HP and the Deathly Hallows by J K Rowling

Michelle

I just got through re-reading all seven Harry Potters. It was a lot of fun, moving from one book immediately to the next. I definitely recommend it!

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I re-read Deathly Hallows about 2 months ago and thoroughly enjoyed it as I read it at such a pace when it first came out that I did not take it in. There was so much to enjoy and to understand. I will have to read them again one after another. I will probably do it before the next film.

When is the Tales of Beedle the Bard out? And will others get it? Or is it out already?

Knowing the price cutting exercises of the big booksellers/supermarkets it'll probably be really cheap at the tills. I'll probably get someone to give it me for Christmas or pick it up with a gift voucher or Christmas money.

You bet! But then again I have only read HP7. :D Now that I am going back and reading HP1 for the first time, I am finding that numerous details stand out that I would have glossed over and missed completely if I had not read HP7 first. She really started crafting the books carefully right from the beginning! I am obviously not recommending reading them backwards, but I certainly believe that re-reading the earlier volumes will provide far more in the way of enjoying and understanding HP7 than one might imagine.

PS I too am puzzled by the baby.

When reading the books I always thought that she put quite a lot of details in there and when discussing the books with other people I noticed that everyone was award of details the others overlooked or forgot again.

I will therefore really start re-reading the books and am curious to see what I overlooked the first time and what is in there that is already pointing to some of the future events in the following books.

Is there anyone else who is planning to re-read the books? Would be nice to hear what your impression is about whether and how she crafted the books from the beginning.

Guest radjack
I finished this last night. Utterly brilliant. I loved the bit was when Harry, Ron and Hermione had to get through the dementors when they left the castle but couldn't produce their patronuses because they were so devastated by Fred's death, and then Luna, Seamus and Deane came and produced theirs, lifting Harry enough to produce his. I welled up a little at that point. I love Luna, she's one of my favourite characters. I loved the painting she had on her ceiling.

And I was so pleased about Snape. I was hoping he would come good in the end, I just couldn't understand how it was going to happen.

I was sorry not to see Umbridge get her come-uppance though.

Fantastic finish. What a brilliantly plotted series. I'm so glad I got into these books. I've only read the last two. Better go back and read the others now :D

Snape and Luna are my favourite characters of HP.

I was really sad when i finished reading the Deathly Hallows because i knew that i wouldn't read another new Hp book forever:cry2::006::cry2:

Snape and Luna are my favourite characters of HP.

I was really sad when i finished reading the Deathly Hallows because i knew that i wouldn't read another new Hp book forever:cry2::D:cry2:

I think they are mine too. I know - I had mixed feelings coming to the end of it. I was really excited to find out what happened but then knew that really would be the end of it all.

Luna's probably one of my favourite characters too.

I re-read Deathly Hallows a few weeks ago and I still have mixed feelings towards it (about whether it's good or not, there are parts of it I really like and parts of it I struggle with thinking oh no I have to get through reading this bit again). At least we have Tales of Beedle the Bard to look forward to in a few months.

• 2 weeks later...

this last book was such a disappointment for me.. it seemed so rushed, especially towards the end, and that last -19 years later- did not satisfy at all.. maybe i felt like that just because it was the last one. i could have read a lot more of these books. altho, imagine the movie makers, if faced with a never ending story line! lol.. i have enjoyed all the movies so far too.

• 1 year later...

If I may add my tuppence worth, as I have read these recently.

It was a great series, and totally worth the Hype. I was glad with the way JK Rowlings wrapped things up - and although I was sad at some of the deaths (esp as Snape died before he and Harry could talk), it sort of made it more believable, IMO. One thing I'm still curious about is what happend to Prof McGonagall - as she was another favourite of mine :(

Someone with some actual writing talent should try write a novel set years after that last book in the series. Obviously just for fun. In fact, people probably have done FanFics and things, but I have never bothered to check.

What I will say about the end of the series, is this: No matter how she could have ended the series, someone, somewhere, would have been disappointed. There was no pleasing everyone and I think she tied up most of the ends quite well.

I don't have any particular complaints about the ending of the story, I think it could have been handled different and hence been more effective but then again it's not my baby. I more have a problem with the epilogue, it was really difficult to read and fairly pointless to include in my opinion, but I adore the series and Rowling has a fantastic eye for detail in a story and in people, so I don't mind so much.

I think the book was absolutly brilliant. I really hope the movie will do it justice but probably not. they've missed to much to be able to wrap it up.

J.K Rowling will still be one of my absolute favourite authors, and growing up with Harry Potter has been great. I think she did a great job with the ending although the deaths were incredibly sad. Reading te epilogue left me wanting more though, I wanna read the adventures of their kids. Oh and I would love to read a pre-qual to all the Harry Potter books.

I really love Harry Potter books, but I hate the last bit of DH. I really hate the "happy ever after" aspect of the last few pages. I know it's a children's book and everything has to end well, but cheesy just doesn't cover it :D Also, I had too many unanswered questions about some of the minor characters. :friends0: