Your Book Activity - February 2014

Janet

I'm reading The Book Thief in paperback (about time!). It was on my wishlist for ages, then I eventually got it some time last year. I was reading Quiet but switched over so I could read The Book Thief before I see the film. Really enjoying it.

My daughter read that one, also before wanting to read it before watching the movie. I'm still hesitating to read the book myself though, she says she didn't really like the ending. (and is refusing to tell me what it is, since we're both going to watch the movie when it's available here)  Will you let me know after finishing it wether you liked the ending or not? You don't necessarily have to tell me what happens, just if it really is sad or horrible in your opinion or as a fact.

----------------

I'm reading 'The wasted virgil' by Nadeem Aslam right now. I'm still in the first chapters and so far it's interesting and even poetic at times. I like the way he's introducing new characters, it's getting a little crowded now, but I haven't mixed them and their story lines up yet. 

Edited by sadya

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My mojo has been questionable for a few days, but I'm most of the way through UnWholly by Neal Shusterman and am loving it, though not as much as the first book. Still, enough to happily continue with it and keep reading the series - I love the new stories and ideas presented in the novel, perhaps the novelty of such an unusal premise has just worn off.

Also thinking of reading the Rebus series... I love the tv show (well, the first series with John Hannah anyway!) and though crime isn't my usual ballpark I genuinely love the stories depicted in that series, so I may give the books a go. Who knows, it may kick off a love of crime novels!

Finished Jack Reacher No 8 (The Enemy) by Lee Child.  Starting last night on another crime thriller about an obituary writer who wakes up in a morgue, called Poe by J. Lincoln Fenn.  If you have a Kindle, you've probably seen or read the description.  I like it so far.

Halfway through The Time Travellers Wife & im actually enjoying it. I didnt realise it was a romantic book, i just wanted to read it for the time travelling but its actually quite good!

Fnished Poe by J Lincoln Fenn.  It was good.  I didn't know that it is considered "horror".  Anyway, could've been better written, but I liked it.  Just started The Transfer: A Divergent Story, the beginning of Veronica Roth's 4 short story series from Four's point of view.

Edited by Anna Begins

I've started another of the Harry Bosch series by Michael Connelly, Black Ice

I also lucked out at the Library Sale.  37 books, but I hasten to say they were mostly a dollar each, a few 50 cents. :)  Stocked up on more of Connelly and a few other detective types.

After I finished Poe, I read two (very) short stories from the Divergent series.  One was a "13th Chapter" (Free Four), a scene from the first book told from Four's perspective.  It was a waste of money and I hated it.  It was basically the same scene from the book.  Then I read The Transfer, the first of 4 short stories about his life.  This was good.  I will wait for the other 3 and will probably read them.

I started Vampire Academy tonight.

Edited by Anna Begins

My daughter read that one, also before wanting to read it before watching the movie. I'm still hesitating to read the book myself though, she says she didn't really like the ending. (and is refusing to tell me what it is, since we're both going to watch the movie when it's available here)  Will you let me know after finishing it wether you liked the ending or not? You don't necessarily have to tell me what happens, just if it really is sad or horrible in your opinion or as a fact.

x

I would say sad. I loved the book, I hope you both enjoy the film too! I hope to see it some time as well.

Finished Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson on Friday.  WOW!  What a fantastic book.

x

That's great to hear! The book is on my TBR.

I haven't yet started a new book. After the epicness that was Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix I'm not yet sure what I feel like reading. I've been reading some (not so complicated) magazines instead.

Getting towards the end of Dune. I may finish it today or tomorrow. :boogie:

x

That's great! I'm glad you're enjoying Dune :). I haven't yet decided if I'm going to re-read it or whether I'll go by memory, I read it in 2012 so it's not too long ago, but it would be fun to re-read it.. I'll see how I feel.

Half way though my Kindle download of The Seed Farm by Ruby Lord,and while it's quite an original idea and the story is quite good,the grammar is quite poor. There's

a woeful absence of commas and full stops. Reviewers on Amazon & Goodreads haven't mentioned this,so maybe it's a dodgy download! :giggle2:  :smile:

I ordered The Strangler Vine by M.J.Carter from Wordery today. It's a historical adventure set in colonial India.

I'm almost done so will let you know. I know that a lot of people love it. I can maybe guess what could happen in the end which may not be nice...but maybe...real

Halfway through The Time Travellers Wife & im actually enjoying it. I didnt realise it was a romantic book, i just wanted to read it for the time travelling but its actually quite good!

I love The Time Traveller's Wife, it's one of my favourite books. Partly for the romance, but it's not your stereotypical romance.

Finished Before I Go To Sleep by SJ Watson on Friday.  WOW!  What a fantastic book.  

This is on my (ever increasing) TBR pile, I will get around to it...at some point!

Two new books today, a belated birthday present. The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult and Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. I always enjoy Picoult novels, and I've heard lots of goo things about Rowell so I'm looking forward to them.

That's great! I'm glad you're enjoying Dune :). I haven't yet decided if I'm going to re-read it or whether I'll go by memory, I read it in 2012 so it's not too long ago, but it would be fun to re-read it.. I'll see how I feel.

I've enjoyed the first of the three books most. I found the Atreides group more interesting to read about than the Harkonnen. :smile:

Has anyone ever read Swastika Night by Katherine Burdekin (pseudonym Murray Constantine)?  It is categorized as "speculative fiction".  It was published (in 1937) 12 years before 1984 and it's about a fascist society post- Hilterian world.  Very good so far.  It was recommended to me by Amazon.

Two new books today, a belated birthday present. The Storyteller by Jodi Picoult and Attachments by Rainbow Rowell. I always enjoy Picoult novels, and I've heard lots of goo things about Rowell so I'm looking forward to them.

x

Enjoy your new books! I have The Storyteller on my TBR.

Finished The Book Thief a few minutes ago. Amazing but horrible too. So full of pain. The end made me cry, and it was a lot, but it was necessary, I think.

Considering starting Attachments next, think I fancy something light.