• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
emelee

Crime novels and detectives you cannot get invested in

Are there any crime novels that you just can't finish because they haven't been able to catch your interest? Or crime novel main character that you just cannot get invested in for some reason?

I am not sure why but I have never been able to get into Ian Rankins books. I have tried Knots and Crosses a few times but always lose interest. Not sure why as I know many people find him an excellent writer. Maybe I should try one last time soon.

Liked Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, but just could not get into The Girl Who Played with Fire.  I gave it a good 100 pages and then gave up.  I hardly ever give up on a book.  Loved Lizbeth though.

For some reason, I've never been able to get along with any James Patterson books. Given the amount of Lee Child and Robert Crais I've beenb reading over the last couple of years, that's puzzling, but there you go - just can't do it.

I agree with the Patterson comment. I know he's very successful but the books read like extended film treatments, not novels, though I'm happy to watch a Patterson-sourced film for the same reason.

For some reason, I've never been able to get along with any James Patterson books. Given the amount of Lee Child and Robert Crais I've beenb reading over the last couple of years, that's puzzling, but there you go - just can't do it.

When I first discovered James Patterson I quite liked his books but as soon as it turned into a writing factory he lost my interest. While I really admire his style and ideas his marketing concept towards writing is something that annoys me more than it intrigues me. If mr. Patt

Perhaps I am too much a fan of the sometimes lonely plotting novelist who have a hard time finishing the book at the deadline.

Edited by saintmark

When I first discovered James Patterson I quite liked his books but as soon as it turned into a writing factory he lost my interest. While I really admire his style and ideas his marketing concept towards writing is something that annoys me more than it intrigues me. If mr. Patt

Perhaps I am too much a fan of the sometimes lonely plotting novelist who have a hard time finishing the book at the deadline.

I'm getting this way with Kathy Reichs.

I've gone through heaps of library books this last year - just as well I didn't spend money on them with how lousy a lot of them were. I have to conclude that either the people choosing what to buy for the library have narrow tastes or there are fads among authors.

1 If they want to portray someone as brainy they listen to classical music if not opera.

2 The author will hard-sell you a female character as "strong" and capable, but she will invariably turn out to be helpless, ignorant and hysterical. As if the reader won't spot the split personality there.

Getting really tired the narrow-minded pretentiousness in no 1 and the spoonfeeding of conclusions on no 2.

Rant over (for now; bound to be expanded over time)

Ian Rankin and Rebus. I find it very difficult reading, and how Rebus gets anything at all done I will never know as he drinks himself into oblivion constantly. Tedious and long winded.

I've only read one by Charles Todd, mercifully forgotten title, and won't go back for another.  blech.

Ian Rankin and Rebus. I find it very difficult reading, and how Rebus gets anything at all done I will never know as he drinks himself into oblivion constantly. Tedious and long winded.

... reminds me! Don't care for either of those two, gave them two chances a while ago. No use for characters with too many issues. I prefer a Sherlock-Holmes - stick - with - the - relevant approach.