Our Crime and Thriller Authors

The following authors have expressed an interest in coming along and chatting, time allowing...

Sam Hayes - Website

Claire McGowan - Website

Sharon Bolton - Website

Steven Dunne - Website

Cath Staincliffe - Website

Sarah Hilary - Website

Ladies and gentleman, if you do manage to visit, please introduce yourself here, and tell us a little about your books... 

Hi, I’ve written three series of books, the Sal Kilkenny private eye mysteries, the Blue Murder series (based on the TV show I created) and the Scott and Bailey novels – I wasn’t involved in that show or create those wonderful characters but was asked to write prequels to the TV series.  My other strand of work is a number of stand-alone crime novels which feature ordinary people caught up in the criminal justice system and focus on the aftermath of crime for the relatives of victims.   

Hello everyone. I'm a thriller writer based in Derby which is where I set my DI Damen Brook novels. I write intense and occasionally violent (though all serious violence is off camera) serial killer thrillers which I hope have a probing moral centre. I am working on my 5th DI Brook novel for Headline entitled A Killing Moon, having already written The Reaper, The Disciple, Deity and The Unquiet Grave.

Hi everyone. Thanks for asking me over to the forum, Michelle. I write psychological thrillers, and my latest book Until You're Mine is out now in paperback. It's the first book in a series of novels featuring my married detectives - Detective Inspectors Lorraine Fisher and Adam Scott. They live in Birmingham with their two daughters and, as well as solving crimes in the city, they have a few domestic issues to sort out too! The second in this series is called Before You Die and is out on April 24th, so not long to wait if you enjoyed the first (although they can be read in any order). I wrote four books before this, again all psychological thrillers. I'll be popping into the forum regularly this month, so do fire any questions and I'll do my best to answer! Sam x  

Hi

Thanks for inviting me along, Michelle. 

I write psychological thrillers or, to use the term I am trying to seed all over the place, domestic noir. My three novels Cuckoo, Every Vow You Break and Tarnished will be joined by a fourth, The Long Fall in June 2014. All my books are published in the UK by Headline.

I tend to write about women whose lives seem, at a casual glance, to be pretty good (or at least ordered), but underneath there are problems, worries, secrets. My stories start at the point where these darker aspects of my characters' lives become uncontainable. So I like to turn the classic crime structure of a murder being solved and the world being put to rights on its head, sometimes even reversing it completely. 

I live in Brighton, the town that Keith Waterhouse said 'always looks as if it it helping the police with their enquiries'. Along with Emlyn Rees I am setting up Dark & Stormy, the exciting new crime genre festival, starting this year as part of the main 2014 Brighton Festival, from 23-25 May.

There's more about me on my website: www.juliacrouch.co.uk, or follow me on twitter: @thatjuliacrouch

Edited by JuliaCrouch

• 3 weeks later...

As the month is drawing to a close, I'd just like to thank Michelle for inviting me to guest and all the readers who have taken the trouble to ask questions and read our answers. Thanks also to all those members who might be tempted to try my work. I hope you enjoy it. If any further questions (or comments or reviews of my books) beyond this month, members can email me from the link on my website www.stevendunne.co.uk

Thanks again everyone and, as I am now a member, I will drop in from time to time, work permitting. It's been very enjoyable. :)

Thanks for visiting, Steve. :smile:

I think it makes a real difference to readers to interact with authors, and I know for myself that I will be buying and reading books from each of the authors that have dropped in this month. You have all 'sold' yourselves really well. :D

And I would in turn like to thank the authors who have taken the time to come and chat to us. It's not been as busy as I hoped it would be, but it's still been worth it.

Also thank you to those authors who spoke to their publishers about arranging giveaways, I will sorting those out at the weekend. Steve, have you met up with Sam yet to sign yours? ;)

Also thank you to those authors who spoke to their publishers about arranging giveaways, I will sorting those out at the weekend. Steve, have you met up with Sam yet to sign yours? ;)

Hi Michelle

Signatures completed at my end. Thanks again everyone.

My fifth DI Brook thriller, A Killing Moon, is nearly finished and should be in the shops later this year. That will be followed by a day in bed and a week of walking around the Peak District trying to forget what 4 walls look like. It's always a weird time. Such relief giving way to the nagging voice in your head that says, "What's next?"

A final question from me to our visiting authors.. what's next for you, do you have something due to be published, or something you're working on?

Next up for me is the publication of Before You Die on April 24th. It's the second in the DIs Lorraine Fisher and Adam Scott series. Meantime, I'm beginning an exciting new story for them, due next year!