Edgar Allan Poe, anyone?

We all know this bitter looking brilliant man.

(I'm sorry but he just looks very bitter in most of his pictures)

Anyway I love this guy's poetry and short stories. I've read all of his poems, though he has only written a few, they're really nice. Of course I loved 'The Raven' a little more than the other ones.

I've read a few of his short stories as well.

'A tell-tale heart' left me breathless. Magnificent writing. Short stories can be very exciting.

I think everyone should try his books. Gripping and thrilling they are and breathless they will leave you.

*Attempting and failing to be cheesy*

Cheers!

I have his collected works (99 us cents on Kindle), but I have yet to get to them.  I hope to start them this year. But I have Grimm's Fairy Tales to begin as well.

I saw your post on books being expensive and I'm not sure how it would work in your country, but you should consider an Amazon  Kindle or e-reader, even if you don't like them.  I was against them too, until I got one as a gift.  They are great on eyesight, being able to adjust the font size, color, etc.  If you can afford the Amazon Paperwhite, that is the best as it has a back light that really helps as well.  Again, I'm not sure what is available to you, but seriously look into it.  In the US and the UK, Kindle has daily specials and free books- mostly classics.

I have his collected works (99 us cents on Kindle), but I have yet to get to them. I hope to start them this year. But I have Grimm's Fairy Tales to begin as well.

I saw your post on books being expensive and I'm not sure how it would work in your country, but you should consider an Amazon Kindle or e-reader, even if you don't like them. I was against them too, until I got one as a gift. They are great on eyesight, being able to adjust the font size, color, etc. If you can afford the Amazon Paperwhite, that is the best as it has a back light that really helps as well. Again, I'm not sure what is available to you, but seriously look into it. In the US and the UK, Kindle has daily specials and free books- mostly classics.

I actually checked out the specification on the Kindle paperwhite. Seems like a great gadget. I really should get one. Thanks for all your kindness. :)

Grimms fairy tale is on my TBR list as well. I hope to read it soon.

I am lucky :D I would say from which publisher it is but I´m not sure if I´m allowed to, I got the rules mixed up. I actually read the black cat when I was 8 because my gran has a huge library and I saw a book with a cat on and thought it was cute. I had nightmares after reading it and then completely forgot about it until we learnt about him in our Croatian class and had to read The Black Cat for a book report. My teacher is responsible for my love of him, :D

I am lucky :D I would say from which publisher it is but I´m not sure if I´m allowed to, I got the rules mixed up. I actually read the black cat when I was 8 because my gran has a huge library and I saw a book with a cat on and thought it was cute. I had nightmares after reading it and then completely forgot about it until we learnt about him in our Croatian class and had to read The Black Cat for a book report. My teacher is responsible for my love of him, :D

Poe had been fascinated with death and mystery. It seems that death contemplation had been a part of his life. He was also one of the first writers to earn commercial success through writing, I think. I could be wrong.

His writing has always made me think. And I like thinking. For what better thing to do than think when you're sitting on the last bench in class and the teacher is rattling on about chemistry? :P

I've read a few of his short stories but none of his poetry, I do really want to read The Raven though. I have it in an anthology of American literature, so eventually I will get around to reading it!

First, I love the name Hayley. I love it I tell you! :D

You really should read the Raven. I didn't really get the whole thing the first time I read it. Just got the gist of it. When I read it a second and a third time, I realized that it is a poem about a man's slow fall into insanity. Its like a psychological thriller poem lol :D

• 2 years later...

We all know this bitter looking brilliant man.

(I'm sorry but he just looks very bitter in most of his pictures)

Anyway I love this guy's poetry and short stories. I've read all of his poems, though he has only written a few, they're really nice. Of course I loved 'The Raven' a little more than the other ones.

I've read a few of his short stories as well.

'A tell-tale heart' left me breathless. Magnificent writing. Short stories can be very exciting.

I think everyone should try his books. Gripping and thrilling they are and breathless they will leave you.

*Attempting and failing to be cheesy*

Cheers!

Yes short stories can be short but very, very sweet. There's a lot of interesting short stories he has... The Fall of the House of Usher is such a strange experience. Metzengerstein is an interesting gothic horror satire.