Your books wish list

Athena

Do you have a wishlist? How often do you buy books from it?

There was a time where I added a lot of books to my wishlist (in the beginning of last year mainly), pretty much anything I found that I thought sounded interesting. The past few months, since I decided to write my wishlist down physically, I haven't added many at all. I feel I should go through the whole thing and get rid of some books that I added ages ago but perhaps aren't for me upon second thought. There are a lot of books on my wishlist and I feel it'd be better if I was a little stricter and deleted some old stuff off of it. It will take time and energy, though. I haven't typed it out digitally yet, but it's on GoodReads and part of it on Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com (Kindle reads). It's also hand written in a notebook (based on date added to wishlist).

How do you do things with your wishlist? What makes you decide to put a book on there, and do you ever go back and cross books off that you're not interested in anymore? My wishlist is so big :blush2: (not as big as the amount of books I own, but still), I feel I'll need to bring it down (so I can add some more :giggle:). How long do books normally stay on your wishlist? Do you only buy books that are on your wishlist? (I don't)

I'm just curious how all of you do this.

I just use Amazon for my wishlist - it's so easy to just click the button to add books! - and, like Michelle, I go through it from time to time (maybe every couple of weeks) and delete books I'm not all that bothered about. The only time I ever type it out is if people have asked what I'd like for my birthday or Christmas. :)

I probably buy a book off my wishlist at least once a month. Now I'm working again I'm going to give myself £20 spending money (book money) per month. With this I'll probably get one book off my Amazon wishlist, and a couple of others from Waterstones. Even though Amazon are cheaper, I like to buy from Waterstones too (even though, after sometimes spending more than an hour browsing, I often end up buying books I've never even heard of before, let alone had on my wishlist! :giggle: ).

My wish list is split between Amazon and the notes section on my phone/iPad. I find the Amazon wishlist really helpful and easy to add/subtract books, plus I examine it frequently to take advantage of price reductions!

But my phone wishlist is helpful when I'm in Waterstone's/the library browsing.

I don't feel pressure to keep my wishlist at a certain manageable length - I don't own the books, so what's the problem? I'm trying to reduce my TBR, but my wishlist isn't costing me money, book space or increasing the pile of books TBR, so I don't stress about it. I just add them!

I'm a disaster with wishlists. I pretty much only have the one typed out in my reading thread - I rarely browse Amazon for ideas. I should, though, because it's the first place I go to look up a title I've heard talked about!

I use Amazon for my wish list, since I read nearly all Kindle books it makes sense. The list currently has around 76 books on it, mostly from different countries for the Around the World Reading Challenge. I check it periodically to see if any of those books have been reduced in price and if they are, then I buy them. I had a bit of a spending spree at beginning of the year, as I had about £50 worth of Amazon vouchers to spend and quite a lot of the books were reduced at that time, so I bought about 6 or 7 of them.   

Like most people here, I use Amazon for my wishlist, with separate lists for fiction and non-fiction.  There's usually about 30-40 non-fiction and a dozen fiction at present..  I try to put all books I intend to buy on there, and then sit on them to see if I really want them - that's unless something amazing comes up on a Kindle Daily Deal or similar (very rare - just doesn't really cover what I read anymore).  I can access that list on my phone when shopping.  Every few months I have a clear out of books that I'm actually now not going to buy.  However, some do sit on there a while, for instance whilst I wait for them to come out in paperback.

I also use Amazon wish lists, but I have separate lists for different genres, and specific authors, and also split between Kindle and tree books, as well as wish lists I keep for books I think other people will like for birthdays and Christmas - I have a lot of lists! :D  It is useful, for when I particularly want to read a specific type of book, such as a travel book, I only need to search one wish list for something to buy.  I have hundreds of books on my wish lists, and I do occasionally have a clear out but it still remains high even after that.

Yes I use Amazon too .. though I have two wishlists there .. one for my relations etc to see and choose from if they want (have to be pretty sure before I put a book on it) and one that only I can see that I stick every book on that I like the look/sound of .. though, like others, I cull it every now and then (or else surely the world would tilt on it's axis in some catastrophic way?!) I keep a list on here too which is pretty solid and again .. only titles I'm pretty sure about get put on it. I'm also always putting books on my Goodreads 'want to read' shelf whenever I come across them .. there's probably about 300 titles on there (can't tell exactly how many as they're mixed in with the TBR's on my shelves.)

I don't think I've ever been in a position where I didn't have at least fifty books on my wishlist but yes .. I do buy books that are not on it :blush2: I'm far too succeptible to the lure of a nice cover not to be immediately drawn to something in a bookshop window :blush2: and I'm also a Waterstone's 'buy one get one half price' victim :blush2: If only their list and mine would co-incide :blush2: 

I also use Amazon wish lists, but I have separate lists for different genres, and specific authors, and also split between Kindle and tree books, as well as wish lists I keep for books I think other people will like for birthdays and Christmas - I have a lot of lists! :D  It is useful, for when I particularly want to read a specific type of book, such as a travel book, I only need to search one wish list for something to buy.  I have hundreds of books on my wish lists, and I do occasionally have a clear out but it still remains high even after that.

I like the idea of dividing the lists by genre.  I may go in and do just that. 

Like most of y'all, I use the Amazon Wish List, and go through, ruthlessly, and clear out what I'm no longer interested in, or have bought at a Library Sale or second hand book store.  I always have the vague, but unsubstantiated, hope that Amazon will see something on my Wish List, and put it on sale...!  Ha Ha!

I am all up in the air with wish lists and planned reading. Not that I would like to be well organized and set these things up but I tend to be very sporadic in my reading and if something I see grabs my fancy then I read it. I do have a Kindle and sometimes just flick through the free books and take a chance on what is there. I suppose being unable to work at the moment does play a part in that I cannot afford to buy stuff that I would like but more to what is acceptable on my budget. However this has both merits and issues as sometimes I read something that is brilliant for next to nothing. On the other hand I would like to be able to extend my reading to material that really catches my eye but is out of my fiscal range, at the moment. 

Like everyone else, I go with Amazon.  But I only read ebooks/ Kindle books so I don't use the "wish" feature, I download the "sample" of the book.  When in need of a read, I just skim what I have in Samples, read the Sample and decide if I like it enough or not.  I have a huge Sample list :P

Oh- and I never buy a book without reading the sample first!

Edited by Anna Begins

Wow, it's all very interesting to hear how you all organise your wishlist. I like the idea of splitting the wishlist into genres, that sounds really good :)! Funny how many of us use Amazon for their wishlist. Thanks for all the tips! I think I will go through my wishlist at some point and at least remove a few books off of it.

Mine are split up too.  :) 

Like Anna Begins I often read the opening pages - either with a Kindle sample or via the 'look inside' feature. : )

On the other hand I would like to be able to extend my reading to material that really catches my eye but is out of my fiscal range, at the moment. 

Do you use the library too?  I use mine sporadically because it's tiny and doesn't have the best selection, but it's good for things I'm not sure about. :)

Another Amazon Wishlist user, i often add books while i'm listening to radio 4 book programmes on iplayer it's just so easy. Now that i've started using the library more i usually check out wether they have some of my wishlist books in their catalogue & only actually buy the ones i know i'm going to want to keep.  :smile:

I too use Amazon as my primary wishlist, but I also use Goodreads.  I now have 134 items on my amazon wishlist (one is a movie), and many have been on there for years.  I remove a book if I receive it as a gift, buy it, or check it out from the library.  A lot of my wishlist items come from bcf members reading lists and entertainment weekly magazine.  I hate to pay full price for books, so if i plan an outing to a used book store, I jot down my most wanted items on a notepad and keep it in my hand as I search.  By the way, a couple of days ago, I found a hard back of Allegiant (Divergent series) for $1 at a thrift store. :yahoo:

By the way, a couple of days ago, I found a hard back of Allegiant (Divergent series) for $1 at a thrift store. :yahoo:

The right place for it, hmmm? :laugh:  No, no, for the record, I liked most of it.

I have a wishlist on Adlibris.com - an online bookstore that I order almost all my books from. Cheaper than other stores and free shipping. Me like. 

Currently on my wishlist:

A book with classic short stories from Guy de Maupassant etc etc

Finding Colin Firth by Mia March (cause I love Colin)
Canada by Richard Ford

Cat's eye by Margaret Atwood

All in the mind by Alastair Campbell

House of leaves by Mark Z Danielewski

2 books by Hjalmar Söderberg

The true story about Pinocchio's nose by Leif GW Persson

Sven Wollter's autobiography

The King of Sweden's book about his 40 years on the throne

A handbook in the Swedish language
...and some more Swedish books

• 3 weeks later...

I have a wee wishlist on here in my reading blog and more on my Goodreads page....I also have one in a notebook that I have in my handbag in case I just happen to pop in to a bookstore/charity shop and check out the shelves.

This forum has made me add so many good reads to wishlists thanks to all you lovely readers on here.

It looks like I'm one of very few who don't have an Amazon wishlist! I never buy from there because the postage costs to Australia are too prohibitive. I keep my wishlist on the Book Depository. I find it very easy to add books there, and I prefer the layout and search functions to Amazon. I also have a spreadsheet of the same books on my wishlist, along with the (current) price and the date it will be published (if it's a pre-order).

There are around 200 books on there at the moment. I don't by any means add every book I want, otherwise I would spend every moment of every day adding books to my wishlist! For instance, there are many classics that I'd like to read, but I don't bother adding them unless I find a particular edition that I'd like. Usually I only add newer books that I've seen recommended here or have found out about elsewhere. And there are probably more non-fiction books than fiction.

I visit my wishlist pretty often; mostly just for fun (yes, I have fun just looking through it :blush2:) and to check if any prices have gone down. Occasionally I'll delete a book if it has been there for a long time and I've since decided I don't want it so much anymore. I only really buy books from there if I'm feeling down and need a pick-me-up or if I want to treat myself. Basically I can use that excuse whenever I want, but I'm trying to be good at the moment!