Your Book Activity - February 2014

Janet

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've started to read Veronica Roth - Divergent 1: Divergent, as I feel quite tired from doing a lot today and so thought a YA book would be easier on my mind. I've only read the first chapter (then wanted to go on here to post about it :giggle2:) but so far am enjoying it :).

Edited by Athena

I finished Swastika Night last night (my 3 sentence review is in my thread).  I highly recommend this book.  It's definitely in my top 5 books of all time.  It is NOT about the holocaust.

Started on Chuck Palahniuk's Damned, it's a re-read ahead of it's sequel Doomed, which I've been waiting to read for a long time (came out Oct last year).

I've devoted a lot of time to reading this month and have been going through books at my normal speed.  Guess I was just busy in January although, the books I read in Jan. were longer.  I've read quite a few Kindle Singles and short stories this week.

I've started to read Veronica Roth - Divergent 1: Divergent, as I feel quite tired from doing a lot today and so thought a YA book would be easier on my mind. I've only read the first chapter (then wanted to go on here to post about it :giggle2:) but so far am enjoying it :).

I downloaded it to my kindle a while back, they had one of their daily deals.  Haven't read it yet though.  I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

I'm reading The Martian by Andy Weir.  Really.  Really.  Yes, really good. 

Astronaut is stranded on Mars.  How does he survive.  The technical details are done so simply that I can understand them, and the author's sense of humor is great.  The story is told in log entries from his POV, and alternating chapters, from NASA's POV. 

Did I mention it is really well done?  :D  I read almost half last night.  :D

Missed your post :smile: I loved Divergent- there is a thread about it.  It goes quick.

I downloaded it to my kindle a while back, they had one of their daily deals.  Haven't read it yet though.  I'm glad you're enjoying it. :)

Missed your post :smile: I loved Divergent- there is a thread about it.  It goes quick.

x

It does go quick! I'm almost half way through and am really enjoying it. I hope you enjoy it too, Pontalba, when you get around to reading it :).

Finished A Monster Calls last night. I must be a hard cow because it didn't have the emotional impact on me that it seemed to have on others. It was sad, but I didn't need tissues. :hide:

Started The Final Winter: An Apocalyptic Horror Novel - Iain Rob Wright. Good so far.

I finished reading Veronica Roth - Divergent 1: Divergent and really enjoyed it (review forthcoming). I plan to read Insurgent next, since I'd like to find out what happens after the ending in book 1.

That's what I liked most about them- the pace and the desperate need to find out what happens next!

Started Attachments- Rainbow Rowell a couple of days ago. Nothing fantastic yet, but definitely a lighter read that the Book Thief, which is what I was after.

Finished Little Women today, it was ok but I don't really see the fuss, maybe I would have liked it if I read it earlier in my life. Not sure what to read next on my kindle, probably a review request for my blog as I have a bit of a backlog.

Also bought Me Talk Pretty One Day- David Sedaris on kindle daily deal today. Have heard lots of good things about it.

Finished two today, Frank Langella's,  Dropped Names.  4/5

And The Martian by Andy Weir 5/5  Reviewed both on my book thread. :)

Edited by pontalba

I brought from library As far as you can go by Lesley Glaister and The Earth Hums in B Flat by Mari Strachan

That's a wonderful book!. Hope you enjoy it too 

Really loved this .. hope you do too :)

I loved that one too. Really strange, but very realistic at the same time   :smile:

Ok.  This Chuck Palahniuk book, Doomed... I don't even know what to think about it.  Its one head trip for sure.  However, I feel like Doomed should have come first, before Damned, which was one heck of a book.  This one is too, don't get me wrong...its just... different.  Maybe it is building for a big grand ending, but I've less than 60pgs left.

Edited: Actually, I've lost all caring and sympathy for the main character and I don't even know if I want to finish it. :negative:

Edited by Anna Begins

Aww sorry to hear that Anna :(.

I've started to read Veronica Roth - Divergent 2: Insurgent and it's good so far, picking up just after the first book ended.

I finished it and reviewed it in a few sentences in my thread. I gave it a kind 2/5 just because it is Chuck Palahniuk.

I hope you like Insurgent, it was my favorite of the 3.  But, I often like the middles of trilogies.

Glad you finished it at least, I hope your next read will be more enjoyable :).

Me too- but it is already dark and heavy.  It's always on those "Banned" lists or "Should Read" lists, so I picked it up.  It's a teenage diary of drug abuse. The author is unknown.

Hello!!! I'm reading All the pretty Horses, Cormac McCarthy and enjoying really much. Then I'm in the middle of a huge book on The Beat Generation (lovely book, lovely poets and writers and photographers and so so on) what is more, I promised my best friend I would have give another chance to Stephen King, so I started The Shining, but I can't help myself and I still think about Jack Nicholson's freaky smile while I read. :blush2: