Pets - 2014

Kylie

He's still a very good boy....very obedient and well-behaved. He has calmed down a lot, and spends a lot of the day sleeping (which is actually a blessing). He's dreadful for begging for food, though, but that's typical of a lab.  He likes to wrestle a bit, and can sometimes be a bit cheeky, but really he's the sweetest pup. Honestly, we couldn't have asked for a better dog......we both feel so lucky!

Good boy Reuben! I loved the pics on FB, but there were too many to comment on every one, even though I felt tempted :D He's such a happy looking, handsome chap, isn't he! Hehe, certainly a typical Lab... Always after food :giggle: I think I may have been a Lab in a previous life...

Dylan has always had the role of elder statesman and will put up with an awful lot from my pups but even now, aged nearly 15.5 years, when he puts his paw down they know he's not messing about.

Elder statesman :D Love the description!

Some lovely photos in here of all your pets!

Here's a recent photo of Pamuk:

attachicon.gifPamuk.jpg

And here's a recent photo of Boris:

attachicon.gifBoris.jpg

They are doing well. Boris's toe doesn't seem to bother him as much anymore. He likes to chew up the old paper and often manages to find just that bit that's been recently added to the pile. Pamuk is such a sweetie and often sits next to me when I sit on the sofa. Boris and Pamuk such nice dogs

Pamuk's so adorable... :wub: And Boris looks like he's after a bit of mischief :D I don't know why, but I always think Boris is a bit mischievous :D

Emelee, Neo's a big boy already! :o So adorable :wub:

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's not nice at all :(. Do they have a cat pole or cat toys they can scratch instead?

Yes - we're on our third pole as they've destroyed the first two!

My Neo is now 2 years old. Still (and always) my little baby boy though. :)

1484272_10152524963498626_213539091_n.jp

He is adorable Emelee :smile: 

Loving all the pics of the doggies and puss cats .. need to get a pic of Molly in her new spot collar (which she asked for .. naturally :giggle:) .. she doesn't like pics though :blush2: 

• 2 weeks later...

Neo is gorgeous, I'm glad you enjoy him so much. Try not to think too much about his age, the time flies by far too fast, I can't believe my old boy is 15, but I treasure every day and that is what is most important. :)

That is some age. :) One should never think much about the future. The present is the golden tense. 

Neo really shocked me tonight. He was bleeding a little bit from his paw after the evening walk, and me and mom were going to check it. He was all hyper, and in retrospect it was a mistake. Mom ended up touching a spot that obviously hurt hm, and he bit mom on her hand. Must have hit an artery cause it was bleeding quite much from the wound, which wasn't really big or deep. As I've been a nurse's assistant, I know how to handle some of these things. So I tried to stop the bleeding and put compressors on and a bandage. Then drove her to the ER to have it checked out. There they cleaned it with better things, did a bacteria test and gave her a tetanus shot. 

Neo was really ashamed at what he had done. Dad said he was so sad looking when we were away. He was so happy when we came back.

It was a pure accident. Neo is in no way aggressive or anything like it. When he feels unsafe for some reason, he wants to leave the situation and not attack. Like when he meets a reindeer in the woods, or something falls on top of him. His first instinct is always to back away. He dislikes aggressive dogs who bark at him and pretends he can't see or hear them. He only wants to greet friendly dogs. In my opinion, he reacted like normal animals and humans react when someone deliberately pushes where you've got pain. Lord knows I've had to stop myself from hitting people when they've touched me where I've been injured. 

I don't know what the protocol says about what you should do after this kind of event, but we are acting normal around him, and he's acting normal back. 

It definitely sounds like an accident. It must've hurt Neo really bad to react like that, and it feels like if he could, he would take it all back. I'm sure it was just a one-off, and it's not going to happen again. Poor Neo! I think you're doing the right thing: acting as if everything's normal :)

I would agree with frankie, and any Vet will tell you that any dog can nip/bite when in pain, hence why a Vet will always ask the owner to hold the head when examining a dog. Obi is generally unpredictable so I always muzzle him when he is being examined as will probably do the same with Jojo when she gets older and stronger.

It might be worth, for your own peace of mind as it may never happen again, purchasing a soft cloth muzzle and getting him used to it for occasions like this, put it on for a few seconds and treat with food, and keep doing this without trying to examine him, so that he associates it with good experiences, and gradually build up the time that he has it on. Many dogs are particularly sensitive about having their feet touched (Dylan is very ticklish!) so you can also so the same with them, gently touch them when he is happy and calm, teach him to give paw, high five, again with lots of rewards so that he gets used to it, and it isn't such a shock when you do have to touch them.

I hope your Mum and Neo are feeling much better soon.  :friends3:

I am 100% sure it was an accident. Mom is much better. The wound didn't look bad when we checked today. Only one tooth had gone through the skin. But that one tooth hit a blood vessel, hence the bleeding. So what looked like a big wound actually wasn't all that big or deep. She won't need any antibiotics or stiches. 

Neo does have a muzzle. He wears it every day actually. When on his walks. He eats so much crap outside otherwise. Cones, twigs and anything he finds interesting. That's why he got sick last summer, he ate something bad outside. Since then he gets to wear the muzzle. He also wears the muzzle when we cut his claws because he really hates that after he started bleeding once. 

I don't know why we didn't even think of putting the muzzle on yesterday when we examined his paw (which is just fine today, by the way). He was already pumped up with adrenaline after playing outside in the snow. 

While he isn't the biggest fan of the muzzle, he doesn't protest wearing it. He's used to it. And he always gets a little treat after we take it off again. 

So both he and mom were perfectly fine today. So I am really relieved. 

I haven't been in the pet section in a long time, but came in tonight just to have a look at all the photos. You guys all have such neat pets.

Chalie

I LOVE your older dog's face and eyes. He looks like he is a wise old man with a lot of knowledge behind those eyes .

Ian

Forgive me for laughing ,but it was funny when you yelled at the cat for scraping the wallpaper off the wall and your cat and wife were both taking sides against you that night ! Maybe you were in the dog house ?

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I think he can't very well see where he's going :giggle2: as he tends to run in to us or ie. a door, when he gets excited and runs around too fast.

Yes, my Luka can hardly see right now, as he really needs a cut!  I might have to do his face myself, but he is REALLY fuzzy right now!

The other night, I noticed he was limping so I inspected his paw and found a burr in between his toe fur and his pad fur.  I started to untangle the fur to get it out and it hurt him so bad he started growling... but not at me!  He turned to the wall and growled really quiet.  I got the burr out and he jumped up and licked my face and then my hand.  He totally knew I was helping him.  Dogs are so cool.

Edited by Anna Begins

The other night, I noticed he was limping so I inspected his paw and found a burr in between his toe fur and his pad fur.  I started to untangle the fur to get it out and it hurt him so bad he started growling... but not at me!  He turned to the wall and growled really quiet.  I got the burr out and he jumped up and licked my face and then my hand.  He totally knew I was helping him.  Dogs are so cool.

x

Awwww :(, I'm so glad he's allright again! It's so sweet when dogs know we're helping them :).

Dogs are much smarter than many give them credit for. You can look upon dogs as students. If you think highly of their ability to handle things and understand things, they will grow and really manage those things. But if you don't have much faith in what they can do, they will never achieve much under your leadership.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Something quite weird happened yesterday. Two female chicken were fighting each other. The cockrell was standing next to it, he didn't do anything to stop it. I've never seen two females fight before. We think it might have something to do with that they might've been sitting on a nest. We took the eggs away since there's a lot of chicken sitting on nests and we don't want too many new little chicken. So maybe they were upset over that. It was really strange to see. They were all puffed up and pecking each other on the face. They seem to have stopped after I pulled them apart several times, I haven't seen them do it since.