HP and the Deathly Hallows by J K Rowling

Michelle

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh. My. God.....

HARRY POTTER WAS SO COOL! I finished it at 8:35 this morning, and I'm going to remember that forever...mainly because I'm sad enough to put it in my diary:lol::lol:

I didn't go to sleep AT ALL last night, I just read the whole time!:lol:

:lol: Wow, it's amazing how you guys can read this book in so little time.

It would take me a few days (at least) to finish it.

From what I've heard, most fans have really enjoyed this one.

Hopefully it's not a letdown for many.

(C'mon Harry Potter people! I was expecing to see lots of posts with spoiler tags by now... I want to know what happens! I'm not buying it just so I know what happens, y'know :lol: I'm relying on you lot to tell me... :lol:)

Seriously tho', I hope you all enjoyed it and weren't disappointed :(

Well I was hoping to have read it or at least be a good way through, but then, children are unpredictable. If I could put my life on hold or stay up all night like I could at uni there wouldn't be a problem. I definitely need my sleep these days. i must be getting old.

I thoroughly enjoyed it although it took me until about 10.00pm tonight (Sunday night). I started it 1.30ish Saturday - I wasn't so mad as to queue up on Friday night!

I am going to discuss it with joyful abandon as Michelle has warned people about spoilers above and there is another thread for those still reading it.:lol:

I didn't quite get my head around the different wand business and why the one that Harry had was the one that killed Voltemort (there you go Polka Dot Rock a bit of story line) but I expect if I go back and read it more slowly it'll make sense.

I got tearful when Percy arrived out of the blue and again when Fred got killed and a little bit when Hedwig was. Oh and when Dobby was...

Oh and wasn't the stuff with Kreacher becoming accepting of Harry so touching.

And as for Snape, oh how my heart leapt when I found out after all he had stayed loyal. I thought throughout most of the book he had really turned to Voldemort.

I bet the very last chapter will have loads of kids clamouring for more Potter books - just not Harry Potter!:lol:

I thoroughly enjoyed it although it took me until about 10.00pm tonight (Sunday night). I started it 1.30ish Saturday - I wasn't so mad as to queue up on Friday night!

I am going to discuss it with joyful abandon as Michelle has warned people about spoilers above and there is another thread for those still reading it.:exc:

I didn't quite get my head around the different wand business and why the one that Harry had was the one that killed Voltemort (there you go Polka Dot Rock a bit of story line) but I expect if I go back and read it more slowly it'll make sense.

I got tearful when Percy arrived out of the blue and again when Fred got killed and a little bit when Hedwig was. Oh and when Dobby was...

Oh and wasn't the stuff with Kreacher becoming accepting of Harry so touching.

And as for Snape, oh how my heart leapt when I found out after all he had stayed loyal. I thought throughout most of the book he had really turned to Voldemort.

I bet the very last chapter will have loads of kids clamouring for more Potter books - just not Harry Potter!:lol:

That was almost my post :exc:

I started Saturday afternoon and finished early yesterday evening. I even went to bed early on Saturday and fell asleep reading it!

As for the wands, I think that it didn't matter which wand it was as long as it wasn't a 'wrong wand' if that makes sense. Like the wand Ron gave to Harry when Herione had broken his didn't work because Harry and the wand hadn't chosen one another, the same is probably true of 'Tom Riddle' :( and the elm wand

I was upset with Hedwig and Dobby too. Dobby was always a favourite character of mine. Somehow they felt like Harry moving into adulthood as he was losing his pets. And I'm guessing becoming responsible for a young one too in some ways as his godchild's parents got killed too

Now Snape, I've been championing him from the start. I never really felt he was a bad guy, just that he was a bit isolated. Didn't guess the Petronas was his though.

Yes, the ending leaves it rather open doesn't it? :lol:

Just finished reading it about 15 minutes ago. Fantastic ending to a fantastic series. I really felt like it wrapped things up nicely.

Really sad about all the deaths though. I mean obviously I knew there was going to be a fair few people dying seeing as there was going to be one final big battle, but I thought there would be only two main ones that would affect me. But there were loads...so sad.

I liked the epilogue, although there were still a number of characters not mentioned in it who I would have liked to have found out what happened to them during the years after Voldermort's downfall.

Howdy HP Fans!

Well its been one heck of a journey eh and we were there all the way!!!

How cool was 'The Deathly Hallows', it was so sad, I was quite upset about old Mad-Eye, then Remus and Tonks as well, (all I kept thinking was, another wee kid left with no-one but it is slightly different, because Ted had Harry).

Loved that Neville got his moment in the sun, or is that his moment with a sword?, I always knew he would come into his own - I like Neville, he is a wee soul!

I have to admit, to fair muttering about Dumbledore, but then I thought about it, and thought, he is such a good un' and he has flaws as well.

And how cool was Mrs Weasley, she totaly kicked Bellatrix's ass!!!!

And our wee Harry (who is not so wee anymore), I shed a wee tear at the end, because he finally had a family!:lol:

Loved that Neville got his moment in the sun, or is that his moment with a sword?, I always knew he would come into his own - I like Neville, he is a wee soul!

I half expected it to be revealed that all along it was Neville who was 'the boy who lived' and that Voldemort had only thought it was Harry due to Snape's obsession. To me, that was the only thing I ever hought Snape was guilty of

I half expected it to be revealed that all along it was Neville who was 'the boy who lived' and that Voldemort had only thought it was Harry due to Snape's obsession. To me, that was the only thing I ever hought Snape was guilty of

You know what V? I initially thought that too, great minds and all that.

Love your avatar by the way x:D

I thought Dobby's death was the most touching, the funeral was so sad.

And Fred, Lupin and Tonks was also really sad even more so because of baby Teddy. I'm assuming he was brought up by his grandmother but spent a lot of time with the Potter and Weasley families.

I have to say that I thought Neville seemed like a totally different person when he first entered the scene in this book. It just didn't sound like him at all but yay for him killing the snake.

Not sure what to think of Snape. I've sort of hated him from the start and always thought that he would be evil, however I'm sort of coming round to him. I was dreading him turning out good because I didn't know how JK Rowling could have justified him being evil throughout the past 7 years, and then suddenly turning good at the end, but I think the way in which his actions were explained was done really well. Just the fact that he'd been in love with Lily for all these years hence his hatred for James and Harry, but at the same time doing his best to protect Lily's son. I thought that was a nice little twist and the fact that his patronus was the same as Lily's - aww cute!

Mrs Weasly was amazing.

I liked the epilogue at the end and thought it was a nice touch finding out what happened to the three main characters, but at the same time a little disappointing. I mean what about all the others? We don't know what happend to George after Fred died. We don't know what any of them are doing for a living except Neville. And what happened in the wizardring world after the downfall of Voldermort? How long did it take them to get back to normal and what happened at the ministry?

Not sure what to think of Snape. I've sort of hated him from the start and always thought that he would be evil, however I'm sort of coming round to him. I was dreading him turning out good because I didn't know how JK Rowling could have justified him being evil throughout the past 7 years, and then suddenly turning good at the end, but I think the way in which his actions were explained was done really well. Just the fact that he'd been in love with Lily for all these years hence his hatred for James and Harry, but at the same time doing his best to protect Lily's son. I thought that was a nice little twist and the fact that his patronus was the same as Lily's - aww cute!

I've just finished and I loved this book so much.

I thought the ending (before 'Nineteen years later') was perfect. I cried when Snape died - I never believed he was really evil - not even at the end of book 6 - but I was wavering a little in this book. I'm glad he was a good guy afterall.

Then very ending was a bit twee, but also necessary (this is, afterall, a children's book).

I've loved every minute of this Harry Potter adventure from the first book review I ever saw about HP book 1 on Blue Peter all those years ago, right up until the very end.

Roll on films 6 and 7!

*Contented sigh*

I finished the book yesterday morning (took me two days to read). I cried so much while I was reading it. All those deaths... :lol: Now that I've finished it, I'd like to know what character JK Rowling gave a reprieve to and which two died that weren't going to.

I knew Snape would be proven to be good! I've believed that from the first book. I was kind of hoping that Harry would come to those realisations before Snape died so there would be at least an understanding between them, but I can live with it the way it happened.

I didn't think the last chapter was particularly necessary (I just couldn't make the transition from them being teenagers to them as married adults with kids), but I was glad to see that Harry gave the name of Severus to one of his kids and that he called him one of the bravest wizards he ever knew. I think if JK Rowling was going to add that final chapter though, she could have at least told us what else they were doing with their lives. Did Harry and Ron become Aurors? And what happened to the other characters? And the biggest unanswered question of all...is there really such a thing as a Crumple-Horned Snorkack? I guess I'll just have to use my imagination :lol:

I can't wait to see this when it's made into a movie. Thanks for the adventures JK Rowling!

I finished the book yesterday morning (took me two days to read). I cried so much while I was reading it. All those deaths... :lol: Now that I've finished it, I'd like to know what character JK Rowling gave a reprieve to and which two died that weren't going to.

I think it was maybe Hagrid that was reprieved and Tonks and Lupin who weren't going to.

I say this because I fully expected Hagrid to die pretty well all through the book and it kind of led up to it in the Forbidden Forest when he was carried off, or when Grawp (is that right?) was stomping around

Plus Lupin and Tonks were dead as a kind of aside. As if it was just slipped in - I thought their deaths were a bit underplayed. Plus they were both excellent wizards with unique talents so it's hard to see that they would lose many battles, especially both of them.

Not sure I was too keen on the Epilogue either. A list of what they are doing now, like you get at the end of 'factual' films may have been better. I do think she wanted to avoid specualtion that there'd be another book, but with the kids, she's opened it up to that anyway - and we need to know if Teddy is also a werewolf :lol:

Finally finished it. I was well chuffed to discover I was right about Snape and that Dumbledor had asked Snape to kill him rather than let Draco do it (I sussed that one out right after he was killed). Was very upset by the death of Dobby, despite him not being a favourite character of mine, as his death was just so pointless and needless. Was rather miffed that Tonks and Lupin were killed "off-screen" too - I felt they deserved better than that. If JK was so determined to kill them off, she could have at least given them both a decent send-off.

I also always said there was more to Neville Longbottom than meets the eye - such a steady, quiet lad, who's always been there for his mates. I was well pleased to see him leading the student rebellion - well done that lad!

I was really upset by Dobby's Death, it was really pointless.

I have to add, I loved Kreacher's 'revamp' - it was great, especially the part with Mundungus (I hope I have spelled that correctly) when Kreacher offered to him one more time 'for luck' x

I finished it last night.

I really enjoyed it and I thought it tied up all the loose ends really well. I was really glad that Snape turned out to be good - I didn't guess that Snape and Dumbledore had arranged for Snape to kill D. I thought it was really good how she kept us guessing all the way through - and I thought his reasons for helping Harry were really good - answered a lot of questions.

I was sad that Dobby died but at the same time, it was completely right for his character somehow. Kreacher's change of heart was brilliant!

It's been going through my head all night - things like how was life for George in those 19 years without his brother etc. I'm going to have to read it again I think - I read new books too fast - especially if they are exciting - so I miss a lot.

I can't help wondering what J K Rowling is going to write next. I think she shouldn't carry on with this world - tempting as it is! I would like to read a completely different story from her - see if she can produce another fantastic world and storyline!

One thing that kind of jarred for me was Percy's sudden return and acceptance by everyone. It just seemed so out of character for him to have such a turn-around like that and to arrive at that point. THat was the only bit that felt wrong for me in the whole book.

...I can't help wondering what J K Rowling is going to write next. I think she shouldn't carry on with this world - tempting as it is!...

So it looks like JK Rowling will probably write a Harry Potter encyclopaedia...

"...promising many more details about her beloved characters and the fate of the wizarding world beyond the few clues provided in the seventh book

One thing that kind of jarred for me was Percy's sudden return and acceptance by everyone. It just seemed so out of character for him to have such a turn-around like that and to arrive at that point. THat was the only bit that felt wrong for me in the whole book.

I actually liked this part (maybe I'm just a sucker for a happy ending - I'm pretty sure I cried during this part :thud:).

I think in the 6th book when Harry was catching up with the Weasleys for the first time in weeks and he asked about the Percy situation, he was surprised that Percy hadn't come around but the Weasleys pointed out that it is hard to admit when you're wrong.

I think that Percy realised that putting his pride before his family was pretty stupid when they were all in such danger and might not survive. And he is, after all, a Weasley, so there's gotta be some goodness and loyalty in there somewhere! I guess Ron did the same thing in a way - defected from his 'family' but then came back because he knew where his loyalties really were.