Sochi 2014 Winter Olympics

chesilbeach

Anyone else watching?  I'm already hooked!  

Just watched Jenny Jones win a bronze medal for Team GB in the women's snowboarding slope style competition.  The commentary was fantastic from the BBC team - informal but informative and passionate, and made for brilliant viewing.

Loved watching the mens slope style yesterday too, as well as the biathlon and the mens downhill skiing earlier this morning was exciting too.  Great coverage from the BBC.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyone else watching?  I'm already hooked!  

Just watched Jenny Jones win a bronze medal for Team GB in the women's snowboarding slope style competition.  The commentary was fantastic from the BBC team - informal but informative and passionate, and made for brilliant viewing.

Loved watching the mens slope style yesterday too, as well as the biathlon and the mens downhill skiing earlier this morning was exciting too.  Great coverage from the BBC.

Yeah, I watched some of then men's snowboarding (the commentary by Ed Leigh is always good  :D ) and the men's luge in the evening. But sometimes these sports are so dangerous (I can hardly watch the skeleton bob sleigh - it makes me cringe as the people go head first at incredible speeds on a sledge  :o . But I still watch it though  :giggle2: .

I don't tend to watch much tv but I saw a little bit yesterday when my parents were watching. They told me the Netherlands is doing well in the ice-skating, which is great (apparently we won gold, silver and bronze in the 5 km?). Some of the sports look quite dangerous, so fast it's going!

Yip me...been watching the snowboary flying through the air stuff...and really enjoyed some of the women's ice hockey this afternoon. Please for the Russian team getting their first win in front of their home crowd.

Can't wait for the curling to start though. :grinhat: Good have the red button for options too.

Edited by Inver

Yeah, I love the Winter Olympics, mainly for the ice hockey, but the only events that don't interest me at all are the figure skating/ice dance ones  :smile:

Both slope style competitions were ace.  Well done JJ! :D

I love the figure skating and especially the ice dancing .. probably ever since Torvill and Dean. That little Russian girl was brilliant and I loved the music.

Loving the ski jumping and snowboarding and luge etc. Not so keen on the speed skating .. like it up to a point and then nod off a bit. There seems to be some really weird entertainment going on between hockey matches etc .. some of it sounded like karaoke :D Fascinated as can hear it but not always see it.

The 'Ouch' factor is high :D 

Also .. we (Team GB) don't excel at winter sports (so well done Jenny Jones :smile:) but it seems to matter less than the summer Olympics. It's enjoyable in and of itself and I guess our expectations aren't high so we're thrilled if anyone comes within a sniff of a medal.

It's nice to have something on to get involved in :smile: Loving the coverage (in particular I like having Clare, Sue and Hazel back in my living room :smile:)

I think I lost interest in the ice dance and figure skating after Torvill & Dean!  I watched the BBC documentary last night about the day they won at Sarajevo in 1984 - it was really well done, describing the entire day leading up to the performance, and ridiculously, as the programme built to when they actually competed, I felt myself getting that nervous excitement all over again, just like when I was a little girl watching it for the first time!  It was brilliant to watch it again, and to see the whole routine in full with no commentary and no interruptions, although seemed much go by much quicker than I remember from childhood when it seemed to go on forever.  No-one could ever match that for me, and everything else still feels like an anti-climax. :D

Yes .. I saw that programme too Claire and enjoyed every minute of it again. I remember not being able to watch the actual performance .. far too nervous but have watched it a zillion times since and have seen them perform it live which was brilliant. When it came to them showing the whole routine again yesterday .. like you I felt nervous again but in a much better way as obviously knew the outcome. I turned it up loud and watched mesmerised all over again .. just gorgeous. The only thing that spoilt the programme was Jeffrey Archer .. what has he got to do with it? .. and I bet that family he called in on were fictional :D I said to Alan .. someone should ask him to produce them :D (I can't help distrusting Jeffrey but then .. he started it :D)

I know that routine back to front .. I could skate it (in my head obviously .. I can't even stand on ice :D) .. love it. Strange that Chris is so superstitious .. but then a lot of sports people are.

I'm mostly anticipating the men's ice hockey.  Team USA has 2 players from my state's team so I'm excited to see them hopefully come home with a medal!  I'm also planning on watching some of the down hill skiing and for sure men's halfpipe snowboarding.  Go USA! :D

I tend to avoid all sorts of Olympics at all costs, but I wanted to do a bit of crocheting yesterday (I blame poppyshake!), I thought I'd see what was on. Luckily one can watch these things online. It was women playing hockey, Sweden vs Japan to be precise, and it was good stuff. I was rooting for Japan, the underdog. They got a few situations going but were unable to score in the end :(

I also managed to catch a 7,5km skiing event, the one with the shooting, I can't remember what it's called. Finns didn't do very well, and it was difficult to watch their interviews, they were obviously very disappointed. There there :empathy: 

It was nice to see how happy the winners were, though. And I always like it when the people in the audience notice they're on TV and start waving their flags, I sometimes wave back and say 'hellooo!' :D

The ski jumping was good yesterday, and I watched some of the luge too. I like watch the alpine downhill skiing, but I think I missed that last night, so iplayer here I come.

It was nice to see how happy the winners were, though. And I always like it when the people in the audience notice they're on TV and start waving their flags, I sometimes wave back and say 'hellooo!' :D

Awww bless you :hug: .. I always say 'clear off!!' (or words to that effect :blush2:) .. that is if they're trying to camera hog.

I like the skiing, shooting thing too .. seems a bizarre combination but it works. I'd throw fishing in there too .. cut a hole in the ice and dangle a string down type thing ... that would probably slow it up a bit though and I can see that the viewer boredom factor might be high :D

Awww bless you :hug: .. I always say 'clear off!!' (or words to that effect :blush2:) .. that is if they're trying to camera hog.

:lol: :lol: Well if I'm in a really bad mood, I might blow them raspberries. But I was in a good mood yesterday. It also depends on what the people are like. If they seem like genuinely nice sports enthusiasts, it's nicer and one's more obliged to wave back. If they are snooty, overly attractive people who are only there to put up appearances, one can flip them a finger. It's really all a very detailed, scientific thing!

:D

I like the skiing, shooting thing too .. seems a bizarre combination but it works. I'd throw fishing in there too .. cut a hole in the ice and dangle a string down type thing ... that would probably slow it up a bit though and I can see that the viewer boredom factor might be high  :D

:D Ice fishing... Normal fishing, though, and not shooting the fish with the gun?

Kay for Olympics planning committee 2018! :flag_of_truce:   :D

Well I'm all curled out today....watched all the GB games...well done the guys, shame about the afternoon session though. Unlucky girls this morning...but hey it's only the first game. Better luck tomorrow hopefully...at least I don't need to get up at stupid o'clock to watch it...10am will do nicely ...then 3pm. Saw some womens ice hockey too....great win for USA.

Watched Canada beat Finland in ice hockey :(

Yes .. us too and we were annoyed :(:empathy:  :hug: 

GB curling team had mixed fortunes too .. still plenty of matches left to play.

I don't mind enthusiastic flag wavers etc .. but people showing off and generally behaving like tw*ts .. I can't bear. Though I would probably be behaving like a tw*t if I was in their shoes :blush2:  :D Like you said Sari .. it does depend on ones mood. On a Friday and at the weekend I'm definitely more benevolent .. by Monday though I'm usually snarling :D  

I'd probably propose crocheting for the 2018 Olympics .. extreme crocheting that is .. possibly blindfold .. whilst skiing :D 

I love the snowboarding and skiing.  A lot of the US competitors come from Reno/ Tahoe area, which is close here.  Shawn White competes halfpipe tomorrow!  Watched Netherlands kick butt tonight in mens speed skating though!

Edited by Anna Begins

Watched Canada beat Finland in ice hockey :(

:giggle2:  :empathy::D

Saw the final of the men's moguls.  Whenever I watch them do these things I always wonder how they do something like that the very first time.  The guy who won it looked like a helicopter taking off at one point  :o  :D

Watched Netherlands kick butt tonight in mens speed skating though!

x

Yes we did quite well :)! The gold and bronze medal winners are twins. We usually do nicely on the skating but not good on the sports that require mountains to practise with, because we don't have any mountains really.

Yes .. us too and we were annoyed :empathy: 

Thank you darling for the sympathy, it's much appreciated! But it was a very exciting game, I have to say. Well done Canada.

I don't mind enthusiastic flag wavers etc .. but people showing off and generally behaving like tw*ts .. I can't bear. Though I would probably be behaving like a tw*t if I was in their shoes. Like you said Sari .. it does depend on ones mood. On a Friday and at the weekend I'm definitely more benevolent .. by Monday though I'm usually snarling

I'm sure you wouldn't behave like a tw*t :D You'd simply nod moderately in acknowledgement and maybe show the camera the book you're currently reading. :D

Yes, dear audience, keep off the camera on Mondays! :giggle2:

I'd probably propose crocheting for the 2018 Olympics .. extreme crocheting that is .. possibly blindfold .. whilst skiing

:D I want to be there when you pitch this idea to the committee :D :D

:giggle2: 

:angry:

What a brilliant day for our Scottish (GB) curlers...the men did so well to get their win today right to the absolute last stone. The German guy must have been gutted when his stone completely missed the mark as it were.

And the girls....well what a game (short) 7 stones in one end and a record. Great stuff and then to win 12-3 in six ends....whoop :doowapstart:  (sorry USA, but you were kind of outplayed today).

Two days of not doing much else than watching the curling, and no doubt more of the same tomorrow!

Edited by Inver