vodkafan

I been reading up about the sequel to Avatar....looks like it will be 3 more films just to cash in....what made me groan is that Cameron is planning to bring back three of the characters who died in the first film! Even if they make that convincing it makes it sound like it is going to be a formula film for sure...

I loved AVATAR too and look forward to at least one of the sequels which is supposed to take place under the sea, and there are some excellent movies by Cameron that take place in the water.

As for cash-ins look no further than the Nolan Batman trilogy, the first one was largly a copy of the 1997 The Shadow movie, the second hitched a lot on the demise of one of its leadstars Heath Ledger and the thirs installment was just plain stuuf-that-makes-the-grass-grow-green.

The new Star Wars movies, like GL's attempt to better his original trilogy I would expect very little from the new movies.

AVATAR had a least the guts to be bold in its innovative 3D and spectacle it proved to be on the big screen, I saw the movie 3 times on the big screen in its original 3D and whenever somebody who saw it on tv wants to have a discussion about the quality I ignore them as they failed to behold the grandness of Camerons original vision.

I missed Avatar in the cinema and only saw it on DVD about a year after it came out.  It would be fair to say I was less than impressed! 

The lack of 3D effects may have meant I missed the point of the film, but I feel a film should stand on it's own first as a story and secondly as something pretty to look at, not the other way around.  The story for Avatar was derivative and all too predictable. 

I recommend just watching the trailer, it tells you everything you need to know about the story and you can save yourself over 2½ hours of your life!

I agree that a film has to stand fast as a good story before anything else. Avatar was derivative of course-it is basically Pocahontas in space- but it was very well done, had a moral and clear -cut villains and heroes for children (my kids love the film) and is visually enjoyable to look at.  I just think he's going to blow it by doing any more. :doh: