Discworld series by Terry Pratchett

Angury

I started reading these books a few days ago, and I'm hooked. So far I've read Mort and Small Gods, and I'm just about to start Guards! Guards!

I was about to start reading Thud, but then came across this:

http://www.lspace.org/books/reading-order-guides/the-discworld-reading-order-guide-20.jpg

So thought it might be best to start with Guards! Guards! first. I know there's no particular order to the books, but is it best to follow the above guide, to understand the characters arcs? I was hoping to go on to Thud straight after Guards - does it matter that I'll have skipped some of the books in the Nightwatch 'series'?

What are your favourite books from Discworld? I've heard a lot about Sam Vimes which is why I've decided to give Guards a go. I also enjoyed the character of Death in Mort, I'm planning to buy Reaper Man soon. :)

I love the Discworld books! I also like the Watch, as well as Rincewind and the three witches, Death's great too, I love his character. I've read so far the first 22 books in the series (according to GoodReads). I'm reading them in series order. I do find though that I have to be in a certain mood for them, and when I've read one I then want to read something else. I love Terry Pratchett's humour, the books are great. I also like the three TV films they've made.

Hi Angury, glad you're enjoying Discworld! :) I've read a fair few of them myself, not necessarily in the 'correct' order, and found that it doesn't really seem to matter what order I read them in since I almost always enjoy them. 

I have heard that it's better to read them in their 'groups' (all the Watch books together, all the witches, all the Rincewind etc.), but I really don't think it matters too much. I think I started with something like book #31, then read book #28, then went right to #1. :shrug:

I did start buying and reading them in series order, and oddly enough I'm up to Guards! Guards! as well (it's on this year's TBR). But I've read others on their own and enjoyed them much more than the earlier ones which I read in order. Hogfather and Going Postal are both fantastic, as is The Truth and Night Watch

Gaia, I love the witches too, especially Nanny Ogg and her drunken singing. :giggle2:

Which was everybody's favourite TV film? Mine is Hogfather, I think. :)

ETA: Angury, Death is one of the main characters in Hogfather, and I think you'll enjoy it for this reason! :)

Edited by Signor Finzione

Reaped man is another good one :) Vimes is my favorite character next to Rincewind so I would give any of the books with him in a try :) I wouldn't worry to much about trying to read them in order as I have read them randomly (depending on what books the library had if any :) ) for years an it never made that much of a difference to my understanding of the characters.

As for favorite books hmmm the list would have to start with The Last Continent as that was the first one I ever read and was the book that truly sparked my love of reading, then Guards! Guards!, The Colour of Magic, The Light Fantastic, The Times, Men at Arms and so on lol :)

• 2 months later...

Has anyone read Pratchett's new novel, Raising Steam? I looked it up, and it seems to be about the character Moist von Lipwig, so I'm going to start reading Going Postal (which is apparently the first novel he appears in) and work my way through to Making Money, then Raising Steam.

I know you can read the novels in any order, but I prefer to begin at the start of a characters storyline to see how they develop. It was particularly interesting seeing Vimes change throughout his story arc.

Hi Angury, glad you're enjoying Discworld! :) I've read a fair few of them myself, not necessarily in the 'correct' order, and found that it doesn't really seem to matter what order I read them in since I almost always enjoy them.

I have heard that it's better to read them in their 'groups' (all the Watch books together, all the witches, all the Rincewind etc.), but I really don't think it matters too much. I think I started with something like book #31, then read book #28, then went right to #1. :shrug:

I did start buying and reading them in series order, and oddly enough I'm up to Guards! Guards! as well (it's on this year's TBR). But I've read others on their own and enjoyed them much more than the earlier ones which I read in order. Hogfather and Going Postal are both fantastic, as is The Truth and Night Watch.

Gaia, I love the witches too, especially Nanny Ogg and her drunken singing. :giggle2:

Which was everybody's favourite TV film? Mine is Hogfather, I think. :)

ETA: Angury, Death is one of the main characters in Hogfather, and I think you'll enjoy it for this reason! :)

What did you think of Guards! Guards!

I'm currently reading The Reaperman, although I've taken a short break as it seemed to be turning into a chore for me. I do love Death though, so I'll come back to it. The Hogfather is also high on my to-read list.

I agree with you Athena, I think you need to be in a certain mood to read them.

My favourite novel in the series so far is Small Gods - I loved the humour tied in with religion, particularly the idea of the "Great God Om" being stuck as a turtle. :P Poor guy.

Edited by Angury

Hi Angury,

I recall starting with the Witches.  My two favourite characters in Discworld are Granny Weatherwax and Sam Vimes.  I found the first book, The Colour of Magic hard to keep my interest but enjoyed the rest of the series.  When it comes to the Sam Vimes arc there's Guards Guards, Men at Arms, Feet of Clay, JingoFifth Elephant, Night Watch, Thud and Snuff.  If you skip one you may miss out on a bit of the Watch's story line.  Some of the characters you'll meet are Nobby, Colon, Carrot, Angua, Detritus and Cheery.

I'm reading the books in the Discworld order, so all the story lines are in order. I don't own Raising Steam, I'm waiting for the paperback release. I haven't yet read a book with Moist von Lipwig in it but I saw the film Going Postal which I loved. So I'm pretty sure I'll love the book Going Postal too.

I'm reading the books in the Discworld order, so all the story lines are in order. I don't own Raising Steam, I'm waiting for the paperback release. I haven't yet read a book with Moist von Lipwig in it but I saw the film Going Postal which I loved. So I'm pretty sure I'll love the book Going Postal too.

That sounds like a good plan, reading the books in their order. I would do that myself except I got a bit bored with Colour of Magic. :(

What book are you on in the series atm? My aim is to finish Reaperman pretty soon.

Btw, did you notice Terry Pratchett's cameo in Going Postal? :)

Edited by Angury

That sounds like a good plan, reading the books in their order. I would do that myself except I got a bit bored with Colour of Magic. :(

What book are you on in the series atm? My aim is to finish Reaperman pretty soon.

Btw, did you notice Terry Pratchett's cameo in Going Postal? :)

x

Carpe Jugulum is the next one to read for me.

I thought the cameo was awesome! He makes a cameo appearance in all three TV films, I love that.

• 4 months later...

I finished reading The Hogfather yesterday - easily the best out of the books I've read so far in the series. I loved the little puns throughout the story, and the idea of the Verruca Gnome and Cheerful Fairy were well done.

I want to read all the books in the Death series now, although I'm going to give Going Postal a go first after all the praise I've heard about it.

• 8 months later...

I've just started reading The Light Fantastic, only my second Discworld novel, I'm going to read all the character arcs in order, starting with Rincewind then probably Death.

Also found this brilliant art for the series:

http://art.marcsimonetti.com/127814/1270280/illustration/sir-terry-pratchett-s-discworld

I hope you enjoy it :).

That is beautiful art! Thanks for sharing :).

I've just started reading The Light Fantastic, only my second Discworld novel, I'm going to read all the character arcs in order, starting with Rincewind then probably Death.

You may get more out of them if you read them in publication order as characters quite often turn up in other books outside their own series, as it were (especially with Vimes and the Watch).  Usually their appearance is pretty minor (Rincewind popping up in Mort, for example) but sometimes not (as in two different groups popping up in Lords and Ladies).

Thanks for the info, Raven. I've always felt like I would never be able to catch up with all the Discworld books (up to #6), but now that I finally can, I don't really want to. :(

• 3 months later...

I'm really torn on reading The Shepherd's Crown.  As usual with a new PTerry, I can't wait.  But it's the last one.   But I'm really excited to read it.  But it's the last one.  There will be no more.

And that hurts.  

Oh well....  I'll read it.  But I will be hurting.

I'll be reading it for sure! I loved the Tiffany Aching series and always wanted another one so when The Shepherd's Crown publication was announced I was delighted. 

I haven't read all of Terry Pratchett's books, so I still feel like I have lots of reading pleasure ahead before I feel his writing loss. 

I have read most of Terry Pratchett's books, but not all. I also like the Tiffany Aching series and think I will give The Shepherd's Crown a go. It is difficult to lose an author that you really enjoy.