C3%B6%C3%B6

Simon Templar aka the Saint has gone through various phases, but my favorite remains that great optimist and daring swasbuckling adventurer in the books by Leslie Charteris before the WOII.

Charlie Parker by John Connolly who seems to wander a path of sinners and angels and on whoms side does he will find himself?? His tales are dark and mysterious, and often gruesome.

Harry Hole by Jo Nesbo the deeply flawed, intelligent and sensitive detective that tries to find his course through life and responsibilities.

Special Agent Aloysius X. L. Pendergast by Messieurs Child & Preston is an annual pleasure that never fails to live up to expectation. They always bring something new and exciting to the table.