Inver's Reading List 2014

Inver

'The Invention of Wings' by Sue Monk Kidd

I received this free copy as a Giveaway via Goodreads. Wow...a very powerful read given that it was based on the true story of the Grimke sisters in the time of slavery in the 1800's. I always find this subject matter difficult to comprehend at times, as to how one human being can be so cruel to another and found some of the descriptions a bit harrowing to read at times.

The relationship between Sarah and 'Handful' Hettie was one of what had to be a distant friendship, but they made it work until times change and they have to separate. It made me think of how brave both women were in this era and how hard the life of a slave was.....thank goodness times have changed. How a girl could be given a slave on her 11th birthday is beyond me!!

This subject matter of this book was well researched and I wasn't aware of how women were involved in the abolition of slavery, but now I have a bit of understanding of how they did.

4/5

Edited by Inver

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

'The Good Father' by Diane Chamberlain

My third read by this author, but my least favourite so far. I didn't not enjoy it, but found this one didn't hold my interest the same and wasn't as much of a page turner.

The chapters alternate between Travis, Erin and Robin.

Travis, the father and is determined to bring up his daughter on his own but times are tough and life throws difficulties at him from all directions. Should he accept a one of job to help them, or will it put his beloved little Bella in danger.

He meets Erin, a grieving mother,  at 'Jumpstart' café one morning and is there in his time of need, but the circumstances that follow actually help her come to terms with the loss of her daughter. She agrees to look after Bella while he takes on the job, but things don't go to plan and she has here for longer than expected.

Robin, who is the mother of Bella, was born with a heart defect and is only alive due to a heart donor. She became pregnant when she was seriously ill as a teenager and she decided to give her baby after giving birth. This was a secret she would have to live with. She eventually finds out that Travis and her daughter are in trouble and her engagement to Dale takes a back seat when she finds out things about him she doesn't like.

It all comes together eventually but there were parts that I thought could have been more believable. All in all, Travis only wanted to be a 'good father'

3.5/5

• 3 weeks later...

'Arms Wide Open' by Tom Winter

Blurb

'Jack and Meredith are non-identical twins. Their father died before they were born and now they both have to watch as their mother sinks further in to the grip of early-onset dementia.
Jack s career has crashed and burned, all that remains is a Maserati and a nervous disposition. Meredith s world is also crumbling the decomposing yogurt in her fridge a symbol of her newly-expired marriage. Her children, Jemima and Luke, offer little support, too consumed with the world of online dating and amateur taxidermy.
One day, a throwaway comment starts Jack wondering if their father really died. As they begin to untangle the revelations, the twins are forced to ponder both the past and the future: their memories of their mother, their hopes for finding their father, and the fear of what s in their bloodline.'

I was sent a copy of this through Goodreads as a giveaway. It is not an author that I was familiar with, but was willing to give it a read. I am grateful to have been given the chance to read it.

I felt it was very slow to start and was finding the characters a bit difficult to like, however I persevered and the second half of the book was more enjoyable. Going back and forth between past and present was a bit annoying but it was necessary to understand what the past had to do with the present circumstances. It was emotional at times and on occasions quite humorous. One of the characters is in the early stages of dementia, which was dealt with in a sensitive manner (and struck a note with me from personal experience). I think Jack was my favourite character.

3/5

Edited by Inver

Not heard of Tom Winter, Inver but i seem to have read quite a few books lately where the story moves between the past & present so it must be quite a popular writing style. I think sometimes it works well & keeps you hooked but as you say sometimes it can be a bit annoying  :smile:

• 3 weeks later...

'Someone Else's Son' by Samantha Hayes

I have read other Samantha Hayes in the past, but this wasn't my favourite. It was a bit depressing and I found that it was dragging on a bit too long before it came to a conclusion.

Max, the son of Carrie Kent TV presenter, is found stabbed to death outside his school. I found her a bit irritating if truth be told...too much time for her job and not enough for her son. His father Brody, lives elsewhere. Max goes between the two parents but neither of them seem to have any clue what goes on in their sons life. Ultimately he is lonely until he meets up with Dayna, who seems to be a lot like him.

The tale drifts in and out of past and present laying the way to the final tragic outcome and the conclusion is possibly not what you would have predicted and if a little disappointing, not quite sure why.

3/5

• 2 weeks later...

'Small Wars' by Sadie Jones (author of The Outcast, which I have read)

Hal Treherne, wife Clara and their twin daughters are moved to Cyprus during the civil war in the 50's. It is a time of change for them both and with it a trying time for their marriage.

Hal being a military man and having to cope with the day to day situations on the island. At times these are harrowing having to deal with the brutality of war is difficult. Clara tries to be a good army wife and taking care of their young daughters, despite not feeling totally at ease or safe. Each have their difficulties. Once a close couple but now the military life is coming between them. Hal finds if difficult to separate one from the other at times and can't disclose his feelings and in time it comes to a head and inevitably has symptoms of what we now know as post traumatic stress. Clara is involved in a shooting and hospitalised and eventually they are all shipped home to England, although Hal should not be with them and has to deal with the consequences once the army catch up with him.

I found this book harrowing at times to read, as I always do when any details of war are part of a book I am reading, but it gives me an understanding of what it was like. It was also sad, not a happy read, but it was well researched and sensitively written. Only one story of many thousands I am sure that has happened to lots of military personnel and families in times of war.

4/5

• 2 weeks later...

'16 Lighthouse Road' by Debbie Macomber

I wanted a light read after my last book and this fitted the bill.  I enjoy Debbie Macomber and her cosy, friendly books and it didn't disappoint.

Based in a small town called Cedar Cove resides Judge Olivia Lockheart and the recent case that has come before her involves a young couple Ian and Ceclia who want a divorce, but she denies them. She wants them to try to sort things out. It is an uphill struggle as the death of their baby is the heart of their separation.

Her daughter Justine could possibly be making a mistake with her recent relationship with the 'older' Warren and Olivia hopes she will reconsider her decisions.....then Seth comes on the scene much to Olivia's delight as she much prefers him for her daughter.

Grace, her friend, is having serious doubts that her husband could be having an affair and he eventually just ups and leaves her. She tries to find out where he has gone but to no avail and she and her two daughters have to accept the fact he will probably not return.

The characters intermingle and some of the characters and the story lines include, divorce, bereavement, alcoholism, love and family relationships. Some are brought to a conclusion but perhaps one is left a bit open ended I felt, which was fine in a good way. I enjoyed the read and may look out for another one in the Cedar Cove series.

4/5

• 2 weeks later...

'The Distance Between Us' by Maggie O'Farrell

I wasn't sure that I was enjoying this book but I kept with it. Initially I thought it was just going to be about two different people with no connection, but however it eventually came together. Stella and Jake not knowing of each others existence, one in London and the other in Hong Kong. Each have their own trauma and reasons for coming to Scotland and eventually their paths cross and so starts a turmoil of characters, will they won't they get together.

I did find it hard to keep up with the number of characters in the book initially and the lack of chapters as such and found it slightly annoying at times, however things settled down once into the second half of the book. It is a story of love, trauma, the bond between sisters and a touch of mystery thrown in. I enjoyed it and the tiny twist at the end tidied it all together.

3/5

• 4 weeks later...

'The Tea Chest' by Josephine Moon

Another free copy via a giveaway on Goodreads.

Delightful, easy read, nice characters and simple storyline. 'The Tea Chest' involves the coming together of three women, with one thing in mind, to make 'The Tea Chest' a success. For Kate it meant leaving her family behind in Australia and pursuing and completing the opening of the shop in London. Leila and Elizabeth have a chance meeting with Kate and come on board. It comes with the usual trials and tribulations, trusting a stranger with your money is never easy. Relationships are tense at times and things don't run smoothly. However the writer gathered up the storyline and gave it a satisfactory ending. I possibly found it a bit 'sweet' towards the end, but having said that it was about a 'tea shop' so it had to have a bit of sugar added!

I loved the detail to the tea tasting and how flavours come together. Would love to visit the shop. All in all I enjoyed this read and I'm sure I will find a 'tea-loving' friend to pass this book on to.

4/5

• 1 month later...

'Mercy' by Jodi Picoult

Well it has taken me some time to read this one and to be honest it was disappointing. It started off quite well with the main story being Jamie and confessing to killing his wife. This set the plot or so I thought, but for me it turned out more about the relationship between Cam and Allie. I doubt this one will stay with me at all I'm afraid. I did have to continue to the end in order to find out the conclusion of Jamie and his court case but I even found that a bit predictable.

Not one I would be recommending as a must read I have to say.

2/5

• 1 month later...

'The Villa in Italy' by Elizabeth Edmondson

Four total stranger are summoned to Italy to the Villa Dante.  Beatrice Malaspina has named them in her will and each travel to see what fate will be bestowed upon them.

Likable characters and enchanting descriptions of the villa and the gardens. A gentle building of the plot and bringing together of the mystery of how they are all linked to Beatrice. I enjoyed it enough but I was beginning to long for the conclusion. A few twists in the end but tied up neatly.

It almost had the taste of an Agatha Christie mystery.

3/5

'Before the Storm' by Diane Chamberlain

A local church is burnt to the ground and the finger points at Andy Lockwood. Andy has Foetal Alcohol Spectrum Disorder but he turns hero when he leads those trapped in the burning church to safety. Unfortunately there may be evidence against him.....could he have actually set the fire?

Laurel, his mother believes her precious boy is innocent. She loves her son very much and will do all in her power to save him having lost him once when he was born she will not turn her back on him again. Maggie his sister loves her brother too and will protect him.

Other characters Jamie, his dad, Marcus his Uncle.

Each chapter is told by one of the characters, this seems to be the way of Diane's book, but it always adds to the writing and gives more of an incite into the characters.

I didn't know what the outcome of this was going to be as I knew there was a follow on book
'Secrets She Left Behind'. The closer it got the end the more I wanted to know the outcome, but took my time and didn't read it too quickly in case I missed something important. There were a few twists towards the end I wasn't expecting but it didn't disappoint. I hope it isn't too long before I can read the next one...!

5/5  Recommend this one.

'Stolen' by Lesley Pearse

Well this was a short read....!

Ok...so you finish a really good book and want to try an author you haven't read before. Why did I pick this one of my shelf?? The blurb on the back sounded like quite a good storyline...girl washed up on the beach, no memory, how did she get there...blah blah. Well I have to say this was the best part of the book...! Yes it would make a really 'bad movie' with really 'bad actors' if made for a 'really bad movie channel'...don't read it. All I can say is I only got to page 42 and threw it away...!

The writing was awful, the characters were awful and too nicey, nicey. Didn't like the background setting....it just wasn't my kind of read at all and I will not be reading any more of this author, even if some other reviewers disagree.

Good luck to anyone else who gives this a go...!

(in fact I don't even know why I gave it a star at all...!)

1/5

Edited by Inver