Discworld series by Terry Pratchett

Angury

Yep.  I have everything both of them have written as well.  

Although... I'm getting a bit fed up with Fforde.  He writes every book as part of a series and then changes his mind and you don't get the second one!  Nursery Crimes, for instance.  Brilliant idea, great story........ chopped off in it's prime.

• 1 month later...

I'll get it when it's out in paperback as I much prefer that format. It is sad in a way :(. I think though, the way I see it, Terry was a generally cheerful person, I'm not sure what he would've thought of people handing out tissues. It is a nice gesture though :).

The Guardian's art critic(?) Jonathan Jones has won himself a whole lot of new fans by posting an article saying that Pratchett is not a literary genius, but he's never read any of his books . . .

The article reads like a trolling forum post and is now trending on Twitter.

• 4 months later...

I saw this petition earlier today but I'm not sure how I feel about it. I love Terry Pratchett (as you may have noticed...) and I think it's brilliant that people want to remember him this way but I'm just not sure how I feel about assigning 'Octarine' to a real element. It's meant to be literally the colour of magic, the 'pigment of the imagination' as the article above quotes, 'a sign that mere matter was a servant of the powers of the magical mind.' If element 117 is given this name then Octarine will be a word for something that is mere matter, when the point is surely that the imagination is more than that, it's something that isn't bound by the rules of the rational world.

I know I'm probably overthinking something that's just meant to be a nice gesture but still, half of me wants to sign and the other half doesn't!

It's a sweet idea, but I'm not really sure that I approve (the same as with heavy metal fans petitioning to name another of the new elements of Lemmy). I think we should leave it to the scientists to name them, or name the elements after the scientists who discovered them. I think that's much more fitting...they did all the work, after all!

Having said that, Octarine sounds like quite a good name for an element! :)

I'm going to be a bit controversial and say that I think it's a sweet idea. It's a nice way of remembering Pratchett and linking both the sciences and the humanities together, as well as acknowledging the influence of the Discworld series on our lives.

Edited by Angury

I'm going to be a bit controversial and say that I think it's a sweet idea. It's a nice way of remembering Pratchett and linking both the sciences and the humanities together, as well as acknowledging the influence of the Discworld series on our lives.

I thought my comment was controversial to be honest, the petition has a lot of support, I was surprised anybody agreed with me! :giggle2: ​I do agree it is a sweet idea though, it's lovely that anybody even thought of doing it. I don't even think it is a ​bad ​idea, it's just the thought of taking something that was meant to represent the imaginative and magical element of the world and making it define a thing that is just a piece of normal, rational matter, seems somehow jarring to me. Like it doesn't fit and I'm not sure if it should.

I think its a good idea, and it might just help to interest a few kids in chemistry as well.

Or it might help some chemistry students discover Terry Pratchett, that would be a good effect too :D

Or it might help some chemistry students discover Terry Pratchett, that would be a good effect too :D

I studied chemistry, and it was one of my fellow students who recommended Terry Pratchett to me and made me start reading his books :D.

• 3 months later...