A Year of Genres 2014

BookThane1590

I love to read, but I tend to stay with a certain genre (largely romance). Nothing wrong with that, but it means there’s not much variety in what I read. I tend to stay inside the lines, where it’s comfortable and the plots are simple. There are no complex plots, and for the most part, it’s only a few (if that) different genres yearly, by a few (if that) different authors.  

In September 2013, I had the idea to start a different reading pattern from what I had done heretofore. My plan was to read a book from a different genre each month, for a year. 12 genres in 12 months. I thought, why wait for the New Year to start something new? October was Stephen King’s Pet Sematary, November was Justin Halpern’s S*it my Dad Says, December was 30 Things Every Woman Should Have and Should Know by the Time She’s 30 by Pamela Redmond Satran and the editors of Glamour Magazine, and since the last book started in December and bled into this month, I accidentally skipped a book for January. Plus, I don’t have it all mapped out. I only have eight books planned so far, and I might change some of the genres.

I’m not sure what February will be, but I plan to keep going after the year of genres. Maybe a year of Stephen King next, or a year of series. Help me out here! Any suggestions? What year of books have you done, or would like to do?   

Hi

I think if you just wrote down a bunch of different type books ,say you'd find in the library :

Go with biography, memoir, history ( LOTS of different categories for this one ), true crime, travel, adventure, mystery,suspense, classics, sci-fi .. the list just goes on and on. If you make a trip to the library, just hit up a bunch of different sections and pick out a book from each one . That should give you a good start ,

Thanks Julie!

Book bingo? What would be in your year of genres, Julie? 

Every book on my list so far is already in my own personal library. By choosing from my personal collection of books on my TBR list, there's a good chance I won't get bored and fall behind in my year. 

Hi BookThane I did a Genre Challenge in 2012 it really opened me up to lots of new books. I took my original list of genres from somebody else's on here and then added a few more to make 24 genres and read 2 a month, as I am a fast reader. I am sure if you do a search for Genre Challenge on here you will find the original list. Good luck! 

Julie-Thanks for the friend request and the Book Bingo idea; totally brilliant. I already know what I'm reading for the next couple years, but I'll remember it so I have a more diverse list for my next year of genres. I'll post the list soon.

Vodkafan-I found one of your Genre Challenges and thought that was really brilliant. I love that you had so many books, a few genres completely new and mysterious to me (like "lad lit;" never heard of it before I saw it on your list), some I have read and others I haven't but am still curious about (I appreciated your review of The Bourne Identity).

Kidsmum-Thanks for the recommendation on the Reading Circle, but there are so many to choose from and so little time! I should join a Reading Circle, but I'm always reading my own books, never on a partner read or anything like that. I'll have to find one that likes me. 

I'm not sure, but I think Kidsmum meant the Reading Circle we have here on the forum. :)Here's the link to the section!

In fact, Timstar is doing a Reading Circle on sci-fi/fantasy in March, and it's a month away, you'd still have loads of time to read the book, because the poll's not closed yet, as it is, and if you like, you could join the discussion :)Here's a link to the poll.

Also, the boss, Michelle, has said that next month is going to be Crime month here on the forum. I don't know what that entails, exactly, but I think Michelle will be opening a few threads to discuss crime fiction etc. :)

^ Edit: Here's the link to the announcement on the crime/thriller month in February!

And by the way, I love your idea of broadening your horizons and trying out different genres. I hope you have a great reading year ahead of you! :smile2:

Edited by frankie

Bookthane

Glad to help ,as I'm sure most anyone on here would be . It's a nice group with friendly people ,so if you ever need help just holler. I'm sure somebody will jump in to assist you . Good luck with your reading this year  :)