Pets - 2014

Kylie

^ Pecking order, maybe? I don't know much about chickens, I'm afraid! :smile:

Does anyone know anything about adders, and how common/rare they are? We like to take Reuben up on the moors, but we've heard a couple of stories about adder bites and it's put us off a bit. A GSD was bitten on Dartmoor last week (he's fine), and a lady was bitten a few weeks before that. Anyone have any adder-avoidance tips? It's especially worrying because we tend to walk a fair distance out from the car, and if something did happen, carrying a 25kg lab for a few miles wouldn't be easy. But we don't want to limit/shorten our walks either, because we enjoy it so much.

I've googled it, and some people say they are really rare and slither away, but there still seem to be so many cases of bites. :wacko:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

We have a fair few adders here, we are on heathland and they like to bask in the sun on the paths, they blend in quite well and it is hard to see them. Best to familiarise with what one looks like as if there are adders there will normally be grass snakes and maybe others too.  Often the dogs that get bitten tread on them by mistake but a friends GSD was bitten on the nose as she tried to play with it!  If bitten it will generally swell up quite quickly so you need to get to the Vet asap, preferably carrying the dog as any movement speeds the movement of the venom into the bloodstream. I always carry Piriton (recommended by my Vet) and if bitten the dog will get one of those before I do anything and will give me more time. 

^ Pecking order, maybe? I don't know much about chickens, I'm afraid! :smile:

x

The chicken have been together for over two years, the pecking order is well established and the hens don't normally fight like this over it. Thanks though :).

We have a fair few adders here, we are on heathland and they like to bask in the sun on the paths, they blend in quite well and it is hard to see them. Best to familiarise with what one looks like as if there are adders there will normally be grass snakes and maybe others too.  Often the dogs that get bitten tread on them by mistake but a friends GSD was bitten on the nose as she tried to play with it!  If bitten it will generally swell up quite quickly so you need to get to the Vet asap, preferably carrying the dog as any movement speeds the movement of the venom into the bloodstream. I always carry Piriton (recommended by my Vet) and if bitten the dog will get one of those before I do anything and will give me more time. 

I read about Piriton, and will always keep some on me when I go up on the moors. I think we might just have to be more cautious and not stray too far from the car during the Spring/Summer months. I've yet to see an adder, but have seen loads of pictures online, so will know what to look for. Reuben loves to go rummaging in the long grass, so I will probably keep him on a short lead now. :wacko:

I've yet to see an adder, but have seen loads of pictures online, so will know what to look for.

*google* Yuck- just yuck!  I hate snakes!   Cant those things kill you? 

• 3 weeks later...

My uncle and his family have taken with them one mother hen and three of the little chicks. They will keep one chick and bring back the others, but they want a hen and it's too early to tell if they're male or female. Anyway, after they left there were two mother chicken with two little chicks left where we have them now (we moved them yesterday because they had escaped on their own), in the wooden shed / house. Sometime later today I heard my mum screaming angrily (to Boris) so I went outside to see what was going on. It turned out, Boris had managed to get into the shed and into the chicken's pen (closed off on all sides including the top), taken a bite out of one of the hens and made them really scared. There were feathers all over the floor. We thought he had eaten them all. My dad had a good look around and found them, they were hiding and being very quiet (a smart move I think). Luckily the two chicks and their mothers are still alive so we've put them back in their pen. It's not unusual though that a chicken can still die of shock a day or two after the event happened (we've had that happen before with a cockrel), so I just hope they'll all be allright :(. I love those two mothers, they're the sweetest kindest chicken we have. And those little baby chicks, so young. One of the mothers has a bald bum now, with a bite taken out of it, so I hope she will be allright. I was there earlier but they were still too much in shock to eat the strawberry I made for them. I hope they will be allright :(. Boris' breed is not a hunter so maybe he just wanted to play but it's weird. He's still attacking the goats even though he's just over two years old and we tell him off every time. But I hope my mum's anger teaches him this is really not allowed.

Aww, I'm sorry to hear that. :( I hope that the hens are ok.

I think that is just the way dogs are though. Natural hunters, even though the breed may not be known for it. We used to have Muscovie ducks, and had to keep the dogs away from them, or be right there when they were in the same yard.

Edited by pontalba

Thanks Kate. The hens are still really scared whenever we come in, the chicks are fine though. I hope the hens will feel better with time, if they survive the next few days they should be allright I hope.

I had to bring my cat Sascha to the animal ER on Wed morning for what turned out to be a urinary tract infection.  They also found something else that may indicate diabetes, so I'm scared for her :(  I'm taking her to her regular vet this afternoon and am hoping for better news.  She's been taking pain meds and antibiotics so hopefully her infection is on it's way out. 

Poor baby!  I hope Sascha feels better soon. 

Re the diabetes, there is a Prescription Diet food that helps control diabetes.  Science Diet puts it out.  Not sure if it is in both canned and dry though.  Probably is.  I've had cats with diabetes, and pretty easily controlled it with pills.

BTW, another cat, about 20(ish) years ago that we had was diagnosed with diabetes, and we had to give him injections, but he got over the disease!  The vet told us at the time that cats are the only animals that get over it.  Amazing! 

Thanks, Pontalba and Athena :)

It's good to hear from someone else who has had experience with this, Pontalba.  I'm very interested in hearing about the food too, since she clearly needs to put on some weight.  I feel so bad for not noticing how thin she's gotten.  She's always just her energetic self and eats whenever she wants since I keep food in her dish at all times.  I feel bad because I've been so pre-occupied with other things that I didn't take her in for her checkup when I should have.  It wasn't until last week when I noticed I haven't been filling her food dish very often that I knew something might be up.

I asked the ER vet what can bring on diabetes in a cat that's almost 9 years old, and who hasn't had any health issues to speak of.  His only response was to ask if she had ever been overweight and I said no, that she's always been a wee thing.  The glucose they found in her urine may also just be because of stress, so hopefully it's as simple as clearing up her infection and getting some weight on her.  But what you said, Pontalba, makes me feel better if it in fact is something more serious.  Thank you!

Unfortunately, all my worries came true yesterday and I had to have Sascha put down :(.  She had stage 4 kidney failure and there wasn't anything that could be done for her.  I've been crying ever since, it seems, and I feel horrible that I didn't somehow find out about her issues sooner so I could help.  She was only 9 and I blame myself for not being a more responsible owner and taking her to the vet on a more regular basis.  The vet told me I wouldn't have known anything unless I had bloodwork done on her on a yearly basis. 

I'd post a picture of her but I can't really look it her right now :(.

Unfortunately, all my worries came true yesterday and I had to have Sascha put down :(.  She had stage 4 kidney failure and there wasn't anything that could be done for her.  I've been crying ever since, it seems, and I feel horrible that I didn't somehow find out about her issues sooner so I could help.  She was only 9 and I blame myself for not being a more responsible owner and taking her to the vet on a more regular basis.  The vet told me I wouldn't have known anything unless I had bloodwork done on her on a yearly basis. 

I'd post a picture of her but I can't really look it her right now :(.

:( :( oh, peacefield. I am so very, very sorry.

Kidney failure and feline leukemia are the most common problems of cats. Kidney failure, because they eat only (for the most part) protein. That is very hard on the kidneys.

There is a vaccination against fe-leuk, but nothing I know of to help guard the kidneys. Some cats are just more prone than others.

You gave her a happy life, remember that. /hugs/

Thanks Sari and Chrissy :)  Sometimes I wish I wasn't such an animal person, then I wouldn't have to go through this every decade or so.

Here is a photo of Sascha I took this past Friday.  I was at home that day, sitting at the dining room table, and letting Sascha out on the deck to sit in the sun.  I took this photo without knowing that it was the last one I would take of her.  I'm so glad I took it.

post-8818-0-89206100-1403026088_thumb.jpg

What a pretty cat!

Oh M, what a darling she is, and how great that your last pic of her is such a fab one of her enjoying the sunshine. :smile: I will always carry the hurt at the loss of my animals, but the joy they give is worth all the ache .........well mostly, as sometimes it just bl**dy hurts. :friends0:

Thanks Sari and Chrissy :)  Sometimes I wish I wasn't such an animal person, then I wouldn't have to go through this every decade or so.

Here is a photo of Sascha I took this past Friday.  I was at home that day, sitting at the dining room table, and letting Sascha out on the deck to sit in the sun.  I took this photo without knowing that it was the last one I would take of her.  I'm so glad I took it.

I've never had to go through the loss of a pet, because I've only ever wanted a dog but have not been able to have one because of allergies: so in essence, I don't personally know just how difficult it is to lose your beloved, adored pet who's part of the family and your best friend. But I can imagine it's just heart breaking  :empathy:  You keep expecting her to walk over and hop on the couch and meow... It's bloody hard!  :empathy:

Sascha was beautiful and you have all the good memories. It's really really difficult, and nothing will make it better. And now I don't know how to express my thoughts.... So just go and re-read what Chrissy wrote in the post above!  :empathy: