Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

chesilbeach

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a fine day for Finland! :D Gold for the men and silver for the women in the team sprint skiing events, or whatever they called! :exc: And Finland beat Russia in ice hockey. :cool:

Having a good day, quite a turn around for the hockey getting a win over Russia!

Another day of curling...shame the girls just couldn't quite pip those Canadians, but they are very good! But the men, well what heroes they are and Murdoch pulls out another perfect winning stone. So tomorrow will be an match at 8.30 to watch and then DO NOT DISTURB on Friday at 1.30 for the men's final game....come on the boys.

Yay!! .. was cheering Finland all the way .. they've had a brilliant day :) (bit mean that the Russians didn't project the result on the roof of the Bolshoi Ice Dome as normal but I guess they didn't want to upset the already upset locals :blush2:

Great day also for the GB men's curling team .. at last another guaranteed medal .. fingers crossed for the gold :smile: Shame about the ladies but hopefully they can still get a bronze.

Yay the curling girls got the bronze :smile: ... well done Eve and co :clapping: 

Enjoyed the ski cross .. madness :D (loved that three-way photo finish in the first quarter final ... brilliant! :D)

Watching the figure skating .. so many of the girls fall over on those triples or don't land them correctly .. must be so upsetting. Felt sorry for the little Russian girl yesterday .. hope she can skate a clean routine tonight.

Watched both the curling matches today - absolutely delighted for Team GB!!!!

I missed the ski cross :( but I did see that photo finish Kay. What carnage! :D

Despit saying before that I haven't really watched the figure skating much over recent Olympics, I seem to have seen most of it this time around. Felt so srrry for the Russian girl that fell, but loved the routine from he other Russian girl (no idea what her name was but she wore a red dress!)

Ya beauty....well down our GB (Scottish) girls...what a match. So proud of them all and didn't they deserve to snatch the medal. :D

Hopefully our boys can get the top prize tomorrow...I for one will be glued to the telly at 1.30pm and a do not disturb sign... :D  on the door. :giggle:

I did see the ski cross thingy to Kay...what madness, it truly is anybody can win on the day isn't it.

That's nice, Frankie :)!

More than nice, I would say! :D

Having a good day, quite a turn around for the hockey getting a win over Russia!

Indeed! Now it's all between Canada, USA, Sweden and Finland.

Yay!! .. was cheering Finland all the way .. they've had a brilliant day :) (bit mean that the Russians didn't project the result on the roof of the Bolshoi Ice Dome as normal but I guess they didn't want to upset the already upset locals :blush2:

Yes I heard about the 'resultless' roof of the dome, but my own reaction was that I started to laugh, and I think that's pretty much what other Finns did, too. I won't get mad about something like that, it only makes me laugh.

I'm a bit embarrassed about how the German tripped over when Jauhojärvi skiied past him... :blush: But I do wonder why the German stayed there in the ground for so long. He should've gotten up and gone after them, he might've managed to get the bronze medal!

Great day also for the GB men's curling team .. at last another guaranteed medal .. fingers crossed for the gold :smile: Shame about the ladies but hopefully they can still get a bronze.

Well done men's curling team, and wohoo for the bronze for the women!! :)

I have to say, I've never watched the Olympics before but this year I've seen quite a few things. It's still a very new thing for me, so I'm mostly watching the Finnish events, and the ones that happen to be on TV when I turn the TV on. So I have to say that I'm rather in the dark about how the other countries have been doing. :blush:

Edited by frankie

I don't think I'll ever understand short track speed skating .. hate the fact that they disqualify you if you so much as look at anyone the wrong way. They should take a leaf out of the snowboard/ski cross .. anything goes there. Mostly I hate it that there's no appeal procedure .. very annoyed about Elise :censored: 

Shame the men didn't get a gold in the curling but still, a silver is not at all shabby :D 

Didn't agree with the decision last night re: women's figure skating. Thought that Yuna Kim was definitely better (Sotnikova stumbled coming out of one of her jumps for a start) .. still I guess it's all subjective. Did enjoy hearing Robin Cousins getting all het up about it though  :D  

I don't think I'll ever understand short track speed skating .. hate the fact that they disqualify you if you so much as look at anyone the wrong way. They should take a leaf out of the snowboard/ski cross .. anything goes there. Mostly I hate it that there's no appeal procedure .. very annoyed about Elise :censored: 

I don't know any particulars about the particular case you must be referring to, but it's odd if you are disqualified just for looking at someone the wrong way :o

If they ever try that with ice hockey... :D

Shame the men didn't get a gold in the curling but still, a silver is not at all shabby :D 

Congratulations! :D Well done :)

Yes I heard about the 'resultless' roof of the dome, but my own reaction was that I started to laugh, and I think that's pretty much what other Finns did, too. I won't get mad about something like that, it only makes me laugh.

Well it was so petty that all you can do is laugh .. I see they put the scores back up today so they obviously got over their hissy fit eventually  :D

I'm a bit embarrassed about how the German tripped over when Jauhojärvi skiied past him... :blush: But I do wonder why the German stayed there in the ground for so long. He should've gotten up and gone after them, he might've managed to get the bronze medal!

No, nothing to be embarrassed about .. he obviously didn't do anything illegal and so fair's fair. I loved how they were so happy about winning .. practically rolling around in the snow :D Perhaps the German skier couldn't get up once he'd gone down. I remember my Uncle telling me that he was doing fine in a marathon race but then he needed the loo so popped into a public loo as soon as he saw one and then that was it .. his legs wouldn't go again :D  

I don't know any particulars about the particular case you must be referring to, but it's odd if you are disqualified just for looking at someone the wrong way :o

No .. not really .. I was just being sarky :blush2: Our girl was disqualified in all three of her short track events. In her last race she didn't appear to have done anything wrong .. she seemed to have been impeded herself .. but was dq'd all the same and though they do review the race in order to come to these conclusions .. there's no appeal or anything. Such a tricky event because jostling seems to be okay as long as no-one falls .. even then I'm not sure how much you can jostle (I don't know the jostle scale :D) .. good word I like using it now I've started :D All the same I'm not sure she got her strategy right but it was difficult as she was a bag of nerves anyway after receiving death threats on Twitter :o 

Well it was so petty that all you can do is laugh .. I see they put the scores back up today so they obviously got over their hissy fit eventually  :D

They'd been obviously expecting to win and it was their home game so they took it to heart. No worries :)

No, nothing to be embarrassed about .. he obviously didn't do anything illegal and so fair's fair. I loved how they were so happy about winning .. practically rolling around in the snow :D Perhaps the German skier couldn't get up once he'd gone down. I remember my Uncle telling me that he was doing fine in a marathon race but then he needed the loo so popped into a public loo as soon as he saw one and then that was it .. his legs wouldn't go again :D  

Yes, the commentators said why it was all fair, and the newspapers have been on and on about it, and it was supposedly fair game, but because I know nothing of the sport, I just thought it was very rude :D Actually, Jauhojärvi, the one doing the skiing at that point, he said that nice guys always finish last and he'd decided he was done being a nice guy. So I guess it paid off for him.

The other one, Iivo Niskanen, is so young and he was so happy... His sister got silver for the same thing earlier that day. And their other sister is the one who won the Finnish version of Project Runway in 2009, the first time they did the show here in Finland, and she's one of Finland's top designers. They also have one more sister, and I kinda feel for that sister... One would think sshe had all the pressure on her, to excell in whatever she does... :D But then again, she can also think that her Brother and sisters are the best at what they do, so she herself can take it easy :D

Poor poppyshake's uncle with the marathon poop issue... :D Oh!  :empathy:  :D

Edited by frankie

No .. not really .. I was just being sarky :blush2: Our girl was disqualified in all three of her short track events. In her last race she didn't appear to have done anything wrong .. she seemed to have been impeded herself .. but was dq'd all the same and though they do review the race in order to come to these conclusions .. there's no appeal or anything. Such a tricky event because jostling seems to be okay as long as no-one falls .. even then I'm not sure how much you can jostle (I don't know the jostle scale :D) .. good word I like using it now I've started :D All the same I'm not sure she got her strategy right but it was difficult as she was a bag of nerves anyway after receiving death threats on Twitter :o 

Sounds bloody awful! :( Not knowing what she did wrong, not having any apparent reasons for being disqualified. And death threats on Twitter?? People need to calm the F down! :o:(

They'd been obviously expecting to win and it was their home game so they took it to heart. No worries

Yes, the commentators said why it was all fair, and the newspapers have been on and on about it, and it was supposedly fair game, but because I know nothing of the sport, I just thought it was very rude :D Actually, Jauhojärvi, the one doing the skiing at that point, he said that nice guys always finish last and he'd decided he was done being a nice guy. So I guess it paid off for him.

The other one, Iivo Niskanen, is so young and he was so happy... His sister got silver for the same thing earlier that day. And their other sister is the one who won the Finnish version of Project Runway in 2009, the first time they did the show here in Finland, and she's one of Finland's top designers. They also have one more sister, and I kinda feel for that sister... One would think sshe had all the pressure on her, to excell in whatever she does... But then again, she can also think that her Brother and sisters are the best at what they do, so she herself can take it easy :D

Poor poppyshake's uncle with the marathon poop issue... :D Oh! 

I hasten to add that he only wanted a wee :D But I think it's important to keep hold of vital fluids :D .. perhaps the German skier did a little wee when he fell over .. just a theory :D 

Yes .. I saw his sister's race too so brilliant achievement for them both. I guess you would be a little bit peeved if you were the under-achieving sister. But then .. like you say .. bask in the glory without having to get up at 3am for training etc :blush2: 

I feel a bit sorry and more than a touch responsible about Switzerland's Fanny Smith coming a cropper in her ski cross races. I so liked her name that I decided she was to be my favourite .. consequently .. despite looking comfy and leading .. she crashed and burned :blush2: I thought the medics would have to come on and treat her for severe disappointment. She had to race for the minor positions and her heart wasn't in it. So sorry Fanny Smith .. if you'd have been called Susan I would never have pinned my hopes on you and probably you'd be polishing your medal now :blush2:  

I hasten to add that he only wanted a wee But I think it's important to keep hold of vital fluids .. perhaps the German skier did a little wee when he fell over .. just a theory

Why did I immediately thought of poo? :D If it was just pee... And if it was a warm summer's day... He could've just peed and then continued running and then gotten a few bottles of water at the stands and poured them down himself like he was feeling too hot and that would've disguised the pee... :lol:

I guess we'll never know about the German skier... I fear that he will never confess to peeing on the ground, after tripping over... :giggle:

Yes .. I saw his sister's race too so brilliant achievement for them both. I guess you would be a little bit peeved if you were the under-achieving sister. But then .. like you say .. bask in the glory without having to get up at 3am for training etc

It might actually be pretty great: knowing that nobody will ever be impressed By anything you will ever do, and you can totally not care about anything :D You can just let go and hang :D

I feel a bit sorry and more than a touch responsible about Switzerland's Fanny Smith coming a cropper in her ski cross races. I so liked her name that I decided she was to be my favourite .. consequently .. despite looking comfy and leading .. she crashed and burned. I thought the medics would have to come on and treat her for severe disappointment. She had to race for the minor positions and her heart wasn't in it. So sorry Fanny Smith .. if you'd have been called Susan I would never have pinned my hopes on you and probably you'd be polishing your medal now

:D :D :D Poor Fanny Smith. She never had a chance, and she never knew it.

Oh, well done Canada! So it's USA against Finland tomorrow for bronze, Canada and Sweden on Sunday for gold.

Sounds bloody awful! :( Not knowing what she did wrong, not having any apparent reasons for being disqualified. And death threats on Twitter?? People need to calm the F down! :o:(

In her first race she (unintentionally of course) crashed and took out one of the Korean favourites .. the Korean nation weren't happy and they took to Twitter along with the trolls of course that feed on misery :(

This wouldn't have happened in the old days .. it takes too long to send someone an abusive postcard .. all the fire's gone out of you by the time you've reached the postbox. I long for those days :blush2:

In her first race she (unintentionally of course) crashed and took out one of the Korean favourites .. the Korean nation weren't happy and they took to Twitter along with the trolls of course that feed on misery :(

:( These things happen. It's a quick and fierce sports and I bet it wasn't the first ever time to happen. Naughty Korea :(

This wouldn't have happened in the old days .. it takes too long to send someone an abusive postcard .. all the fire's gone out of you by the time you've reached the postbox. I long for those days :blush2:

And if you sent a postcard, you had to pick one recipient. It's not like you could post it out there for the whole world to see and respond to. I miss the good old days, too!

Why did I immediately thought of poo? If it was just pee... And if it was a warm summer's day... He could've just peed and then continued running and then gotten a few bottles of water at the stands and poured them down himself like he was feeling too hot and that would've disguised the pee...

I have no idea why he didn't just pee behind a tree .. it's not as if we're a refined family or anything. Maybe it would have been the same but like you say .. he could've just peed as he ran .. what with the sweat and everything who's to know?

How have we found ourselves here? :D

I guess we'll never know about the German skier... I fear that he will never confess to peeing on the ground, after tripping over...

No .. but we know what we know  :D

It might actually be pretty great: knowing that nobody will ever be impressed By anything you will ever do, and you can totally not care about anything .. You can just let go and hang

Yes .. it's more relaxing .. and you would probably be the laid back sibling and the jolly good fun sibling :D (or the very cross and resentful sibling .. one of the three anyway :D)

:D Poor Fanny Smith. She never had a chance, and she never knew it.

:D I do feel bad :blush2: I tried to fixate on someone else in the small final but it was no good .. the jinx fairies were already at work.

Oh, well done Canada! So it's USA against Finland tomorrow for bronze, Canada and Sweden on Sunday for gold.

Come on Finland! :smile: 

I have no idea why he didn't just pee behind a tree .. it's not as if we're a refined family or anything. Maybe it would have been the same but like you say .. he could've just peed as he ran .. what with the sweat and everything who's to know?

Yes, he could've also done that: just stop for a second and go behind a tree. Although I think that if you actually stop, it might be harder to continue... it might be easier just to wee while running. And how many people can say they've done that? It's a once in a lifetime experience... Just go with the flow... :D

You know, I'm not surprised by us ending up talking about stuff like this... :D It seems to happen every now and then :D

You know, I've seen pictures of a man who's running a marathon, and he's crapped his pants. You can see it all hanging from his pants and going down his legs. And he just kept going! So a little pee? Not too bad :D

No .. but we know what we know 

Yes... I'm afraid the judges have thought it through and the verdict's in: he did a wee pee :giggle:

Yes .. it's more relaxing .. and you would probably be the laid back sibling and the jolly good fun sibling  (or the very cross and resentful sibling .. one of the three anyway)

Oh yeah, they would actually love you for being the cool, laid back, fun loving sister :D They'd be jealous of how you get to do what you want, whenever you want. I think I'd sign up as their housesitter and just demand they bring books from their trips around the world :D Chippies, doggies and books, and housesitting. That's the life :cool:

I do feel bad. I tried to fixate on someone else in the small final but it was no good .. the jinx fairies were already at work.

I'm just happy that the Finnish names are all gibberish to you and do not remind your of funny things... :D

Yes, he could've also done that: just stop for a second and go behind a tree. Although I think that if you actually stop, it might be harder to continue... it might be easier just to wee while running. And how many people can say they've done that? It's a once in a lifetime experience... Just go with the flow...

You know, I'm not surprised by us ending up talking about stuff like this... It seems to happen every now and then.

:blush2: True .. not our fault though .. most roads lead to it  :giggle:  

You know, I've seen pictures of a man who's running a marathon, and he's crapped his pants. You can see it all hanging from his pants and going down his legs. And he just kept going! So a little pee? Not too bad

:o Gracious! I bet his Mum hasn't got that pic on her mantlepiece :D

Oh yeah, they would actually love you for being the cool, laid back, fun loving sister. They'd be jealous of how you get to do what you want, whenever you want. I think I'd sign up as their housesitter and just demand they bring books from their trips around the world.  Chippies, doggies and books, and housesitting. That's the life :cool:

Lord we could be so good at it .. d*mn .. why wasn't my sister an Olympic medallist? :blush2:

I'm just happy that the Finnish names are all gibberish to you and do not remind your of funny things...

Do you know .. I think the Finns must be immune. I've definitely been cheering them on but haven't jinxed them yet .. but I think you need to say the name in your head .. it's all part of the jinx process and, as you rightly say, I can't pronounce any of the Finnish names :blush2: 

Fanny Smith didn't remind me of anything :blush2:  :giggle:  :D