Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

chesilbeach

I don't think I'll ever understand short track speed skating .. hate the fact that they disqualify you if you so much as look at anyone the wrong way. They should take a leaf out of the snowboard/ski cross .. anything goes there. Mostly I hate it that there's no appeal procedure .. very annoyed about Elise :censored: 

It was pretty harsh but, same as with the previous DQs, I could see why it happened, not for the collision on the last bend, but because of the way she stopped the other girl from overtaking on the straight leading up to the final bend.  I thought the commentators should've picked up on that at the time :shrug:

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:blush2: True .. not our fault though .. most roads lead to it 

:D When in Rome...

Gracious! I bet his Mum hasn't got that pic on her mantlepiece

Or maybe it is! Shows some real dedication on the son's part :D

Do you know .. I think the Finns must be immune. I've definitely been cheering them on but haven't jinxed them yet .. but I think you need to say the name in your head .. it's all part of the jinx process and, as you rightly say, I can't pronounce any of the Finnish names :blush2: 

Thank goodness for the umlauts and all the things that make names impossible for you to pronounce :D

Fanny Smith didn't remind me of anything :blush2:  :giggle:  :D 

Oh, no? You just like the name, for no particular reason? :D

Wohoo Finland, bronze for the men in ice hockey! :smile2:

two GOLD medals at the team pursuit events, the men had to really work with the women the competition was just glad they got a medal which made the final a bit embarrising for the Polish ladies team they were never in it to win. The Dutch ladies did do their business and ended with an improvement of the Olympic record.

Overall one can easily say that the speedskating events were the property of team Netherlands, they got on average most competition from their own nationality.

It was pretty harsh but, same as with the previous DQs, I could see why it happened, not for the collision on the last bend, but because of the way she stopped the other girl from overtaking on the straight leading up to the final bend.  I thought the commentators should've picked up on that at the time :shrug:

But it is a race ... it seems a bit much that you can't actually take the initiative anywhere. I can see if you send a skater sprawling or give them a shove then it's wrong but a little jostling for position should be fine .. in so many events it would be fine. Elise said that the ref said she pushed the Chinese girl over .. I can't see that she did .. I still think it was too harsh but the way to keep out of trouble is to hit the front first and Elise wasn't able to do that. I'm just hugely disappointed that she never got to try for a medal .. it does seem like such a lottery getting through those speed skating heats.

Or maybe it is! Shows some real dedication on the son's part

Well on the one hand yes .. but if I'd have been his mother I'd have appreciated a bit of extra dedication in the shower afterwards :D

Thank goodness for the umlauts and all the things that make names impossible for you to pronounce

Yes .. something they must have foreseen back when they were inventing the language :D

Oh, no? You just like the name, for no particular reason?

Well .. I confess .. it made me smile a bit :blush2:

Wohoo Finland, bronze for the men in ice hockey! :smile2:

Well done Finland! .. and well deserved .. congratulations! :smile: 

Well done the Netherlands too for completely dominating the speed skating :smile: 

But it is a race ... it seems a bit much that you can't actually take the initiative anywhere. I can see if you send a skater sprawling or give them a shove then it's wrong but a little jostling for position should be fine .. in so many events it would be fine. Elise said that the ref said she pushed the Chinese girl over .. I can't see that she did .. I still think it was too harsh but the way to keep out of trouble is to hit the front first and Elise wasn't able to do that. I'm just hugely disappointed that she never got to try for a medal .. it does seem like such a lottery getting through those speed skating heats.

Oh I don't disagree, just saying I could see why it happened. 

Generally enjoyed the Beeb's coverage, but disappointed that they didn't show more of the ice hockey.  To show the first period of the bronze medal game and then relegate the rest of it to internet-only (which I couldn't get to run properly) was particularly annoying (congrats to Finland!).  The final was a bit one-sided but I'm happy Canada won.  Nice of Sidney Crosby to turn up for the final again :giggle2:

Sad that it's all finished now.  Well done to all the medallists, especially Lizzy (English!).  Shall miss my daily dose of people falling over at high speed :(  :giggle2:

• 2 weeks later...

I've watched some of the Paralympics now...curling needless to say and caught some of sledging ice hockey. I am in awe of all these athletes...but am fed up of all the interuptions  for adverts...grrrr. Dave Murdoch was on though when they were doing the curling... ;)