• Announcements

• Hayley

Something Wicked This Way Comes...   10/09/2019

The Autumn Supporter Giveaway!       Welcome to the very first of the seasonal BCF supporter giveaways! This month also marks one year since I took on the forum, so I want to say an extra huge thank you to all of you for keeping this place going. I have a little bit more to say about that later but, for now, let's get to the giveaway!     The Autumn Giveaway winner will be getting two Penguin Little Black Classics, The Tell-Tale Heart by Edgar Allan Poe and To Be Read At Dusk by Charles Dickens. Both of these little books contain three atmospheric short stories, perfect for autumnal evenings. The winner will also get Mary Shelley tea (a lavender and vanilla black tea) from Rosie Lea Tea's Literary Tea Collection (https://www.rosieleatea.co.uk/collections/literary-tea-collection) and a chocolate skull, to really get that spooky atmosphere .   and...   A special treat for a special month. The winner will choose one of the following recent paperback releases from the independent bookshop Big Green Bookshop:       The Wych Elm by Tana French A House of Ghosts by W.C. Ryan Melmoth by Sarah Perry The Familiars by Stacey Halls  The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein by Kiersten White   The winner will be chosen via the usual random selection process in one week. Patreon supporters are entered automatically. If you aren't a patreon supporter but you'd like to join in with this giveaway, you can support here: https://www.patreon.com/bookclubforum.   I really hope you're all going to like this introduction to the seasonal giveaways. It's been a lot of fun to put together. Other chocolate skulls may have been harmed during the selection process…     
green

Historical Crime

Do you class historical crime as a separate genre to crime? Examples are C.J.Sansom's Shardlake series set during the reign of Henry VIII,Rory Clements' Elizabethan series,and more recently D.E.Meredith's Victorian crime novels,Devoured and The Devil's Ribbon. I do tend to split historical crime from modern crime/thrillers though they're often equal or superior to the modern crime novels.

I suppose crime has it's own sub-genres. There's cosy murders like Agatha Christie, and then the more grittier novels. I would say historical crime is probably a sub-genre, or a crossover genre.

I would view it a bit like fiction, within the broad genre of fiction there is fiction, historical fiction, science fiction, etc.

BTW another good historical crime series is the Falco series by Lindsey Davis. :)

Do you class historical crime as a separate genre to crime? Examples are C.J.Sansom's Shardlake series set during the reign of Henry VIII,Rory Clements' Elizabethan series,and more recently D.E.Meredith's Victorian crime novels,Devoured and The Devil's Ribbon. I do tend to split historical crime from modern crime/thrillers though they're often equal or superior to the modern crime novels.

These sound good!  Checking out samples on Kindle now... thanks a lot lol  This site gets me into so much trouble!

Edited: Only finding CJ Sansom on Kindle :mellow:

Edited by Anna Begins

Thanks for the tip-off Vimes. :smile:  I agree,Andrea,that historical crime is probably a sub-genre,though it's soared in popularity in the last 10 years I would say. There's also a fast growing 'historical action' genre now too.

These sound good!  Checking out samples on Kindle now... thanks a lot lol  This site gets me into so much trouble!

Edited: Only finding CJ Sansom on Kindle :mellow:

I've checked and both Rory Clements and D.E.Meredith are available on Kindle,in the U.K,any way!

I've checked and both Rory Clements and D.E.Meredith are available on Kindle,in the U.K,any way!

That's terrible!  A book should be available to all!

That's terrible!  A book should be available to all!

Did you check on Amazon in the U.S,Anna Begins? Both Clements & Meredith are there on Kindle.

Did you check on Amazon in the U.S,Anna Begins? Both Clements & Meredith are there on Kindle.

Found them finally!  Thanks, they sound good!

Andrew Taylor is a UK writer who's produced some excellent historical crime fiction, The Scent of Death is set in New York during the American War of Independence and won a Dagger here from the Crime Writers Association.  I'd also recommend Laura Wilson's Stratton series set in the 40s and 50s and Sarah Waters' Victorian novels.  And the late Ariana Franklin whose books are set in the twelfth century and feature a great female protagonist are really excellent and unusual reads.

As Andrea said, I'd class it as a sub-genre.  I'll add Steven Saylor to the list - his novels about Gordianus the Finder, set in Ancient Rome, are very, very good.  I'm also a fan of Rory Clements and C J Sansom, and I'm interested in - but have yet to read - Susanna Gregory and James Forrester.  Must give them a try soon!

Andrew Taylor is a UK writer who's produced some excellent historical crime fiction, The Scent of Death is set in New York during the American War of Independence and won a Dagger here from the Crime Writers Association.

Just had a look at this one - sounds right up my street.  Thanks for the recommendation :smile:

All this sounds great- I love historical fiction and crime/ thrillers.  Raiders of the Nile by Saylor looks great- comes out Feb. 25th.

Edited by Anna Begins

Andrew Taylor is a UK writer who's produced some excellent historical crime fiction, The Scent of Death is set in New York during the American War of Independence and won a Dagger here from the Crime Writers Association.  I'd also recommend Laura Wilson's Stratton series set in the 40s and 50s and Sarah Waters' Victorian novels.  And the late Ariana Franklin whose books are set in the twelfth century and feature a great female protagonist are really excellent and unusual reads.

Thanks for the recommendations,Cath,I'll look them up.  :smile:

There are many sub genres within the crime "envelope" and historical crime is just one. In fact, because crime is the single most popular genre, more and more writers/publishers are classifying their novels as crime when they wouldn't have been considered as such ten years ago. There's a growing body of "crime" that deals with relationships breaking up (The Silent Wife, Gone Girl) and a huge body of work that once would have come under the heading "family drama" which is now included under the "Psychological Drama" label.

I don't read enough historical crime fiction but have just discovered Imogen Robertson's wonderful series. The Paris Winter, set in 1900s Paris is a revelation.

All this sounds great- I love historical fiction and crime/ thrillers.  Raiders of the Nile by Saylor looks great- comes out Feb. 25th.

Yeah, it does look good!  I haven't read either of the prequels with young Gordianus, yet - shall get there . . . eventually!  :smile:   I started with Roman Blood - well worth a look, and cheap on Kindle in the US at the moment, if you're interested :smile: