Questions FROM the authors..

I'd like to ask readers what value they place on book covers? (Obviously crime and thriller covers in this case.) What draws you to pick up a book in a shop (if it's not by a favourite author)? Would you be put off buying a book because it has a hideous cover? Do you judge a book by its cover before you've even read a word - and by that, I mean do you size up if the book is your kind of thing before you read the blurb on the back?

I have been put off by a gruesome cover.   But I suppose gruesome is as gruesome does. :)

But I try not to judge a book by it's cover, but it really can't be helped to some extent. 

An example that comes to mind......and not a gruesome one.....is the original cover art for the hardback of The Sisters Brothers.  I hated the scull on the front.  But, in spite of that I finally bought it and loved the book.  Eventually the cover even began to rather intrigue me.  But the first impression was ewww.  Go figure. :)

Being a (mostly solely, now) Kindle reader, covers aren't very important to me. However, if I'm in a bookstore, often a cover can catch my attention from a distance and I will pick up the book to read the blurb. If I like the blurb, then I would either buy the book, or make a note of it to read up about it more.

I don't think I would ever be put off buying a book due to a hideous cover....then again, I don't recall seeing too many hideous covers, though I generally don't like movie-tie-in covers.

I'm surprised to hear that you don't have much control over the cover. :o Surely it's a very important part of the whole package? I take it then, that it's down to the publishers to choose the cover. Is that because they feel they have a better idea about what catches a readers' eye?

Hi bobblybear. It's an odd thing and people are always surprised but it's true. Publishers have dedicated artwork depts. or design companies they use for this and we get little say other than to ask for approval. And even disapproval may not see the cover changed. I originally self-published my first novel Reaper with a black and red cover and a scalpel (Don't ask!) When Harper Collins picked up the rights they changed the title to The Reaper (not massive I know) and provided a different cover the relevance to the actual book I still struggle to understand. They also dumped the wonderful strapline I came up with (Well I think so - Coming soon to a family near you!) If you go to my Amazon page you can still see both. No amount of protests would get them to budge an inch. Basically they're the experts and they're taking the financial risk so I guess it's fair enough.

Publishers do tend to present the author with the artwork and a note saying 'here's the cover and we love it hope you do too' and most of the time I do.  I really like the recent covers for my stand alone books (which are part of a cover trend known as the single female eye :))  Audio books have sometimes been wide of the mark, one of my gritty Sal Kilkenny private eye titles looked like wartime romance!  If a cover is really not a good reflection of the book, I've usually been able to get changes made with the help of my agent.

I'd like to ask readers what value they place on book covers? (Obviously crime and thriller covers in this case.) What draws you to pick up a book in a shop (if it's not by a favourite author)? Would you be put off buying a book because it has a hideous cover? Do you judge a book by its cover before you've even read a word - and by that, I mean do you size up if the book is your kind of thing before you read the blurb on the back?

I do most of my reading on my Kindle now and have found that the cover has little bearing on my choice, whereas in tree book form the cover does colour my decision making, despite knowing it's not logical. I have been drawn to books because of their covers, but will 'back up' my attraction by getting a feel for the book through it's back cover blurb. If the blurb confirms the appeal then I make the purchase. 

Pink and pale purple are cover colours I avoid as are pictures of stiletto heels or heaving breasts and muscly heroes, as Romance isn't a favoured genre. Additionally I will not take much notice of overly macho covers. I want the publisher to draw me in with a fairly neutral cover coupled with intriguing blurb that makes me want to open the book and read.