The Vampire Diaries By L. J. Smith

Sadia Tahna

I haven't read them as other members on here who've read them haven't given them glowing reviews, but I have watched and enjoyed the television series.

Perhaps you could write bit more about the books?  I think it's quite a long series now, isn't it?  What did you think of them and why do you like them? :)

I haven't read them as other members on here who've read them haven't given them glowing reviews, but I have watched and enjoyed the television series.

Perhaps you could write bit more about the books? I think it's quite a long series now, isn't it? What did you think of them and why do you like them? :)

The tv series was much better than the books. I love Ian Somerhalder playing Damon. I've only read the first five books of the series. To be quire honest, they kinda sucked. lol

I read the books after seeing the first season of the tv show and I was immensely disappointed. Damon seems kinda cartoonish in the books. None of his anti-hero appeal is present in the books as it is in the tv series. The characters lack depth.

have you seen the tv series? much better than the novels.

x

I haven't. I much prefer reading over watching TV series, though I watch TV series now and then too. If it's ever on TV here I might take a look. I haven't really been in a vampire mood lately to be honest.

• 5 months later...

I have been addicted to the television series. I find it hard to believe that Paul Wesley and Ian Somerhalder are in their 30s. :( That's my chance gone out the window. I have the first 2 books in the series on my Kindle, though I haven't gone that far into them because they are a little hard to get into, so I've been distracting myself with other books.. The television series will always have a place in my heart, though. 

I've tried both the books and the TV show, and neither were able to keep me entertained. I think the only reason they found popularity so long after being published was because of the Twilight vampire mania, and I'm still bitter about how terrible the Twilight franchise is, so. Yeah. I couldn't do it. I like vampires as a general rule, just not the teen ones. 

• 2 weeks later...

I've tried both the books and the TV show, and neither were able to keep me entertained. I think the only reason they found popularity so long after being published was because of the Twilight vampire mania, and I'm still bitter about how terrible the Twilight franchise is, so. Yeah. I couldn't do it. I like vampires as a general rule, just not the teen ones. 

Well, your probably right about The Vampire Diaries gaining popularity after Twilight because the first book of the series was published in 1991.  In fact, the first four books were all published in the early '90's.

• 2 years later...

After seeing all the comments on this forum I am a little shocked because I read the books before watching the show and I remember really enjoying them. I could be because I was in my angsty teenage years, though. But I only read the main series. I think there have been spin off series with Stephen but I didn't bother reading them because I was done with vampires at that point. I remember there being some drama between LJ Smith and the tv show because (if I remember it all correctly) Smith was approached to write the series but something happened and she was kicked off the project.

• 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I thought Elana was selfish and annoying. The boys were stereotypes and frustrating. I found the books lacked interesting plots and twists such as the link between Elana and Katherine and the doppelganger curse. The TV series was really good for this, I really enjoyed their version of the original vampires. I thought the books would be better than the TV series (since most things are) but it didn't click w me, I found it shockingly bad.

Hayley

Edited by Athena
Link removed. New members are not allowed to sign up to promote themselves and they are not allowed to post links.